• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 12:07 AM

I know there is alot of bashing of this brand. but over the years back to my teen years when I started messing with this stuff (the 1980s)  I seemed to have better "luck" with Tecumseh's than I did Briggs.

Judging by my experiences with small engines Tecumseh's were great engines--- until they took the ability to adjust the carbs for the conditions that particular engine was working with, anyway.

That said when it comes to small engines I have had very little chance (need?) to work on the OHV ones, anything I have worked on with an OHV engine has been in a car or truck...

I hear horror stories about valve seat issues with the old cast iron Tecumseh OHVs, and bent pushrods, broken parts, not holding adjustment, etc with the newer OHV small engines of all brands. but havent actually gotten into one yet... all of my work horses are still old school valves-in-block...

But in the last 6 months I have gotten 2 OHV Tecumseh's-- one 11 HP "snow" engine from a member here-- was gonna use it on my WB snow blower as a "Tim Taylor power increase" (current engine is "only" 8HP)   but since it has a different crank configuration than what's on that blower, and a 2:1 extended cam that my blower doesn't need;  I will save it for another day....

then today I picked up a 13 HP vertical "Enduro" that is supposed to run, and be very low hour.

OTHER THAN THE CARBS,  how do these "modern" Tecumseh's seem to run, and how do they hold up?  (Modern as can be, anyways/ since I know that Tecumseh no longer exists, at least as I used to know it)  This Enduro may find its way onto the Swisher Trailmower that I got last summer/

should be a good power increase, over the Briggs 10HP L head that was on it originally...

(it has a 14HP Vanguard bolted to it right now that supposedly runs but needs a new sump as some P.O. overtightened the oil drain nipple and cracked the cast in fitting, so it needs "at least" a new sump)   My plan is to swap the Tecumseh Enduro onto it and deal with finding a new sump for the Vanguard when ever I can find one, and then use it on something else....

and while I brought up the subject of Tecumseh carbs; The last few that I have done have had the plastic main nozzles in them that are sealed by a pair of O rings, they lean surge like crazy with no load;  Is there a chart somewhere that gives a comparison of "richer to leaner" main nozzles?  I mean now that they went away from brass, press in main nozzles, that is.

• rustyoldjunk said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,753 Thanks
  • 7,523 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 12:38 AM

Check our Manuals Section for lots of Tecumseh Manuals. The info you need may require a bunch of digging. Good Luck, Rick

• dodge trucker said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 12:44 AM

In my opinion, the new ones are still pretty good. The EPA compliant carbs are the worst part of them IMHO and they hate low oil or high RPM's even more than their older counterparts. (Thinner connecting rods?)

Good oil, change often, keep the RPM's in spec and you should be OK

BTW, I seem to have the same luck with Teccy's. Recently resurrected one for my Uncle as a heart transplant in a MF12g, gotta love them
  • Alc, superaben, dodge trucker and 1 other said thanks

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 08:21 AM

I would back an old cast iron Tecumseh against anything you can throw up against it, except maybe a Wisconsin, as long as the Tecumseh was properly maintenanced.  However, as companies like Briggs dropped their pants and prices to slaughter the competition, Tecumseh did go cheap, and there is not doubt that they made some really terrible engines before they died. 

The Enduro is a decent engine.  I hate the Enduro carburetor, though.  The best thing to do is replace it if it acts up.  There are some Chinese aftermarket carburetors made that are just as good as the carburetors Tecumseh makes now for about 1/2 the price. 

The OHV engines will last for a long time as long as you take care of them.   

There is no chart per se for the plastic jets.  If you are wanting to fiddle with it, you'll have to go by altitude and pick different nozzles designed for different altitudes.

Ben W.

• Bolens 1000, Alc, sacsr and 1 other said thanks

#5 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 09:52 AM

There is no chart per se for the plastic jets.  If you are wanting to fiddle with it, you'll have to go by altitude and pick different nozzles designed for different altitudes.

Ben W.

ok, so how would I know which one to pick to start out with? The 3HP flat head on my son's minibike has a plastic jet, as do the "HMSK 80" on my snowblower, and the HMSK110" engine I mentioned above, and I assume this Enduro does too. I have not tried to fire either of these last 2 yet to see.

As I remember they are color coded,  I have seen a green one, a blue one, a black one and the one in the 11 hp engine which is gray.  but i have never seen anything that would tell me which color jet went into what.

The 8 HP on my snowblower is the worst for its surge.... if I order which ever nozzle the 11 HP calls for my "guess" would be that it should be about right to smooth out my 8HP;   assuming that "all" 11 HP engines took the same one.  Or did they put a different one in engines of the same HP that were sold in different parts of the country?  maybe depending on what piece of equip the engine was being used on?  (if they even knew at the time)

I would assume that a dedicated snow engine (none of which had air filters on them that I have ever seen) would have a slightly leaner one installed than something designed to be used in the other 3 seasons that has an air filter...

On the aftermarket carbs, I see alot more people using them (lots of equip on Craigslist advertised as having new carbs, for one thing)  I have heard that you can't use a real Tecumseh kit on an aftermarket carb in the future, if it ever needs a rebuild.. so where would I get parts for them and is there any "for sure" telltale that a carb on any given engine that I might have to work on, would have an aftermarket carb already? I do bring home alot (too many?) of machines from garage sales and auctions not knowing any history on them....

As I do every year, I went up to Mom's house in the fall and made sure her snow blower would run if needed, this coming winter, she has an MTD about 1992-1995ish with an 8HP Tecumseh on it.I judge that guess, by the fact that Dad bought brand new,  it a few years before he died...

This one has what has to be one of the last Tecumseh engines WITH adjustable carb on it; So far I have not had that carb off of that engine, it hasn't needed anything.  Next time I get by there I want to get that engine's model number and find myself a new carb for that engine and pop it onto my 8HP Deere.

Edited by dodge trucker, January 31, 2015 - 09:54 AM.

• Alc and superaben have said thanks

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 11:13 AM

The nozzles are color coded to go with different carburetors.  The metering part of your Tecumseh carb in most cases is actually the bowl nut.  That bowl nut is set up for different altitudes and engine horsepower requirements.

I would need to know your engine model number and I can tell what you what size "bowl nuts" you will need to either lean out or enrich the mixture.

The snowblower engine your father had was probably an HMSK80.  That carburetor for a snowblower would be setup with a different choke system and hopefully a primer system.  The carburetor you want would have fit an HM80.  The aftermarket one I sell (and stock) is $54.

The original Tecumseh carburetors have numbers stamped on top of the body or in the mounting flange.  Aftermarket carburetors do not.  However, a new Tecumseh carburetor made today will be an aftermarket carburetor in a Tecumseh box with Tecumseh stamping added.

The only new carburetors you can buy today will be Chinese ones, unless you are lucky enough to find a NOS Tecumseh buried somewhere.

Ben W.

• Bolens 1000, MH81, Alc and 1 other said thanks

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 05:30 PM

the bowl nut?  I would have never thought that one...

• superaben said thank you

#8 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 07:06 PM

the bowl nut?  I would have never thought that one...

Briggs does that too. 

The nut has a little passageway in it for the fuel.  The dimension of the passageway determines the amount of fuel the engine gets.

Ben W.

• Alc said thank you

#9 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 07:13 PM

so the color of that main jet really don't mean anything?

#10 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,233 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 08:17 PM

I love Tecumseh engines.  60s, and 70s.  Flat heads are great.  I use them on as many of my old minibikes as I can.  The HS50s, H50s, HM80s, HM100s, and even some of the smaller H35s.

The newer non-adjustable carbs however are garbage!  Even the old adjustable are a pain in the butt, with a lousy needle, and seat design, but I have learned to deal with them.