• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 heliosuk OFFLINE  

heliosuk
  • Member No: 59196
  • 87 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 05:19 PM

Looking to fit a small car alternator to my G14 to replace the current set up. Has anyone done this before. Intend to fit a pulley to the front of the fly wheel to drive it a bit like the dynastart systems but keep the current starter.

It seems a lot easier to maintain. Current set up (parden the pun) seems un reliable with fly wheel stator.

All is new bar the stator, wiring is correct and good but cannot make the lights work.

Just an exploratory question but could do with some advice.

#2 stanz OFFLINE  

stanz
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 64272
  • 73 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 05:52 PM

Did you check for voltage on the leads off the engine with the connector disconnected? I think I read around 14V AC.  If you don't have voltage, then yeah, the stator is bad.  If you have voltage there work your way through the system until you find the bad component. 

I always reduce the problem down to the smallest number of components. 

I've never installed an external alternator but I don't see any issues so long as you can find a clean way of mounting it.  You'll end up with WAY more power than you could possibly need unless you can find a small alternator.  I'm pretty sure the Tecumsehs put out either 10 or 20 amps, depending on the engine.

#3 stanz OFFLINE  

stanz
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 64272
  • 73 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 06:54 PM

I checked my Tecumseh's output, it was 17.1V AC.

Edited by stanz, February 01, 2015 - 06:54 PM.