6 replies to this topic

#1 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 08:44 PM

Im trying to decide what rear tires to get for my cub original. Looking at ag tires. Im trying to decide whether to go with stock 6-12 size or go to 23-8.5-12 or 23-10.5-12. My question is does anyone have bigger tires on there original or similar model (70, 100). How are they can can u post pictures
  • Coventry Plumber said thank you

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 08:50 PM

The pullers put big fat aggressive tires on the Originals and the early Cubs.  I personally don't like the look... but then again, you all know me, I'm biased towards what the OEM designed the tractor to be!

Ben W.

• wvbuzzmaster, zippy1, propane1 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 09:01 PM

Im using it for yard work, pulling trees and maybe hooking to a pulling sled.

#4 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 542 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 10:35 PM

Here's a set of 23 10.50's on my Original ...also my avatar photo...

2nd photo is the same rear tires , with different fenders that were on it for a short time

I usually go factory stock when restoring cubs....but there isn't much stock on this cub .

Attached Thumbnails

• Super O.png
  • 20 hp Magnum Original.jpg

• Gtractor, Alc, jpackard56 and 3 others have said thanks

#5 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 11:01 PM

A couple of things to think about...I have 6-12 ags on my '62 Wards Garden Mark Squire. The overall width of the rear is about even with the width of the snow thrower attachment. Wider tires would cut into the snow bank as I make a pass, so the 6-12 tires are staying on it. The same may go for the snow plow attachment, but I haven't tried it yet. If you are just pulling things with the machine, wide ags would be a better choice since you get good traction and they don't sink as deep on soft or wet ground.

#6 VinceB1303 OFFLINE  

VinceB1303
  • Member No: 68850
  • 17 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 11:26 PM

Just got a set of Firestone 6x12 that are replicas of the original tires they put on these in the 60's. Check out miller tire.com.

#7 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 11:44 PM

It's that all important question... And I like ALL tires lol.

Don't put more tire than you can turn (Cub Cadets will turn me all though lol). I have always found that wheel weights above 50 pounds (each side) made high gear unusable on my Springfield design Toro 10 (crossover year). Therefore when I scored some Gravely 45 pound each side weights I bought them and they worked great.

On Cub Cadets there is another problem... Speed, and unless you have creeper gear I would advise away from ATV tires. Makes first gear kinda fast at medium low idle for dragging stuff around, but I do it anyway, even though it is hard to keep tabs on direction and the tires on the 6x12 utility trailer moving it in and out of the yards around obstacles.

Now for the fun one, width. On my Springfields, most stay with their stock 6-12 tires because of one reason, width. With the narrow tires the tractors are about 31 inches wide, which fit great through a 36" man door that only opens to 90 degrees lol. Believe me, I have done this and it is not a simple shot. Another reason for sticking with the narrow tire is if you have more than one tractor you can better manage your shop or garage or shed space, and cram more tractors and stuff into a smaller space.

One more ting to consider is the best of both worlds, duals.