• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bigronbowski OFFLINE  

bigronbowski
  • Member No: 66708
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 11:08 AM

Last winter I purchased a 1977 John Deere 210 with a 47" deck for mowing in the summer and a 37a snowblower for the winter. Worked great. After the second use this season the left side (facing front of tractor (the pto side)) transaxle mounting bolts sheared off. Before I could figure out what the problem was the gear selector stop was chewed into the gears. While I'm in the process of rebuilding that transaxle, I purchased a '96 GT275 with a 48" blade to take care of snow. Everything was workin great. The last storm I went out in the morning and did my drive, three neighbors drives, and the sidewalk all the way down the block. Absolutely no issues. I went out for round 2 in the afternoon, and after two 2 passes the tractor started idling erratically and dying. I could get it restarted, but if I moved the throttle out choke it would idle erratically and die again. I got it back to the garage, took the air filter off, couple of sprays of starter fluid, and it would idle through all throttle positions. I ran some seafoam through it for good measure before putting the air cleaner back on (after cleaning it). It seemed to do the trick until I released the parking brake. As soon as I let off the brake the tractor wanted to die. Push the brake back in and it spring back to life. After awhile the tractor died. Now I'm back to starting and running on full choke but dying if I move the throttle. The transfluid level is good, and the tractor will move forward and backwards, but only briefly before dying. Symptoms seem like bad gas, but I added higher octane gas and seafoam to tank with no change. Same gas I was using in the morning with no issues, and I don't see anyway for water to enter fuel supply. My next step was going to be drain gas and refill, but I'm not optimistic. Any ideas? Often read discussions on here, but first time posting. Any help is appreciated.

#2 bigronbowski OFFLINE  

bigronbowski
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 11:17 AM

Even if I disengage the transmission via the rod in the back I have the same issue. I was thinking maybe the transmission had issue and was putting strain on the engine. If the brake is on I can't move throttle without the tractor dying.

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,795 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 11:22 AM

Welcome to GTT. It sounds like a fuel problem. You could have ice in a fuel line, fuel filter, or carb bowl. If you can put it in a heated area the problem many clear up. Its happened to me with gas and diesel tractors. Dry gas doesn't work on ice. Good Luck, Rick

An old quilt over the GT and a space heater  under it worked one time but, I kept an eye on it.

Edited by boyscout862, February 02, 2015 - 11:24 AM.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#4 bigronbowski OFFLINE  

bigronbowski
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 12:15 PM

I'll put some heat on her tonight and see what happens. Thanks

#5 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,316 Thanks
  • 4,663 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 12:20 PM

Moisture/ water in the fuel gets my vote as well..  When you use it and get it warm the fuel tank warms as well..  Thennnn as air in tank cools any moisture in it condenses and travels to the bottom of the tank..  Also snow kicked up when cleaning driveways out can find it's way into the tank as well..  Tape a rag to the gas cap to prevent it from entraining snow as it pulls in air as gas is used up..  

I would be careful with the heater as well..  Too many fires started by those things.  Check the area often or be there while you do it..  Better safe than sorry.  

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, February 02, 2015 - 12:21 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#6 bigronbowski OFFLINE  

bigronbowski
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 01:44 PM

Thanks, Tink. Fear not the garage has heat. I just don't use it much unless I'm painting in order to save energy/money. I'll get her warmed up and see what happens. I don't know how familiar you guys are with the GT275 but the gas cap is recessed under the seat so there is the possibility that snow accumulated And got sucked in. I wouldn't think enough to make a difference. I will keep it covered in the future. If warming doesn't help what would be your next guess? Fuel pump?

#7 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 01:50 PM

low power could be an indication of a fouled plug also. It wouldnt hurt to check that while you are in there

• boyscout862 said thank you

#8 DennyIN OFFLINE  

DennyIN
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 290 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 02:50 PM

If replacing the plug, only use an NGK or Denso plug, they seem to work the best and last the longest on the the 275 engine (personal experience). 

#9 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,892 Thanks
  • 2,794 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 07:21 PM

Dirt in carb is very possible

#10 bigronbowski OFFLINE  

bigronbowski
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted February 03, 2015 - 11:18 PM

I heated it up. Didn't help. Took the filter off and sprayed some starting fluid in the carb. Started up and ran. Made through idling at all the throttle positions. Push in the brake... still running. Went up and down the driveway. Tried plowing some snow. Everything was fine for a while then the trouble started again. Running erratically vroom vroom vroom and dead. Almost like it overheated but not sure. I'll tear it down a little and make sure cooling fins are clean I guess. Throw in a new spark plug and see if it helps.

• Alc said thank you

#11 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted February 24, 2015 - 03:43 PM

Do you treat your gas with an ethanol treatment? I had the same issue with my 275 until i treated the gas, you could also find non ethanol gas.