5 replies to this topic

#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,499 Thanks
  • 6,370 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 07:29 PM

I've said I might have to try a Bolens in past.  I prefer looks of newer plastic hooded ones, Late 70's and 80's I'm thinking. Was snooping around epay and came accross  a 1400 Eliminator for $350 at moment. Looks like nice shape too. Not having heard you guy's talk about Eliminator much, guessed maybe is a YT type rig?  Still looks plenty heavy.  THEN, another Elim,  pops up an 1800 hydro, with foot control, which is what I would want. I really think they look nice and could go for one of those models. SO, what is it......YT or GT?  I'm thinking mowing and maybe snow blade use and think they would be fine. The 1800 was more money, at $850 for moment. Are they worth that?

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,461 Thanks
  • 17,091 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 07:34 PM

Your looking at the "Meduim frame" series

All of which were Garden Tractors

XL, QS/QT, Eliminator, DuraTrac

• Alc, glgrumpy and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,280 Thanks
  • 1,703 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 07:40 PM

The QT's,Duratracs and the Eliminators with the hydro are pretty heavy duty,they will do the job,the only problem with them is the attachments are a little harder to find and a little more pricey,I would stay away from the gear drives(IMO)
  • Alc and glgrumpy have said thanks

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,760 Thanks
  • 4,269 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 07:55 PM

Nothing wrong with the gear drives.  If you remember to stop before shifting you would do fine.  For the cowboys that can't stop before shifting they won't last.  The hydro's are nice if you want to spend the bucks - till they quit.  Then you put out more $$$ or have a parts tractor.  But then I grew up on the gear shift vehicles and have no problem with them at all.  My opinion.

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,499 Thanks
  • 6,370 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 08:17 PM

Sounds like gear-shifting on a PK. Many shift fast or with throttle up and just grind till it's in. If you stop and don't let clutch out again, it shifts clean, OR if at idle with clutch out, wait a moment after pressing it in to shift. NO shifting on fly in most cases. Guess I'll have to look for "Medium frame" now at the shows. I see the QT is listed, that shows up quite a bit. Usually most need engines, seems the Tec's didn't hold up. Now for the Spring Portland Swap Meet this May!

#6 Husky OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 915 Thanks
  • 879 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 10:44 AM

I have a few Elminators the 1669 series which is a 16HP Briggs vanguard twin with pressurized oil system and filter. Hydrostatic drive I use mine for mowing and snowblowing. They use the Eaton 11 hydrostatic which are bullet proof. They use the same hydro on the HT23. My HT23 with loader and 450lbs of weight on the rear wheels weighs in at 2000lbs and that hydro will still spin the wheels into the dirt. The eliminator using the Eaton 11 is overbuilt you won't have issues with the hydro.

The eliminators are pretty nice tractors, weigh in at 781bs. The frames are of a very heavy gauge steel and are pretty solid tractors. I stayed away from them thinking they were not very solid but I was wrong. This series has an electric clutch which I am not fond of but it works ok. They can be in the $200 range to replace if they burn out. I find the weak area on these tractors is the steering. Seems that they get some play in them from side to side not sure just what wears out but may dig into one of mine someday and find out if it can be repaired. Overall I like the Eliminator series.

Edited by Husky, February 01, 2015 - 10:47 AM.

• blackjackjakexxix and Rock farmer have said thanks