• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jomama OFFLINE  

jomama
  • Member No: 65977
  • 15 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 10:19 AM

Can a model L w/elect start still be manually started?. There is only a grease fitting on the sprocket hub and nothing at attach the strap to. Which brings up another question, can a strap be fabricated or are they strictly store bought?. Former Gravely owners tell me they were flat and  made of Leather? I am only familiar with the old rope type which sure dosent look like it will work here. Any replies appreciated. Russ

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,588 Thanks
  • 3,902 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 10:51 AM

You'll have to remove the geared hub and build, or utilize a factory built manual start pulley.  The factory built ones are designed to use a flat leather strap but a rope works well on them.   Make sure your rope has a large comfortable handle such as a "D" ring like snow mobiles use.  Something small and short will pull through your fingers and you'll think you broke them.  Gravelys pull hard!

Good Luck!  :wave:

• Alc, superaben and jomama have said thanks

#3 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 12:01 PM

Can a model L w/elect start still be manually started?. There is only a grease fitting on the sprocket hub and nothing at attach the strap to. Which brings up another question, can a strap be fabricated or are they strictly store bought?. Former Gravely owners tell me they were flat and  made of Leather? I am only familiar with the old rope type which sure dosent look like it will work here. Any replies appreciated. Russ

That is not a grease fitting in the hub. It is supposed to be just a pin. The starter is a woven strap with an eyelet in the end that slips over the pin and you wrap the flat 3/4" wide strap around the hub. The strap material is similar to that used on a ratchet tiedown.

Garry

Edited by GWest, February 01, 2015 - 12:03 PM.

• jomama said thank you

#4 Genem OFFLINE  

Genem
  • Member No: 52933
  • 65 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 04:45 PM

We just used a leather belt with a wooden dowel riveted on the end for a handle. Gene
  • jomama said thank you

#5 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 04:52 PM

The answer is, Yes, you can start an electric start Gravely using a flat strap and the single pin in the hub of the electric starter gear.  You will need to remove the chain to do so.  I also think the diameter of the electric hub is slightly smaller than the diameter of the manual start pulley, so it is more difficult to pull start.

However, if your electric start is broken to the point where you think this will be a long term change, then I would change over to the manual start pulley which will accept both flat strap and rope varieties. 

PS:  I did fabricate a pull start strap once using some kind of store bought nylon webbing and a brass grommet from a grommet kit I had.  The brass did not hold up well to the kind of abuse caused by starting a Gravely, and it was problematic getting a handle on the other end.  It is easier and cheaper to buy the starter strap and there are sources out there if you look.

Edited by HowardsMF155, February 01, 2015 - 04:55 PM.

• jomama said thank you