• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 09:45 PM

The tree is over 20" since I had to to go in from two sides with the 20" bar to drop it. The tree is about 20" at my last cut where the saw is sitting in the pic. That Stihl is about 10 years old, gets alot of use, and owes me nothing. I'll rebuild it whenever it finally needs it, but it just keeps going strong!
  • sacsr and boyscout862 have said thanks

#17 Mark K OFFLINE  

Mark K
  • Member No: 32947
  • 118 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 09:48 PM

Those AC's are tough tractors.

• boyscout862 and classic have said thanks

#18 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 10:11 PM

For some reason I look at cutting firewood as recreation and not a chore. The same goes for rebuilding these old machines and putting them to use. My wood handle, manual log splitter is getting the job done for now, but as the years roll on I'll be looking into one of those gas powered models.
These are tough old machines for sure, but their weak links are all of the keyed shafts and bronze bushings. They don't hold up as well over the years as roller bearings and splined shafts.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#19 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,062 Thanks
  • 2,177 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 10:17 PM

Very cool.....thanks for sharing!

• classic said thank you

#20 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 10:21 PM

Allis looks very good setting there ready to work, glad the light bar works well.  I am making more now.  fkn cold out there so you better get that wood in quick !!  I am going to need more before this winter is over.

Pete

• classic said thank you

#21 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 10:42 PM

You're welcome mrgreen. It was about 16 degrees just before the sun went down Pete, but I didn't know it until I looked at the thermometer. All of the moving around kept me warm I guess. Everything I cut and split today is stacked by the house. The trunk split when that tree hit the ground, but I can't tell how far down the trunk the split goes. Either way, I'll be getting a workout tomorrow. I have to get that hub in the mail for you Pete, PM me your address when you get a chance.

#22 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,113 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 11:01 PM

Great pictures. I love doing that. I was in last weekend , but have not posted the pictures yet. And have been in the last four weekends. Thanks for the pictures. Great outdoor exercise and free heat, that's the way I see it. And with your tire set up, you won't have any trouble in the snow. I could not get in the woods this weekend because of very bad weather. Maybe next weekend. I beat my record for being in the woods last weekend. Two years ago my last day in the woods was January 21, last weekend was January 24 for this year, hoping to get in again in February. Depends on cold and snow. Thanks for your story, Noel.
  • classic said thank you

#23 Little Irish Men ONLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 664 Thanks
  • 386 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 11:12 PM

Its a nice thought but if you have ever cut down,cut up,split hauled,then burned the wood....it ain't free. :smilewink:

As long as i am not giving a dime to the ele. company to heat the house or the shop ........ 1 -22 ton log splitter , 3 chainsaws, 2 -2 ton trucks to haul the wood , yes it is cheaper . I.M.O.

Patrick.

• rustyoldjunk and classic have said thanks

#24 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 12:02 AM

There are obviously costs involved in burning wood, but it's rewarding to heat the house without an oil truck pulling up. Not everyone is cut out to deal with the labor involved with burning wood and it's understandable. I like being in the woods and being involved in the garden tractor hobby helps make it a bit more fun.
Last year the snow was a bit deeper and I had to use my four wheeler to haul the wood out. When the snow is deep again, I'm sure the Allis will stay in the shed and the four wheeler will be needed again. I bought the four wheeler from a neighbor that beat it pretty bad so I made a project out of it. It's a '95 Yamaha Kodiak and I paid 200 bucks for it. The main jet was missing from the carb, so it would flood out as soon as you touched the throttle. I replaced the jet and the engine now runs like new. The tires were shot, so I found a set of 28" tires on rims on craigslist in near new condition for 400.00. The fenders, seat, and racks were trashed, so I adapted a set of old Raptor fenders on it for kicks. I replaced the handelbars, the shocks, the right front cv joint, the front differential yoke, and universals.I haven't had to replace anything else since getting it together and it's super reliable. The thing is a tank and can really pull a good load of firewood in low range.

Attached Thumbnails

• 16187d1362786912-660-raptor-body-big-bear-400-2013-02-27-19.56.50-1.jpg
  • 16266d1363552570-660-raptor-body-big-bear-400-20130317_160258-1.jpg

Edited by classic, February 01, 2015 - 12:04 AM.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#25 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 12:27 AM

It's funny you posted that pic cootertom, looks like one of mine.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20141201_131208.jpg

• cootertom said thank you

#26 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 01:45 AM

As long as i am not giving a dime to the ele. company to heat the house or the shop ........ 1 -22 ton log splitter , 3 chainsaws, 2 -2 ton trucks to haul the wood , yes it is cheaper . I.M.O.

Patrick.

Don't get me wrong,I enjoy cutting and burning wood. Anything worth something in this world isn't free though. You may not pay cash for it but you may have to work for the good stuff. I enjoy working and accomplishing getting a job done,it feels good. I grew up on a 150 acre farm and cut a lot lot of wood. We hauled it in a trailer behind our 2 cylinder Deere's. I also worked full time for a guy for a while who sold fire wood. He had a complete crew. We would go into places after loggers left and finish cleaning up the wood.

• boyscout862 and classic have said thanks

#27 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 02:56 AM

I love the B10s and Big Tens, I have three. They are a bargain compared to most other brands of that era.

I burn wood also. It is trading time to save alot of money. A cord of dry hardwood burned in a decent woodstove is equivalent to burning 200 gallons of heating oil in a furnace. That is over $600 around here. I don't push it anymore so a cord takes two days to cut, transport, split, and stack. That is $300 for a partial day. And, its tax free! Good Luck, Rick

• Alc and classic have said thanks

#28 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,485 Thanks
  • 39,719 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 06:15 AM

Burned wood for many years! It's a different kind of heat. Just can't stay as warm with gas & electric! That tree has a bunch of wood in it.

• boyscout862, HANKG and classic have said thanks

#29 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,900 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 07:18 AM

Yea man, I have an old Fisher momma bear wood burning stove in my rec room, and enjoy being a woodjin( person of the pine barrens in NJ ) once a year with my bil Classic's pictures are a familiar sight my box trailer and my '64 simplicity doing the hauling. We bought a D&R rapid fire splitter to speed things up and to save our ageing backs.IMG_0874.JPG IMG_0875.JPG IMG_0877.JPG
  • MH81, KennyP, sacsr and 2 others have said thanks

#30 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 08:43 AM

For me, I find it's easier on my back to stand the wood up where it lays and bust it with my 12 pound maul then to lift It up on a splitter. It seems to be faster, too, even with my water and rest breaks.
  • classic said thank you