12 replies to this topic

#1 Rockytop OFFLINE  

Rockytop
  • Member No: 66707
  • 31 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 09:38 PM

Hello All,

I just picked this tractor up today and know absolutely nothing about Ariens tractors.

Everything works and the engine seems to be strong and does not smoke.

Would it be worth restoring?

Are parts hard to find?

Can I get a decal kit?

Any feedback on this tractor would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance,

~~ Greg

IMG_20140921_120730_777.jpg

Edited by Rockytop, February 01, 2015 - 09:42 PM.

• rustyoldjunk, Alc, hamman and 3 others have said thanks

#2 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 09:47 PM

That looks like a nice tractor you got. They are very strong machines and I would say it is worth restoring. I've never owned one so I can't help you with parts availability. That rototiller looks huge compared to the tractor lol.

• Rockytop said thank you

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,710 Thanks
  • 8,896 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 09:59 PM

The 931 is the number designation Ariens used for it, you have a GT 20 there if that is a power steering cylinder I see in front of the left footrest. I will do some digging on decals and see what I can find.

Well worth sinking money into, imo. They are brutes. They all came with mid and front pto, rear was an option that your obviously has. 48 or 60" decks.
  • Oldford and Rockytop have said thanks

#4 Rockytop OFFLINE  

Rockytop
  • Member No: 66707
  • 31 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 10:16 PM

Hey farmerall and Cat385B, Thanks for the info.

I appreciate you taking the time to give me some feedback.

I have a '78 Massey-Ferguson 1450 and parts are VERY hard to find and when you do they are very expensive.

I hope Ariens parts are more readily available.

Any idea where I could get paint codes?

Thanks again,

~~ Greg

• tinbender7 said thank you

#5 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,710 Thanks
  • 8,896 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 10:39 PM

Not much luck on decals, Ariens Parts Radar doesn't list them. Vintage Reproductions (clickitandstickit.com) has only limited decals, I don't see a full set listed. Others here will have more info if they're available.

Paint:
Ariens part # 000085
Dupli-Color DE1320 or 1620

#6 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,538 Thanks
  • 3,924 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 05:04 AM

Welcome to GTtalk Greg!

So far Ariens still supports this line of tractors. The decals are tough to find, clickit and stickit has the best selection that I have found so far. What they don't have might have to be custom made.

• sacsr and Rockytop have said thanks

#7 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 10:28 AM

Hmmm...I'm not seeing the power steering cylinder or the cutout in the dash panel for the steering valve assembly.  That looks like a GT17 repowered with a Magnum 20 to me.  Either way, it's a good tractor well worth restoring.  If it is a repower, I would make sure the front PTO and the wiring was done in an acceptable manner.

#8 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 09:41 PM

from what I understand some GT 17s had P/S and most if not all GT 19s did.

and I don't know what "cutout" in the dash..... My GT19 has P/S and there is no "cutout" in the dash for anything

• Billy M and Rockytop have said thanks

#9 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 11:28 PM

from what I understand some GT 17s had P/S and most if not all GT 19s did.

and I don't know what "cutout" in the dash..... My GT19 has P/S and there is no "cutout" in the dash for anything

Interesting...I never knew the GT17s had PS as an option. Every GT19 I've seen has had PS. Granted, I haven't seen too many of them. I've never seen a GT17 with PS. I'll have to keep my eyes open for one now. =)

The cutout is in the front of the dash panel, down below the switches for the lights & rear PTO. There is a square notch cut out to clear the PS valve body. Check it out. The non-PS tractors have a solid panel.
  • dodge trucker and Rockytop have said thanks

#10 Natureboy OFFLINE  

Natureboy
  • Member No: 49649
  • 73 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted February 08, 2015 - 03:02 PM

That's a great tractor you got there. Not sure what model GT it is but definitely worth restoring. I had a tiller for my S16H, but it looked like a toy compared to the one you have pictured, and ran off of belts from a pulley that attached to the rear PTO. Yours looks like it is run off a PTO shaft.

Some parts like the lift cylinder & lift control are no longer available, but can be rebuilt.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#11 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted February 08, 2015 - 08:12 PM

Interesting...I never knew the GT17s had PS as an option. Every GT19 I've seen has had PS. Granted, I haven't seen too many of them. I've never seen a GT17 with PS. I'll have to keep my eyes open for one now. =)

The cutout is in the front of the dash panel, down below the switches for the lights & rear PTO. There is a square notch cut out to clear the PS valve body. Check it out. The non-PS tractors have a solid panel.

Oh yeah I never noticed that before, now that you mention it mine is cut out there. 

#12 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted February 08, 2015 - 08:19 PM

That's a great tractor you got there. Not sure what model GT it is but definitely worth restoring. I had a tiller for my S16H, but it looked like a toy compared to the one you have pictured, and ran off of belts from a pulley that attached to the rear PTO. Yours looks like it is run off a PTO shaft.

Some parts like the lift cylinder & lift control are no longer available, but can be rebuilt.

yah lift cylinder is piece o cake to rebuild, seal kits are cheap too.  just gotta hope your shaft isn't pitted as the one was in the cylinder I bought from Ebay was... my tractor came to me in pieces, as the PO had taken it apart as needed to get to the lift cylinder, which came with the tractor but in a coffee can. The PO of my GT 19 had had a new shaft made for the existing cylinder, all back together now... I'm gonna have to hit up a machine shop and have a new shaft made for this spare cylinder that I now have...

I had bought the one off of Ebay just in case th one that had come with my machine wasn't all there...

I got my tractor sight unseen and "on the relay" from another member here, and originally just went on word of mouth on condition, not really knowing what to expect once I got it/ so I started buying stuff for it "just in case" while I waited for it to get here.

Eventually I would like to find a tiller, a 3 point setup, and a snow blower for mine.

#13 TDNeurau OFFLINE  

TDNeurau
  • Member No: 67798
  • 1 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 01:41 PM

I recently picked up a 1993 GT20.  I had to rebuild parts due to neglect, but most parts have been available.  Some are pricing and some other parts I can not find, but for most items i have been able to locate replacements.  If you buy the tractor, download the service and parts manual from Ariens based on the serial number.

The tiller shown is a great attachment.  If you don't need it, let me know as I am searching for a tiller for my machine.

Good Luck!