Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Identification of Mould Board Plough. Is it Bolens?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 07:32 AM

The plough is 42" in length and the seller said it went on a Bolens. Does anyone recognised this make? Is there anything missing? He want a lot of money for this but I am not sure on this particular plough as it look nothing like a Brinly Plow shape even though those the seller said it is a Bolens Plough.

Any information greatly appreciated.

Thanks

image.jpg image.jpg

Edited by Bolens800uk, January 31, 2015 - 07:46 AM.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,316 Thanks
  • 28,634 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 08:26 AM

I believe that started its life as a very early 8" brinly plow. It could have been 10" as there is a support piece behind the moldboard that I've seen on similar 10" units.
The point is what keeps throwing me off... Not right in a couple of ways.

The point on every one I've ever seen was a single piece, and not nearly so pointed. This is probably why it needs the depth wheel; that point would tend to suck it into the ground.

I would be Leary of this rig. That point change could have been done well. But it could have been hacked. What damage/extra holes/etc to the frame? Has additional support been welded in there or the framework altered to support this piece? Without knowing what the point is, it would make it pretty darned hard to replace if it broke. (BTW, the 8" brinly points are NLA. I believe a couple of guys have used 10" ones and cut them down. If its a 10", the point should bolt right on)

One other reason to be cautious on buying this to use is that it may not work well with your tractor.
The first generation plows only had one hole in the front... No adjustment. If you don't have the three hole hitch, you can't set the plow up properly or adjust cut width.

Here is a pic from the site of a similar plow. This one is an 8"
post-2504-0-69993700-1408474407.jpg

As for "is this a Bolens". No clue. I suppose it might have been sold thru a dealer or made for Bolens... But it. Brinly built unit.
  • grand, Alc, WrenchinOnIt and 3 others have said thanks

#3 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 08:37 AM

Alan has a good point about the hitch and he is more knowledgeable than I am. I did take pics of one of our plows. It's the ugliest one but was the easiest to dig out.

plow 001.JPG plow 002.JPG

These pics are my Bolens plow that mounts directly to the tractor without the need for a sleeve hitch.

plow 003.JPG plow 004.JPG

We have never used a depth wheel but know that some folks always have one in use. Also after plowing in corn stubble we have removed the coulter wheels from our Brinly plows because they caused clogging problems.

• MH81, Alc, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#4 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 08:48 AM

Thanks chaps for the above info.

I got a bit more info from the seller. He used it on a A frame on the back of his Gutbrod 10.50 tractor which make sense as the FMC wheel weights I have just bought came off his tractor. The soil around his area is heavy clay which could explain the point angle on the plough?

Any more advice very much welcomed.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,316 Thanks
  • 28,634 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 08:52 AM

Oh, I am spamming a little here... But anyone who reads this thread and has pictures of known or identified plows, please consider adding them to our Plow Identification thread
http://gardentractor...de/#entry361612
  • Bolens800uk said thank you

#6 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 09:08 AM

MH81, I have posted a similar thread to the Plow Ident Thread. Cheers.

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 09:16 AM

The plow is definitely not made By Bolens, In the early days they did make their own but this is an outside manufacture possibly Brinly or another outlet made in the UK.

These need a sleeve hitch to attach them.

• Alc and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 09:47 AM

That plow share is just plain scary.  Extra long point.  Cutting edge is not in line with the rest of the share.  The bottom hole on the point is just that, a hole.  No bolt in it.  As mentioned before the suction would be much more than you would want, even with the gauge wheel add on.  Unless I had another share to go on it that was the right one I would back away fast on this item.  My 2 cents worth.

#9 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 10:15 AM

I'm not sure that I would be scared to plow with it, but its not pretty. Looks likely that it hit a rock in the past which broke the share and maybe the point off. If I was to fix it, I would have done something similar to the point, although not as aggressive. The bigger problem is that the suck accurately comes from the leading edge of the share, and this one is broken and not a continuous surface. I believe it would mostly just plug up where the gap is, and push the plow up out of the ground.

It looks to be a Brinly built plow from the 70's, not sure that it was ever a Bolens sold product, or that there ever was any Bolens made plows. Most companies outsourced there their tillage equipment, to places like Planet jr, Blount, and Brinly. Even though a man bought one at his dealer, doesn't mean the parent company built it. Mostly it would have been built to say the spec Bolens demanded, and then had the correct sticker attached to it.  It would have been the same for places like Cub Cadets or John Deere. All sold plows, but not of there own making.

This plow could be repaired by a good smith, or just as easily call Brinly and get a new share and start from there. I cant see it being worth and big premium, as it is broken, and for the same money or less you could buy a good one. A good plow like this is the states  would go for $100-250 dollars, depending on the greed or the desperation of the buyer/sellers.

#10 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 11:51 AM

Here is my Brinly plow with an adapter from clevis to slot hitch.

20140425_162254_zpsilmdwfm2.jpg

And another Brinly for Wheel Horse.

20141129_100539_zpsw5cr3wkf.jpg

Edited by KC9KAS, January 31, 2015 - 11:53 AM.

• Alc, Lauber1 and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#11 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 235 Thanks
  • 196 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 12:27 PM

One thing I would like to point out is the fact that this looks like a European style plow, I've noticed that plows in Europe tend to have more pointed shares and a longer tail on the moldboard, especially competition plows, maybe somebody modified this plow for use in competitions.

#12 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 04:32 PM

Thanks for everyone's contribution on this thread. I think I need to do some reading up in this topic so I have a better understanding. My guts instincts is I won't be buying this plough due to the above feedbacks.

But is it worth salvaging if I could get it cheap?
  • chieffan said thank you

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,316 Thanks
  • 28,634 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 05:18 PM

If you can get it reasonable and you don't mind paying some shipping, you can get a brand new point for it.

#14 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 05:29 PM

Thanks for everyone's contribution on this thread. I think I need to do some reading up in this topic so I have a better understanding. My guts instincts is I won't be buying this plough due to the above feedbacks.

But is it worth salvaging if I could get it cheap?

Sure it is worth salvaging for parts or ??  But I wouldn't buy it for a usable plow right off and have to be cheap..

#15 case442 OFFLINE  

case442

• Member No: 2504
  • 662 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 05:52 PM

Hey Alan
That plow that you used as an example was mine. I have sold it. That plow came from an Cub cadet original, and was purchased at the same time as the tractor. It was an 8" and the older ones only had the single hole for mounting.

Mike
  • MH81 said thank you