#1 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 07:13 PM

in my BILs 7014 Simplicity. He called and wanted to know what to do with the carb since the float had gas in it? He had repaired it when I gave it to him and that was three years ago. It has been running and working fine since then. He said it was running rough and stalling out while plowing his drive the other day. Today it wouldn't run right and gas was flooding the carb. He took it apart and found gas in the float again. He came over and I gave him an extra float I had. He is going to order a new float but needs the tractor to finish his drive. It looks like the repair held but there is a new Very small hole in the float. Not sure what causes this. Any ideas? The hole is on the top curve of the float ant the outside.  Didn't get any pics but will next week. Just wondering why it was leaking.

Roger.

DSCF4177.JPG

• tinbender7 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,787 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 07:33 PM

How do you repair a punctured float? Good Luck, Rick

• hamman and tinbender7 have said thanks

#3 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 09:53 PM

What I do is find the hole and drain the float. Make sure it's clear of any gas. Clean the area around the hole with steel wool put some flux on it and and then use a soldering iron to heat up the float and just lightly " tin" the area around the hole. Clean it lightly again and flux it again. Heat the area up with solder gun and solder the hole up with as little solder as possible to seal the hole. Has worked well in the past. I just can't figure how holes get in the float.                  Roger

#4 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 10:15 PM

did a search and found this

read this 

https://answers.yaho...15153019AADETzY

• hamman said thank you

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 10:37 PM

Floats usually leak around the seams, or they rot through from a little too much ethanol.

Ben W.

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 11:19 PM

I went thru that w/ the cork float on my 62 yr old outboard gas tank. It had some kind of coating on it that broke down, probably from ethanol. I tried letting it dry for several days and recoated it w/ Devcon epoxy. Went thru this twice and both times the epoxy started blistering and leaking. I finally got a gauge float from a pickup gas tank and attached it to the arm. If it isn't big enough I have another float to attach to the arm. I'll find out this spring.
Mike
  • Alc and hamman have said thanks

#7 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 09:14 AM

I could see it if the seams were leaking. These holes are not in the seams. Both are on the rounded edges of the float. Doesn't seem to be rubbing against anything. When BIL gets home I will go over and get a picture of the float and where it's leaking. Might be the way it was manufactured and just after time it wears through.  Thanks.                                                                                                                                                       Roger.                                                    

#8 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 358 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 12:16 PM

With my many years working in the electronic industry it was found many years ago that even rosin flux will eventually eat its way through the metal that it was used on for soldering unless it is completely cleaned. Alcohol & scrubbing was used a lot of times, but other harsh chemicals that are no longer available was also used. This is a good thing that they are no longer available. The purpose of flux is to super clean the metal to be soldered & to do this it needs to remove some of the metal to do this cleaning. So any time something is soldered with flux it needs to be cleaned or with some fluxes & enough heat it will burn away which also keeps it from doing further damage to the metal. With brass  floats & production runs the heat may not have been adjusted to properly clean the flux away so eventually a hole will form. The best way I have found to do a repair on these is get steel wool or even sandpaper a large area on the float even possibly the whole float. Be careful with sandpaper that to much metal is not removed. When soldering this to do the repair use flux (Rosin or plumbing flux are the best) coat the complete area except near the hole to be repaired. Do not allow flux to get in the hole, this will start the process of forming another hole. With a soldering gun having enough wattage to do the job start tinning (cover with solder) the area that was cleaned do not put any solder on the hole at this time. Allow to cool & after cooled use alcohol or acetone to clean around the hole even get some of it inside the float to make sure that is also clean. For cleaning there are other things that can be used basically what is wanted is something that will evaporate away & leave no residue. When clean & dry take a blob of melted solder & place it over the hole allowing it to melt into the solder surrounding the hole. After cooling inspect to verify that not holes are in this solder joint. By tinning the surface of the float will help strengthen other possible weak spots in the float. This may take a little practice to feel confidant when doing but is not that difficult & has worked on the few that I have done so far.

Charlie