#1 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • Member No: 40
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 11:39 PM

I might have a chance to buy a D4-12. I did have a small picture of it but I lost it now, so unfortunately I have none to show. The owner claims that the tractor is in decent shape but the gears in the transmission are bad. He took it on trade for something years back and couldn't give me any other details on it. I did not see any headlights on it, and I wasn't able to see the front end to know if the grille emblem was there.

I know of very few of these tractors in this area and they have always interested me. I thought his asking price was high, but he did seem willing to negotiate. Just wondering if anyone can tell me the basics on this model, if there is a common issue that causes the rear-end to fail, and if used parts can be found anywhere. I saw a rough salvaged Bush Hog with no engine for sale at a show last summer but didn't pay it much mind. Starting to wish I did now. I'd like to have one someday, just not sure this is one to go for.

Along with exhaust shields and headlight parts, I understand grille emblems seem to be the hard to find item. Has anyone thought about finding a way to reproduce them? I don't know much about making molds, but it seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to do something like this for those that are missing them.

• dropped82 said thank you

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,264 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 11:46 PM

The stuff in that rear end is hard to come by. Guys who have them have said repetitively that it's easier to buys a parts unit than try to find those gears.

There was a thread recently where they mentioned people taking Cub rear ends and putting them under the BH frame to replace a junked rear end but that was on a hydro I think.
  • RAJ said thank you

#3 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 07:28 AM

The D4-12 was one of the last models BH was building when it closed shop. Probably less than 300 made. It is basically the same as the D4-10 with some modifications to the frame for the tecumseh motor and maybe a few more small details. The two biggest and costliest issues with this model would be the solid state ignition coil and the rear end. The rear end is most likely a ring gear. It's a big deal since you have to either find another parts tractor or find someone willing to sell you the parts or complete transaxle. This will most likely run you from $100 just for the ring gear to $200 for a complete transaxle.
You need to know - does it have spark? And what shape is the cluster gear and ring gear. If it does not have spark and a bad rear end- the tractor needs to look like a show room piece to be worth much money- If you want to Call me and I will be glad to tell you what I know and maybe a few things to help reduce the cost of the rearend. I hope you can figure it out.
  • RAJ, IamSherwood, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#4 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 09:54 AM

Thanks, I had a feeling on the rear-end parts. I didn't think about the solid-state ignition. I mostly work on Kohler Ks but I have heard about the Tecumseh ignition issues. I did get an HH block that has breaker points with a Wheel Horse I bought last spring. I will try to get more information on the BH.

As far as the grille emblem, I was looking at some pictures and realized that they appear to be cast. I thought they were plastic. Has anyone thought about having some cut with a CNC machine, or the possibility of a 3D printer? Just throwing some ideas out there. I am sure it can be done. These tractors don't look quite right without that emblem.

Most BHs that I've seen have headlights. Were they optional or standard?

#5 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 12:47 PM

They are cast emblems. I have spoken to a few 3D printer guys and have been getting pricing on them. Price ranges from $25-$50 to recreate it. I personally do not feel right re-creating things that are hard to find. It takes the thrill away from the hunt and now everyone will be remaking them, 

Honestly, they come up on Epay every now and then, one was a few weeks ago with the grill. Locally, I find them on many of the GTs just sitting there untouched. Other owners take them off and bring them inside. 

As far as I know, headlights were standard.

Scott is right about the D4-12s. Be sure to grab that serial number!

• RAJ and sacsr have said thanks

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,264 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 01:42 PM

Buying an aftermarket piece to finish a restoration doesn't bother me. If someone ripped the last page out of a good book, I would google to see if I could find it or try to get a copy of it from somewhere...

As for the grill emblem, I have heard guys say that they made some aftermarket part with a subtle change to it. 1/2" smaller, slight difference in the font, etc. maybe that could be an option?
  • Bolens 1000, RAJ and sacsr have said thanks

#7 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 02:15 PM

I spoke to the owner again earlier today. He agreed to get me some more pictures and the serial number, so when I know, you'll know.

As far as recreating a hard to find part, I understand what you mean about the thrill of finding a part. I've been there.

There are a few things on my other tractors that are NLA. It is difficult to settle with a missing part or trying to track down a good used one. One thing I am working to recreate is the original muffler for my White 114 out of a Gravely muffler. I think having the knowledge and resources to recreate an obsolete part is also very satisfying.

I don't have a Bush Hog yet and maybe the emblem will be there when I do get one, but I still think it would be nice to have the option. I don't know much about 3D printing, but I imagine there are 3D scanners and printers that would be able to create these in ABS plastic, maybe even in the desired colors. I'd be happy with a reproduction if it looked the part, especially if they can be had for $25-50.
  • Texas Deere and Horse, sacsr and dropped82 have said thanks

#8 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 02:35 PM

Buying an aftermarket piece to finish a restoration doesn't bother me. If someone ripped the last page out of a good book, I would google to see if I could find it or try to get a copy of it from somewhere...

As for the grill emblem, I have heard guys say that they made some aftermarket part with a subtle change to it. 1/2" smaller, slight difference in the font, etc. maybe that could be an option?

I am looking at having a serial plate made- like you suggested - it is close but not exactly like the originals - that way a restored tractor can look "new" but not to the point someone could call a tractor a serial number it was not. The bigger problem with BH's is that there are not that many buyers- so it's more for the love of the brand than for a profit.
  • RAJ, MH81 and Titus have said thanks

#9 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 10:28 AM

I got some pictures of the tractor yesterday. Turns out to be serial 132. It looks fairly straight. I've never seen one up close but it looks like the headlights, parking brake lever and choke or throttle cable is missing. I also noticed two small holes on the frame below the muffler. What is supposed to be there?

It looks pretty decent to me, but $700 seems a lot to ask, especially if something is wrong with the transmission...

Attached Thumbnails

• uploadfromtaptalk1423322274088.jpg
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423322282395.jpg
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423322293653.jpg
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423322310427.jpg
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423322327925.jpg
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423322336638.jpg

• DH1 and sacsr have said thanks

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 10:49 AM

Seller is high, especially with busted drive train.  I would have a hard time offering more than $400 for it.  Not a bad looking tractor though for it being a hard to find model.

Not sure on those 2 holes, but I notice the clutch bell housing is different from all my D4-10 & T-63 housings as this 12's has a large right side inspection hole with cover, while all any of mine have is a small round hole.  This entire clutch housing looks to be a different shape all together.

• RAJ said thank you

#11 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 11:26 AM

Ally tecumseh powered d series tractors have that side plate. 10 and 12. In another post I had noticed on the 12 I was working on- the ring gear teeth were thicker looking. So these later models must have had some improvements to the transaxle a. Agree with Daniel $400 tops with that rear end. But nice looking original. Headlights were an option as well as the rear pto's.
  • RAJ said thank you

#12 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 01:40 PM

Thanks for the info. Like I said, I'd really like to have a Bush Hog or two someday, I just don't see them around here and I am not very familiar with them either. This is the 2nd one I've had an opportunity to buy in about 5 years... I am willing to travel for or ship the right one. I will have to see if the owner is willing to come down in price. I see it has a taillight. Are headlights hard to find?

#13 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 09:10 PM

Headlights are hard to find. Daniel posted a link in another thread that shows some chrome headlights that look pretty close to the originals. This tractor has the optional rear lift assist but looks to be missing the springs on both sides. If Brian's serial number 101 is the first and to date the largest serial number I have is 283, there may have been less than 200 of these made. That's why I keep asking for serial numbers so we can eventually solve this question.
  • RAJ and nlpoole have said thanks

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 09:23 PM

Headlights are hard to find. Daniel posted a link in another thread that shows some chrome headlights that look pretty close to the originals.  

Headlight info HERE

• RAJ and LPBolens have said thanks

#15 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted February 08, 2015 - 09:33 AM

Those aftermarket headlights look great. That would definitely be close enough to original in my book. I think I read somewhere that the taillight is similar to an aftermarket light used on custom hod rods?

Does anyone have a picture of what the springs are supposed to look like? And a couple pictures of another complete D4-12 or D4-10 tractor with a Tecumseh so I can see something to compare?

Edited by RAJ, February 08, 2015 - 01:46 PM.