• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 868 posts

Posted February 03, 2015 - 08:04 AM

hi all, I have a 2005 cat skid steer 90 hp diesel, it has 2 water seperators. I seen to generate a lot of water which freezes in the filters causing me a lot of grief. In the summer I ran the machine down in fuel, added one of thoses products that claim to make water burn. in November I added winter fuel and a winter conditioner and cut the fuel with 25% kerosene, yesterday during the biggest snowfall we have seen in years I started up the skid only to run at less than 50% power. when I got the brunt of it done I stopped pulled both filters, both had lots of ice in them, and now the fuel line is froze but its dark and i'll have to deal with it tomorrow. I had this issue last winter and wrote it off to bad fuel, and not topping off my tank but that does not seem to be it. someone told me they use to buy some sort of a sock that was on a cord and you lowered it into your tank and it sucked up any water, anyone ever heard of this and if so do you know where I can order some? my other option is to drain the seperators after each use but that is a real pain as its a pig to prime the diesel, another thought is if there is an after market separator with a heater like in trucks, any thoughts, thanks john 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,584 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 03, 2015 - 08:21 AM

The socks do work. Go to a bulk fuel company, they should have them.
  • Alc, Lauber1 and farmer john have said thanks

#3 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 868 posts

Posted February 03, 2015 - 08:41 AM

thanks but theres not that many around here, and I have tried most tractor suppliers, I think they are a thing of the past up here. all they want to sell me is an additive and im not happy with the results I get,  I want it out, part of my problem is that this is my personal machine (my biggest and most powerful toy)and may only get 20 hrs use a year

#4 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted February 03, 2015 - 08:43 AM

I don't quite understand were the water is coming from. I've never had water in my fuel so far. I don't have a bulk tank at home so I buy mine from one of the local gas stations, in  5 gal jerry cans. One thing you can do if this is a continuing problem for you is to switch were you buy your fuel from. The other thing is buy it in 5 gal cans and leave the cans out in the cold so that any water will freeze before you pour the fuel into your machine, providing it gets cold enough were you are. One other thing to consider is go to a parts store and buy yourself one of these Funnels that have a screen in them that doesn't allow water to pass through. I can't think of the name of them now but I'am sure one of the  parts store's will beable to help you out. When at the parts store buy a bottle of 911 and pour it into your tank to help thaw out the fuel lines and filters.

• boyscout862 and farmer john have said thanks

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,584 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 03, 2015 - 08:53 AM

OK, then go HERE... Canadian supplier of the fuel absorption socks.

• limebuzz, KennyP and farmer john have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,751 Thanks
  • 7,523 posts

Posted February 03, 2015 - 09:16 AM

I've used the filtering funnel since I got my first diesel. It helps alot. I also use the the fuel filter drains on the bottoms of the filters. I just drain an ounce into a clean white cup and close it up. This has never caused me to have to bleed the system. I look carefully at the fuel in the cup to see if there is water, dirt or other contaminents. If there is alot, I drain the filter some more until its clean coming out. Fortunately this only happened once, and it turned out that it was most likely the 5 gallon jerry can had been dirty. The fuel left in the system was enough to start and run the tractor until it bled itself. Good Luck, Rick

Does your machine have a filter screen in the fuel tank that may be plugged?

Edited by boyscout862, February 03, 2015 - 09:20 AM.

• farmer john said thank you

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,473 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted February 03, 2015 - 11:05 AM

This sounds strange. I don't recall ever having water problems like that. I think the water filtering funnel would be an excellent purchase in your case. If the moisture continues to show up after that than I don't know what to say. 

#8 AfterShock95 OFFLINE  

AfterShock95
  • Member No: 63122
  • 420 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted February 03, 2015 - 11:14 AM

A change in temp as little as 7 degrees is all you need for Condensation and company's can deliver fuel with up 3% of water in it . Geling of fuel has been a big problem for me this year also I have replaced 3 fuel filters in jan and have started putting fuel treatment in ever time I get fuel
  • Alc and farmer john have said thanks

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted February 03, 2015 - 11:40 AM

I haven't any experience and maybe not even the case here but how does that biodiesel work in cold and it's  long storage use ?  

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 03, 2015 - 12:09 PM

I can only tell you what I do. I keep the fuel tank full. An air head on a steel tank can allow frost to form in the empty part of the tank.
Fuel sloshing around and thawing can wash that moisture down to contaminate your fuel. I keep my tank full.
My little 20 hp Ford burns a lot less fuel than your 90 hp machine, soI never keep more than 5 gal of fuel in a can on hand.
I only trust winter blend so far. When I worked in the truck stop, I learned that the blend is based on the temperature at the depot when the tanker is filled. So if the temp drops the blend may not be adequate? I always add Power Service to my can to improve my chances of not having gelling or water issues. I also buy my fuel at a truck stop that is very busy. I want to know they are moving a high volume of fuel and it is not setting in a half full tank with an airhead that can allow frost and moisture contamination.
I do have one of the strainer funnels, but rarely use it.
Hope this is some help, that Cat is too nice a machine to not be working for you. I am a little green with envy.
  • Alc, boyscout862 and farmer john have said thanks

#11 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 868 posts

Posted February 03, 2015 - 12:39 PM

thank you all especially olcowhand, now that I know what to ask and look for I found a supplier, hopefully he will ship as he is 3 hours away. thanks for the tip about a water separating funnel I did not know they existed but I will have one asap , thanks again john

• olcowhand and massey driver have said thanks

#12 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted February 04, 2015 - 11:31 PM

It also depends where you are buying fuel from. I know a lot of people that have had issues this year. A friend has a 2014 6.7l powerstroke that geled. Also some brands of fuel additives are better on removing water and increases the cloud point (freeze point) of the fuel. I have had alot of people that got bad results from tractor supply additives. Being a diesel tech I see a lot of issues like this, with it being so cold out I would try to keep it inside and run it every couple days to keep fuel circulating and warm. Since these cats run the return fuel back to tank which will warm the fuel up.

#13 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted February 05, 2015 - 06:42 AM

If you have a drain on the fuel tank it might pay to let it sit inside overnight and just crack the drain and see what dribbles out .

• Cvans said thank you

#14 limebuzz OFFLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 861 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted February 06, 2015 - 09:08 PM

Royal Distributing in Canada sells them water eliminates as well. I think they are right around the same price as the website Daniel posted. 

#15 mrmd OFFLINE  

mrmd
  • Member No: 62285
  • 207 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted February 06, 2015 - 11:14 PM

Are you using biodiesel as mentioned above. When I was driving dreaded winter because of the problems with bio and fuel filters. I've had filters clog within 1500 miles of complete service when it got good and cold. Running down the interstate at 65 and suddenly start to slow down. Pull off the road and luckily it would still idle because it didn't much fuel.