Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 12:59 AM

Well, I've been looking for a donor rolling chassis to put my diesel in and posted an ad on the local classifieds.  A guy called me last weekend and offered to sell me this:

Ariens Tractor Sweepster (8).jpg

Never had an Ariens before, so I read up on it... aside from the problem-plagued KT series engines, they seem to be pretty good tractors.  They even made a diesel version (GT18D) that uses the little brother to my Ruggerini--same block, crank, heads, etc. just smaller bore.

Anyway, I took a little "hike" into the mountains above Springville, Utah to pick this up.  Here's some pics:

IMG_20150130_134831_717.jpg IMG_20150130_134838_975.jpg

Aside from getting lost 3 times on winding mountain roads, and having to turn my extended cab Chevy and 14 foot trailer around each time, it wasn't too bad... poor ol' Betsy sure struggled on some of the grades, though..

The tractor actually ran when the PO bought it from a college here in Utah.  They fired it up and started loading it up on his trailer... it started clanging and stopped.  They started it again, and they hard a big BAM! and a lot of oil dripping out...

yep--KT series Kohler.  They had to pull it on the trailer... He unloaded it with a tractor and FEL, and we reloaded it the same way.

Here's the culprit... KT Series I engine...

IMG_20150130_172638_655.jpg

Here's a possible replacement to get it running quick:

IMG_20150130_172704_846.jpg

These seem to be great machines--front, mid and rear PTO, hydraulic 3PH and deck/snowplow lift, plus selectable between different lifts...

Manual steering <uggghh!>, but power was an option... maybe I'll get lucky and find one...

Anyway, enjoy the pics...

IMG_20150130_134149_226.jpg IMG_20150130_134215_926.jpg IMG_20150130_134228_628.jpg

Ariens Tractor Sweepster (1).jpg

Ariens Tractor Sweepster (5).jpg Ariens Tractor Sweepster (6).jpg

Ariens Tractor Sweepster (3).jpg Ariens Tractor Sweepster (2).jpg

Smitty

• olcowhand, rustyoldjunk, Alc and 10 others have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 01:09 AM

Cool! Another brush!  That one is a little smaller, but looks like it should work.  Those seem like nice tractors, but the engines were not good. I'm surprised Kohler or the Ariens people didn't change them over to the later 18hp models as warranty.

• Alc, Utah Smitty and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,331 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 01:10 AM

Nice new fever reducing unit. Especially the whisk
  • Utah Smitty and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 02:01 AM

Cool! Another brush!  That one is a little smaller, but looks like it should work.  Those seem like nice tractors, but the engines were not good. I'm surprised Kohler or the Ariens people didn't change them over to the later 18hp models as warranty.

Yeah, I was surprised that it had a Series I KT19, and that it had been used until this last year.

Smitty

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 05:48 AM

Nice donor! Sounds like just what you needed for the repower!

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 07:09 AM

Very nice tractor. The Ariens are a very nice GT. I've only seen a few in my area but an hour north of me in MA they were popular. I was impressed by attachments that the one I was looking at. The 2 stage snowblower was huge but the hydraulic lift made it easy and comfortable. It had a very nice Curtis Cab which I did purchase.

The sweeper attachment may have limited the time on the GT. Is there an hour meter? Good Luck, Rick

• Alc, Utah Smitty and Oldford have said thanks

#7 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,911 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 08:20 AM

Nice GT great pics and jeez those mtns are big

• Utah Smitty and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 08:52 AM

Those are a nice GT. They have the Dana rear axle that the JD 300 series had. One thing I have heard is that the frame can crack where it's welded to the rear axle if they are used for heavy pulling. You might want to give that area a good inspection. I think the service manual is in our manuals section. I have a still running KT17 series 1 in my 317. Still starts and runs well but is a bit noisy. I'd like to replace it before it grenades! 

• Cvans, Utah Smitty and boyscout862 have said thanks

#9 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 10:09 AM

I thought that "all" 19HP versions had power steering? and that it was optional on the other "GT" series (but not the older "S" series which is basically the same tractor)  

and no I am not just saying that because my 19 HP has it either

When I was looking around to see what these machines were, between the time that I decided to get my machine and the time that it got here, that's when I saw what I did to make me think that it was on all the 19's

Mine has a KT19 "series II"   which is supposed to be improved over the Series I   but since I haven't had either series of KT engine apart before, I don't know the difference, just that they are both Kohler opposed-twins.

On the power steering; I have not yet had a chance to actually use my GT19, I did find out one thing that sucks about this PS system; there is no mechanical linkage between the steering column and the front wheels, just  a fluid connection; I would like to find either a Magnum 18 or magnum 20 to replace it "when the time comes"

if you have to move one equipped with P/S other than in whatever direction the wheels were pointed the last time it was shut off the only way to do so is to put either a jack or a dolly under one end.....

• Cvans, Utah Smitty and Oldford have said thanks

#10 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 11:22 AM

I thought the early KT17 was the one with poor oiling... and that the GT18-above came with PS... learn somethin every day

did you get a break on the price when the motor blew?  Lucky it blew before you loaded it and not after, when you got home...

sure is a nice lookin area there

Edited by Oldford, January 31, 2015 - 11:24 AM.

#11 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,572 Thanks
  • 3,956 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 11:34 AM

This will be great for your deisel. That heavy frame will outlast the rest of the tractor. Broom is cool, I think this might be the first time I have seen one on an Ariens.

A power steering setup from another brand, say JD or MF should work without major modification if you can't find an original.

#12 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 12:00 PM

Nice tractors Smitty. The hydraulic steering takes a little to get used to as the steering wheel never returns to exactly the same place after a turn. Would make a nice loader tractor and if my memory is correct there is plenty of room under the hood for the diesel. 

#13 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,448 Thanks
  • 3,996 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 03:03 PM

wow, great landscape in Utah - the pics membered me my last tour to Norway! Thanks for the pics and the infos, Smitty!

#14 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 03:38 PM

Great looking gt, you'll have to let us know how you like it when you get it going. I know where their is a couple New Hollands that could be bought 

#15 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 05:32 PM

rumor has it that the PS is the same as used on the Deere 318s.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ariens gt19, weight box, sweepster, sweeper, kt19, kohler kt