Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Greetings from NorCal! (New Bolens Owner Here.)

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#31 HJR OFFLINE  

HJR
  • Member No: 66194
  • 41 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted February 08, 2015 - 09:51 AM

RTV is for those applications where duct tape just doesn't seem right!

:rolling: Yep, and the really tough jobs take both!

• Rock farmer said thank you

#32 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 7,655 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 11:43 AM

He's been known to have multiple hiding spots lined up, if you're in a remote enough area.

In my youth, I spent a bunch of time around Orick, Arcata, and Mt. Shasta. The SE Oregon Desert would be a good hides hole. Cat? never mind him. He' just unhappy because I won't ask him to tag along.
That carb looks like Banana Slug eggs!
  • HJR said thank you

#33 HJR OFFLINE  

HJR
  • 41 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 08:54 AM

Okay, last night I cleaned the carburetor and cut a new gasket for it. Then had an 'uh-oh' moment; one of the screws and washers that hold the butterfly to the throttle shaft is missing. :(  So the question is, did the guy that did the 'repair' to the carb last time lose it and just put it back together like that? Or are the washer and screw floating around in the combustion chamber waiting to ruin my engine?

Guess for peace of mind I'd better pull the head and inspect. And I'm going to have to find a screw for that plate or I'll be idling lean with that extra air passing through the screw hole.

*Sighs* The sins of previous owners, half the battle of buying anything used is undoing previous 'repairs'. :( :(

• Rock farmer and Sawdust have said thanks

#34 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 04:52 PM

Yeah previous owner repairs will often surprise you!

Hope the screw is just missing and its not in the engine....

If you need parts help or a breakdown of the carb let me know.

• HJR said thank you

#35 HJR OFFLINE  

HJR
  • 41 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 10:07 PM

Thank you! The carb's pretty straight forward; I have it all back together sans that screw and washer. (It's going to be fun finding that.) I did just order a head gasket and choke cable from your website, very helpful!

Looked in the valve passages with a flashlight and pulled the head off. No sign of the screw or washer anywhere. There are a few light indentations on the top of the piston; too long and skinny for a screw, I think it was a ground electrode  off a spark plug. No damage to anything though and the cylinder and valves look really good. Not much carbon on the head either.

Since I had to pull so much tin to get the head off there wasn't a whole lot holding the cowling on; especially since the battery holder came in a bucket. Wanting to paint that cowling anyway I just finished pulling it the rest of the way off. Reading the paint code thread now.

#36 HJR OFFLINE  

HJR
  • 41 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 10:19 PM

Okay, it looks like from the paint thread that the Rustoleum Canvas White will be the ticket for me. Not looking to restore the tractor, but I want to keep it close to original as reasonably possible.

My decals aren't too shabby so I'll tape them off to save them.

Interesting though it looks like my grill is supposed to be black or brown, not the red that's on it. I guess it's been painted, but it sure matches the wheels well.

#37 HJR OFFLINE  

HJR
  • 41 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 06:27 PM

My new parts arrived today, thank you Dr. Bolens! Looking forward to getting her back together soon! :thumbs:

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#38 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 06:34 PM

Good to hear your back up and running ! :thumbs:

• HJR said thank you

#39 HJR OFFLINE  

HJR
  • 41 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 09:21 PM

Got some work done on it today. De-carboned the block and piston top and what do you know, it did eat that carburetor screw. You can see the imprints now, before they were full of carbon. Miraculously it stayed center; away from the cylinder walls. And either someone removed it or it managed to pass it, because it's gone!

Then cleaned up the head and installed it with the new gasket, just looked up the torque specs and will finish that tomorrow.

I was able to replace the carb screw with one from a hardware store. #4-40 for future reference. Looked around online for opinions on locktite or not on the butterfly screws. A lot of differing opinions, but I found where Jeggs recommends Locktite 290 (green) for that purpose so I put some on both the new screw and the old. So carb's ready to go back on too.

Then it's a stand-still until I get the cowling painted. No luck with Canvas White @ Home Depot, but I'll try Napa next. If I can't find it I did see a "satin white" that might be close enough.

#40 HJR OFFLINE  

HJR
  • 41 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 10:24 PM

It's alive! Got the engine back together, coaxed my tired starterator into action and she fired up and runs well! Let it run for a bit to warm it up, sounded fine.

Still lots of work ahead though, I still have painting and tractor reassembly to go and I think my charging system is dead. So I'll have to repair or replace my starterator and figure out how to test the regulator. PO probably fried it with his electrical follies.

But good progress! :thumbs:

#41 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 07:33 AM

That's the best part of this hobby.
Raising the dead!

Edited by Rock farmer, February 21, 2015 - 11:51 AM.

• Bolens800uk and HJR have said thanks

#42 HJR OFFLINE  

HJR
  • 41 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 05:18 PM

Anyone know, or know where I look, for the proper cranking amps for this tractor? I'll need to get a battery for it and don't want to get an underpowered one.

Thanks!

#43 HJR OFFLINE  

HJR
  • 41 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted February 24, 2015 - 09:26 PM

Crap. It's a miracle it worked at all. Some of the armature windings came loose from the stack and got ate up. That rusty brush is stuck, no tension on it at all

S6305682.JPG

S6305684.JPG

:anvil_drop:

#44 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted February 24, 2015 - 09:28 PM

Wow thats in tough shape, I would get brushes, bearings and do a complete rebuild on that one.

Generally these take as big of a battery as you can get in there. These used bigger battery's than the standard Lawn tractor ones.

#45 HJR OFFLINE  

HJR
  • 41 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted March 01, 2015 - 07:59 PM

Unfortunately it moved on its own today. Either my brake doesn't work or my clutch doesn't release, or both. Figured I'd drive in a circle in the yard and park it. Almost immediately the drag link popped its socket. And here I am with no brake, no ignition, and no steering. It took a fence and my legs to stop the damn thing.

Anyone need parts?

• Rock farmer said thank you