9 replies to this topic

#1 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 06:28 PM

Some of you may remember i've been looking for something w/hydro lift for the front blade.  I checked out a couple rough Ariens and a Deere that cost too much.  Then this Case popped up.  I normally don't like long distance deals but this turned out to be a good trip. 

I got it the day before the blizzard last week.   Ad said "runs great," price was ok, hour and a half away.  Pic showed it mounted with weights, chains, and a mower deck, with a caster off to the side.  It was in a garage and the helper changed out the deck for the blower.  It ran rough but everything worked and i drove it on the trailer.  I didn't bother trying to dicker, the guy said he did a favor for a friend and was losing money on the deal so i let it roll.  When i got home it took me an hour on the trailer to get it running so i could drive it off, but that's another story.

After changing all fluids and the old gas, rebuilding the carb, lubing everything up, new battery & blower belt, etc, it started and idled fine but wouldn't rev up.  By now there was a foot of snow piling up outside and still coming down, so i parked it in the corner and spent the next day running my plows.

Well the shop had put on a new coil and points (lost the cover) so i tore into that next.  Cleaned and regapped the points, no change.  Then noticed they put the condensor on the positive side.  Switched it to the negative post and it runs like a top.  Fine-tuned the carb, slapped on a points cover, and put it to work.   That little 10 horse snowcaster really works, with hydro lift it is much easier on my body than manual lifting a 4' blade.  No more hours building snow ramps, it just eats right through the banks, berms, drifts.  Now the Ford is on backup duty, cleaning up behind the Case.

Here is a pic, behind it you can see what came off the roof, the Case tunneled through it no problem, then i got off the tractor, knocked down the overhang, and blew the rest over the fence.

DSCN1436_zpsiabh3fdu.jpg

That's it for now, will post up some more pics later

• Gtractor, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 8 others have said thanks

#2 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 06:37 PM

Nice looking tractor and it looks like it does a great job moving that snow. A hydro lift is always better than a manual one.

• Oldford said thank you

#3 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 07:03 PM

Nice looking tractor. Must be a Case Ingersoll thing the last 2 I bought have had the Condenser on the wrong side of the Coil. 

I'm sure the owners got tired of trying to make them run and gave up working on them.

• Oldford said thank you

#4 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,804 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 09:11 PM

sweet machine and it looks like it handles that snow with no trouble's.

Pete

• Oldford said thank you

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 10:39 PM

Its amazing how much power a little Case can give.  It looks to be pretty decent shape. 

The great thing about those Kohlers is that 90% of the time the fuel system is simple enough that if there is a problem, it is usually an electrical ignition problem.

Ben W.

• Oldford said thank you

#6 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 11:33 PM

Its amazing how much power a little Case can give.  It looks to be pretty decent shape. 

The great thing about those Kohlers is that 90% of the time the fuel system is simple enough that if there is a problem, it is usually an electrical ignition problem.

Ben W.

It looks better in the pics, there's a lot of surface rust but everything turns so far that i've put a wrench to.

That carb was so simple i knew i had it all clean inside.  I did cheat and googled "K241 won't rev up" and saw a lot of signs pointing to ignition.  I couldn't believe that an old garage with old guys could muck up a brand new points ignition, but there it was, brand new condenser hooked up wrong.  Easy fix... after busting my knuckles chasing the fuel system on a 20 degree day....

#7 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 11:37 PM

Here is another pic, you can see it clears out drifts deeper than itself.  Gets pretty good traction with the 50lb. wheel weights.

DSCN1437_zpsjia72djb.jpg

The Ford likes its new brother, appreciates the break in dead of winter.  Also now starts in 15 degree temps, just like the Case.  Before I brought the Case home the old Ford never liked to start below 20 degrees. 

• superaben said thank you

#8 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 11:55 PM

The Ford likes its new brother, appreciates the break in dead of winter.  Also now starts in 15 degree temps, just like the Case.  Before I brought the Case home the old Ford never liked to start below 20 degrees. 

Ah, the power of jealousy!

Ben W.

• Oldford said thank you

#9 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 11:57 PM

Last beauty shot... custom seat bungee.  Rattles, smokes, and runs strong.

DSCN1438_zpsixlfkklr.jpg

#10 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 12:20 AM

Working

DSCN1430_zpsunmsawlr.jpg

Ready for the next storm

DSCN1442_zpsn3dclj2x.jpg