• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 txdieseldog OFFLINE  

txdieseldog
  • Member No: 65961
  • 56 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 02:47 PM

Getting into things here after being on for a couple of weeks. Almost everyday I come up with something that you guys could help with due to experience, or possibly it's your job. Today's help would be this: I have a closed side Jac., KennyP and maybe others, (slept since then) have hinted it is the larger 16 HP set-up. I purchased AG tires for it and am having troubles getting the bead to seat on the left one. They were both aired up but it has sat for some time. The tires are still almost new, even now. They are hard and stiff. I squeezed them with a cargo strap the first time, but only worked on the right one this go round. Any crazy tips out there?

FC2C5523-F7DF-4F85-9C83-EAADED34950D_zps

Any help would be great. Thanks

Barry

• A.C.T. said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,395 Thanks
  • 39,658 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 03:13 PM

I use this stuff to help the beads seal up.

• boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#3 txdieseldog OFFLINE  

txdieseldog
  • Member No: 65961
  • 56 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 03:23 PM

Kenny, had a feeling you'd chime in. Is it used to just create a wet area the air won't pass? Bead area slicker to pop on the rim? Soften the rubber to conform better? Or don't have a clue, it just works? lol  :D

#4 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 03:31 PM

The bead sealer helps, grease will work in a pinch too. Soapy water will help the rubber slide on the wheel. I use a male quick connect air fitting over the stem with the core removed to get more air in quicker. The stiff sidewall ags can be tough to mount and may need  the ratchet strap, a few extra hands and a big rubber mallet to get it started.

• boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,395 Thanks
  • 39,658 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 03:35 PM

The bead sealer is kind of a glue 9for want of a better word). But it will help stop bead leaks.

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 03:38 PM

I like what tater1195 said  but add a bit. I put the wheel on my changer with the valve stem up and mount the tire loose onto it. I then dry the lower tire and wheel beads with a clean rag and some time. I then push the lower beads together fully. I then only have to fight with the upper. Removing the valve stem core helps alot and upping the air pressure does too. I use strapps and hands pulling up. Eventually, you will win. Good Luck, Rick 

Edited by boyscout862, February 02, 2015 - 03:38 PM.

#7 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 04:27 PM

Good tried & true methods already mentioned. I would say the most important is removing the valve stem for getting that good BLAST of air. Basically it's just a good wrestling match that you'll win sooner or later. :D

• superaben and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#8 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 04:50 PM

Good tried & true methods already mentioned. I would say the most important is removing the valve stem for getting that good BLAST of air. Basically it's just a good wrestling match that you'll win sooner or later. :D

I agree , valve stem open and lots of air pressure.

#9 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,807 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 04:54 PM

there is another way but I do not recommend trying it !!!!!!!!!!   AGAIN I DO NOT RECOMEND THIS !!!!!!  but I have done this and it does work for stubborn tires.  take a can of starting fluid, place the tire OUTSIDE !!!!!!!!!!!!  on the ground with the stubborn bead side up, spray just a very small amount of the starting fluid into the tire, then stand back and throw matched into the space.  POP !!!! your rim will be up on the bead.  leave the valve stem out and be very careful !!!!!!!  I have seen this way tear tires to pieces and people get hurt doing this.

Please for mine and your sake if you careful and go very sparingly on the starting fluid.

Pete

• Coventry Plumber said thank you

#10 mrmd OFFLINE  

mrmd
  • Member No: 62285
  • 207 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 05:07 PM

I would take the above advice. However I fought some front tires till I was blue. When you get some of these tires they are flat and wrinkled. I finally resorted to this method and had the job done in five minutes. Again, please be very cautious. I sprayed the ether in the tire then onto the ground for a couple feet then light that end of it. Good luck.

#11 Mark K OFFLINE  

Mark K
  • Member No: 32947
  • 118 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 05:09 PM

You could use a tube.

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,252 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 05:11 PM

Tires that fight me like that, I just tube. WAY easier than arguing with it and for the cost of a tube, it's not worth the high blood pressure or the ether.
Eventually, if they are hard, they will start leaking anyways, might as well save one step in the process.
  • superaben said thank you

#13 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 06:43 PM

I wouldn't put a tube in a tire with one bead not seated, sometimes adding a tube still won't seat the bead.

This is not how you do it. Hands too close.

Edited by Sawdust, February 02, 2015 - 06:48 PM.

#14 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 914 Thanks
  • 1,205 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 07:53 PM

No hair on his hands :rolling:

• superaben and Sawdust have said thanks