Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 12:36 AM

Very nice tractor. The Ariens are a very nice GT. I've only seen a few in my area but an hour north of me in MA they were popular. I was impressed by attachments that the one I was looking at. The 2 stage snowblower was huge but the hydraulic lift made it easy and comfortable. It had a very nice Curtis Cab which I did purchase.

The sweeper attachment may have limited the time on the GT. Is there an hour meter? Good Luck, Rick

The hour meter is one of the "clock" type that shows a max of 600 hours before it starts over.  This one reads 638, but it could be 1238, or 1838, who knows??

Ariens Tractor Sweepster (4).jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#17 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 12:40 AM

I thought that "all" 19HP versions had power steering? and that it was optional on the other "GT" series (but not the older "S" series which is basically the same tractor)  

and no I am not just saying that because my 19 HP has it either

When I was looking around to see what these machines were, between the time that I decided to get my machine and the time that it got here, that's when I saw what I did to make me think that it was on all the 19's

Mine has a KT19 "series II"   which is supposed to be improved over the Series I   but since I haven't had either series of KT engine apart before, I don't know the difference, just that they are both Kohler opposed-twins.

On the power steering; I have not yet had a chance to actually use my GT19, I did find out one thing that sucks about this PS system; there is no mechanical linkage between the steering column and the front wheels, just  a fluid connection; I would like to find either a Magnum 18 or magnum 20 to replace it "when the time comes"

if you have to move one equipped with P/S other than in whatever direction the wheels were pointed the last time it was shut off the only way to do so is to put either a jack or a dolly under one end.....

There's a nice Briggs 18 hp IC engine in new condition on eBay for less than $500 right now... The same basic model as what I'm putting in mine. (unless the diesel will fit).

And, I know what you mean about the power steering with the orbital valve, although some will actually act as a pump even if the engine is off if you spin the steering wheel the direction you want to go.

I have that type of system on a Toro mower, and I'm tempted to put it on this machine.  I also have a power assist system off a JD 400--this one keeps the mechanical linkage, but has a valve that piggy-backs on the drag link, and a cylinder from the tie rod to the frame.  Doesn't work too bad, I understand.

Smitty

Smitty

#18 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 12:43 AM

Nice GT great pics and jeez those mtns are big

Yeah, I think the lowest elevation in Utah is about 4,200 feet.  We're at about the 6,000 foot level in the pics... weather was fairly warm until it started to rain... we've had an extremely warm winter here, which is troubling. We get most of our water from reservoirs filled by the winter snowpack... we're at about 15% of normal this year... we would gladly take some of the snow the East just got hit with!!

Smitty

• boyscout862 said thank you

#19 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 12:45 AM

I thought the early KT17 was the one with poor oiling... and that the GT18-above came with PS... learn somethin every day

did you get a break on the price when the motor blew?  Lucky it blew before you loaded it and not after, when you got home...

sure is a nice lookin area there

I paid $360 for it as you see it... I figured the sweeper was worth close to that alone. And, since I am planning to repower it anyway, the bad engine isn't a negative, and helped keep the cost down.

Smitty

• boyscout862 and Oldford have said thanks

#20 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 12:47 AM

This will be great for your deisel. That heavy frame will outlast the rest of the tractor. Broom is cool, I think this might be the first time I have seen one on an Ariens.

A power steering setup from another brand, say JD or MF should work without major modification if you can't find an original.

Thanks, Shorty.

Ariens made a GT18D, which used a Ruggerini RD180--same engine as my diesel, only smaller bore.  They did stretch the frame on the GT18D, though to allow the PTO end of the engine to line up with the pulleys on the front/mid PTO shaft...

We'll see what we can do--Pager 450 has offered to help me, which is great, considering the wonderful job he did repowering his JD400 with  MItsubishi L3E.

Smitty

• shorty said thank you

#21 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 12:50 AM

Nice tractors Smitty. The hydraulic steering takes a little to get used to as the steering wheel never returns to exactly the same place after a turn. Would make a nice loader tractor and if my memory is correct there is plenty of room under the hood for the diesel. 

Thanks, Chris. 

There's plenty of head room for the diesel, as the frame is actually notched, and a flared lip is welded to it for the gas engine to sit down into... you can see it in the picture I've attached.  They did the same thing with the GT18D, only the cutout is longer.  I'd rather avoid lengthening the frame, but we'll have to see what I and Pager450 come up with.

Ariens Tractor Sweepster (7).jpg

Steve

Edited by Utah Smitty, February 01, 2015 - 12:59 AM.

#22 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 12:52 AM

wow, great landscape in Utah - the pics membered me my last tour to Norway! Thanks for the pics and the infos, Smitty!

Thanks, Wolfgang... on the other side of those mountains is the little Utah town of Midway, which is settled by a lot of people with Swiss ancestry... I'm sure it reminds them of their homeland as well..

I love mountains!!... except when I have to walk up and down them on foot!!!

Smitty

• jd.rasentrac said thank you

#23 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 12:55 AM

Great looking gt, you'll have to let us know how you like it when you get it going. I know where their is a couple New Hollands that could be bought 

Thanks TG...

If I understand correctly, there were some New Hollands that were the same basic tractor as this one.  I'm always on the lookout for tractors, but here in the heart of the American West they tend to be few and far between, unfortunately.

So, where are these New Hollands located??

Smitty

• T Guiles said thank you

#24 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 11:13 PM

They'er out here in NY, I'll keep an eye on them for you.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#25 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,748 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 11:18 PM

Thanks TG...

If I understand correctly, there were some New Hollands that were the same basic tractor as this one.

Smitty

New Holland originally designed and sold those tractors. Ariens bought the line from Sperry New Holland.
  • Utah Smitty said thank you

#26 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted February 03, 2015 - 03:27 PM

The GT Ariens are tanks!

I'd like to get another.  The one I had was used for many years.  He took good care of it, but mainly it was worn out.  I bought it at an auction.  I knew the guy who owned it as it was the estate sale after he died.  He bought it brand new, and used it to manage his gardens, plow his driveway, and cut his grass. 

KT17 series 2 was a pain in the butt to keep running for some reason.  For some reason the deck would randomly fall off.  And the Hydro was weird.  I redid the seals in the pump, but it would surge and creep.

• Cvans said thank you

#27 schankla OFFLINE  

schankla
  • Member No: 40164
  • 2 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted Today, 02:03 AM

Nice brush.  Is that an ariens product.  I am trying to make a brush set up for my GT18 using an ariens 936 walk behind.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ariens gt19, weight box, sweepster, sweeper, kt19, kohler kt