61 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,238 Thanks
  • 5,076 posts

Posted February 04, 2015 - 08:34 AM

My friend bought a some ice fishing poles, an auger and some other crap last weekend.  He wanted to go try it out last night as the lakes are completely frozen over.  I was quite nervous about walking on ice.  Quite an odd feeling.

We climbed out on the ice along the shore, went out about 5 feet, drill a test hole.  I ice was over 10" thick!  Figured we were golden, so we went out and drilled 5 holes, one for each pole.  Sat on a bucket for about an hour, and didn't catch anything.

Sure was fun though, and a neat experience.  Anyone into ice fishing?  I never thought of trying it before.

Didn't take any pictures, left my phone in the truck since I was afraid if one us fell in and we had to call for help then our phones would be wet and wouldn't work.

• hamman, Username, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 bh115577 ONLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted February 04, 2015 - 08:45 AM

I live on a lake, well about 150 yards from it anyway, that sees a lot of ice fishermen. They say that it's best to find some structure or a drop off that the bait fish hang around.

I don't care to be out on the ice unless it's thick enough to hold a freight train.  :biting_nails: 

• Alc, oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#3 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted February 04, 2015 - 08:46 AM

Locally the die hard icefishers build a fishing shack.

They mount a solar cell on the roof, put a battery and inverter in so the 19 inch flat panel tv will work, throw in a few led lights and a small fan to blow the heat around from the lp heater and kick back and fish.

Fall comes and it is a hunting shack. These are usually built on an old popup camper frame.

Personally haven't been ice fishing for a long time. I did enjoy it though.

#4 DennyIN OFFLINE  

DennyIN
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 290 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted February 04, 2015 - 08:59 AM

Did it the hard way, no shelter. Great fun when the sun shines, the wind don't blow, and the fish bite.

#5 Little Irish Men ONLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 661 Thanks
  • 385 posts

Posted February 04, 2015 - 09:31 AM

When i think of ice fishing I think of the  movie grumpy old men . How nice it is to have a little shack , a little heat , 2 or 3 poles, some bait, and a full cooler of refreshments. Down here in miserere it don't get cold enough to ice fish or skate . I drove from iowa city,iowa 

were they were ice fishing and when i got home to cow town it was 65 to 70 degrees. :thumbs:

Patrick.

• MH81, Alc, Titus and 1 other said thanks

#6 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted February 04, 2015 - 09:47 AM

I went half a dozen times several years ago it some local small lakes.We caught musky,bass and northern pike.My friend caught this 50 something inch musky that barely fit through the hole.We bored through 28 inches of ice at Mahoning Dam and got nice and warm doing so.

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture.jpg

• Alc, HANKG and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#7 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,238 Thanks
  • 5,076 posts

Posted February 04, 2015 - 10:08 AM

I went half a dozen times several years ago it some local small lakes.We caught musky,bass and northern pike.My friend caught this 50 something inch musky that barely fit through the hole.We bored through 28 inches of ice at Mahoning Dam and got nice and warm doing so.

Impressive.  We were wore out after the 14" thick hole.  It was rough going with the hang auger.  Maybe we are wimps lol

#8 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted February 04, 2015 - 10:15 AM

I went a few times as a kid. never caught anything. I didnt have an auger and chopping through 8" of ice with an ax probably had something to do with it

• Alc, toomanytoys84 and Bill 76 have said thanks

#9 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted February 04, 2015 - 10:15 AM

As kids we used to ice fish all winter long. My dad and uncle would drag us out on the lake with them to fish. It was fun at the time but didn't really understand how much fun it was and the memories we were building until much later in life. Love to eat fish and sure wish now my dad was alive to go out again and fish and listen to stories. Still have a lot of ice fishing items and will be going later this month with my son. Enjoy it and have fun. Good luck and good eating.                   Roger

• HANKG and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#10 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 04, 2015 - 11:16 AM

I sometimes go with my step son.  When I'm at camp, I go out in the bay by myself and use a hand auger and sit in the open.  I fish one hole at a time.  I wear wool bibs and a wool jacket and fur hat.  It gets breezy.  I usually spend two hours and change holes now and then.  You need to remember whats under you as bh115577 stated.  

Shacks or portable shelters are a nice way to pass the day.  I don't have either, yet.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#11 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted February 04, 2015 - 11:49 AM

We just received this warning from the sheriffs office. You guys be careful out there.

Advisory: Use extreme caution when driving on the frozen lakes! Two reports this weekend of vehicles breaking through the ice in Hamlin County.

#12 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted February 04, 2015 - 12:57 PM

I dont think I would drive a new $60,000 truck on the ice (not that I have one). I have busted through the ice a few times on an ATV, but I stay on water that is only 2ft or less deep

#13 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 04, 2015 - 02:48 PM

I don't get to do much ice fishing anymore, not much ice down here. :D But my Brother went last week in central Indiana and caught a few. The pond he was on has several Albino Catfish in it and he caught 2 of them and a couple Bass and Crappy.

IMG_3394.jpg 2015011995145617.jpg IMG951973.jpg

• Cvans, HANKG and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted February 04, 2015 - 04:12 PM

I'm still trying to figure out how you get the ice to bite!

• Texas Deere and Horse and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#15 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,461 posts

Posted February 04, 2015 - 04:14 PM

Albino Cat fish?  New one to me. Is it by a Nuke power house, heh!  Earlier poster getting those bigger game fish, neat!  Didn't know such fish were caught that way. Usually just perch for sunfish type that I recall in Wisconsin.  Lots of Ice Fisherman in Wisconsin on lakes in my Southern area as kid. I went a few times to see what it was about as kid. Heck, the REAL fellas have shacks on skids and wheel them out in winter, and don't move again till early spring. Yep, heat and beer coolers!  Not sure about TV's in modern times, but I bet there is such items and lots of I-phones of course to keep busy.