11 replies to this topic

#1 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted February 03, 2015 - 08:33 PM

For the past few months I have been watching these Frazer Rototillers on CL but didn't have the money to go after them. Today I decided to go take a look at them since they were real close to home. The owner said his dad used them to put in a 1/2 acre garden every year for a very long time. His dad is now 94 years old and can't take care of a garden anymore so that is why they were for sale. After a close look at each one, we found that two of the engines are seized which is unfortunate considering they all ran 2  years ago or so I was told. The price was right so my brother and I bought them along with some spare parts. An added bonus is that two of the units have the reverse gear in them which is a somewhat hard to find option. I'm hoping that the two seized engine will be an easy fix and that they will all be running come spring.

I will have better pictures tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC02565.JPG
  • DSC02567.JPG

• earthgrinder, daytime dave, Gtractor and 12 others have said thanks

#2 earthgrinder ONLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 450
  • 834 Thanks
  • 358 posts

Posted February 03, 2015 - 08:49 PM

Very nice find.  A lot of these don't look near that good.  I would think those two stuck ones are not stuck that hard in just short time.  I am in the process of restoring a B1-6 and am installing reverse to make it easier to handle.

• Alc and farmerall have said thanks

#3 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted February 03, 2015 - 08:59 PM

These 3 take the total to 6 Frazers that we own. Two are only parts machines though. Our plan is to get all three running then keep one and sell the other two. These 3 are all B1-7 models.

• earthgrinder, MH81, Alc and 1 other said thanks

#4 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted February 04, 2015 - 06:52 PM

Today I got a chance to work on the tillers some. I found the reason why two of the tillers were seized. It turns out that mice had bult huge nests in each one. After cleaning everything out both of them turn over fine.

• earthgrinder, Alc, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,457 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted February 05, 2015 - 05:44 AM

Glad you found the condos were the culprits.

#6 earthgrinder ONLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • 834 Thanks
  • 358 posts

Posted February 05, 2015 - 10:41 AM

I bought a SIMAR tiller some time ago that was stuck.  The flywheel fits so close to the fan housing that rust filled the very small gap between the flywheel and the housing.  That was a whole lot easier to free up than a stuck piston!  So, farmerall, it is nice to have an easy one once in awhile!  There is lots of room to build condos in those old Frazer tiller engines.

Edited by earthgrinder, February 05, 2015 - 10:43 AM.

• Alc and farmerall have said thanks

#7 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted February 05, 2015 - 12:16 PM

I saw one similar to that in the back of a pickup at our local TSC. There was no name on  the tiller so I was wondering what it was, but this one had cultivator type tines and not tiller tines. Looked just like that orange one.

Edited by TAHOE, February 05, 2015 - 12:18 PM.

• farmerall said thank you

#8 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted February 05, 2015 - 06:41 PM

Here are some better pictures of the tillers. All of them are in nice shape. One has an interesting homemade muffler on it that looks like it was made really well. Another looks like it is all original and also has a cool option that I haven't seen before except in a book. It's the reverse shifter stop which keeps the shifter from moving to far forward or backward and also makes it so you have to be in neutral to shift gears.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC02568.JPG
  • DSC02569.JPG
  • DSC02571.JPG
  • DSC02572.JPG
  • DSC02573.JPG
  • DSC02574.JPG
  • DSC02575.JPG
  • DSC02576.JPG

• LPBolens and Mike Unwin have said thanks

#9 earthgrinder ONLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • 834 Thanks
  • 358 posts

Posted February 05, 2015 - 08:55 PM

I have a NOS reverse shifter stop for the B1-6 that I am currently restoring.  Check out my YouTube Channel to see a muffler I made for my B1-6. http://youtu.be/JkhrZMsBrKQ

I made another one where the exhaust exits near the back and out to the side.  No baffles and they are every bit as "quiet" as the round ones.  The exhaust tip is inserted about 1 1/2" inside the muffler.

farmerall, very nice find.  They all seem to have good sheet metal.  Many times the gas tanks are dented and the tiller hoods are riddled with pock marks from rocks.

Edited by earthgrinder, February 05, 2015 - 08:57 PM.

#10 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 08:47 AM

Today I got a chance to work on the tillers some. I found the reason why two of the tillers were seized. It turns out that mice had bult huge nests in each one. After cleaning everything out both of them turn over fine.

Glad you found the problem with the engines.  There is a real easy and inexpensive way to keep mice out of any place you don't want them.  Clothes dryer sheets.  I put 2 or 3 around the mower engines, tractor engines and any other place I don't want them building.  Something about the smell they don't like and stay clear.  Combine cabs are a real problem area for mice.  They can cause $1k in damaged wiring real easy.  Farmers put dryer sheets around the inside of the cabs when they are parked for the season and usually not brought out again till next July or later.  It works !

#11 morepower302 OFFLINE  

morepower302
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 64862
  • 72 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted February 08, 2015 - 11:01 PM

Nice find farmerall. I've always liked the style of the old Frazer rototillers.

earthgrinder,

I'm glad you mentioned the fact about the SIMAR having close tolerances between the flywheel and fan housing. I have a C31 that was free when I purchased it, I parked it in the shed for a while and when I went to get it back out the engine was sized. I've always thought the piston may have gotten corroded and cause the seizure. I'll have to check on the flywheel though. If the piston is indeed seized do you have any suggestions for getting it freed up? I've heard about pouring diesel fuel into the cylinder and letting it sit for a while but have never actually tried it. Thanks.

#12 earthgrinder ONLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • 834 Thanks
  • 358 posts

Posted February 09, 2015 - 01:24 PM

I cannot believe it is stuck real bad if it has not been that long.  Dump some diesel or your favorite penetrating oil in and let it set a day or two then give it a try.  Mine had either been stored outside without a good cover or in a damp building.  With the oil mixture they use you would need lots of dampness or water would have to get into the cylinder somehow to get stuck in a short time.