• bgkid2966 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#32 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 09:39 PM

Got home at 11 am and did a quick plow on drive and went to bed. Headed back to work at 11 pm. Gonna be a long night. 

Geno

#33 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 08:07 AM

Well another storm fizzled here.  I like the snow and have hardly had any this year.  Usually I'm about tired of it by now.  Still waiting for a good snowfall to go out and play.  We were supposed to get a total of around 9" last night but it came as mainly rain so the couple of inches we had is really packed down.  What a bummer.  We're in the middle of a rapid freeze at the moment so everything will be ice soon.  That right there really stinks.  I'll have to get some ashes on the driveway so we can keep our footing.  30 degrees when I got up and should be 16 by lunch.  I have to work so I won't even get the chance to scrape the slush off.  They also took all of the snow out of the forecast for the next 10 days.  That will change though.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#34 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 09:17 AM

Got over a foot of snow,not sure how much because of drifting. It is 0 this morning so I am working on the 4 ft drifts in shifts.

#35 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 05:46 PM

we ended up with about 12" on top of 2 to 3" of ices, not the best for the blower. It got down to -4 so it was pretty solid when the blower hit it this morning.

• KennyP said thank you

#36 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,417 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 06:24 PM

Holy seat time batman!!! Snowed all day ,ended up with about 14" of snow and I still need to go out and blow off the last 4".... Wife is stuck in NY airport too..... Well its off to finish blowing before the tps drop even lower.
  • KennyP said thank you

#37 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,462 Thanks
  • 1,608 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 07:17 PM

Put some hours on the Allis Big Ten today. I had to get out there this morning while the snow was still coming down and it was deep already. I plowed 900 feet of driveway...twice. I hauled out firewood all weekend, so I changed the engine oil after working the machine hard for a few hours today. It's been a fun few days in the seat!

Attached Thumbnails

• 2015-02-02 18.53.26.jpg

• MH81, IamSherwood and JDBrian have said thanks

#38 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 09:58 PM

Well, worked a double shift yesterday. Plant didn't even run Sunday night, with people missing and even extras from other shifts and we didn't run!  Weather wasn't that bad at all, blame the Game I guess?  The Docks still had some trucks and we worked on those all night then, trying to find places for all the parts. Come Monday, dayshift had same problem and again people stayed over and tried to do jobs they didn't know. I was all over place at docks and helping on any job in area for first 4 hrs, then they asked for stay-overs for second half of shift when second's overs went home. SO.....got the big 16hrs in. Have slept about 4 hrs is all and going back in now, Monday night to try it again!  Big Money, but wears you out. SO, came home and Wife wanted truck to go to work, and I didn't do any snow moving at all today, even tho it was bright sunny,  yet cold day. Looks crappy around my place with snow half done, now freezing harder, ha!

• MH81 said thank you

#39 esbbent OFFLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1183
  • 240 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 10:35 PM

WE had 10" overnight Saturday into Sunday. There was a waist deep pile behind the jeep when I woke up Sunday morning that I shoveled out and then I was able to get most of the rest with the MF8 and snowblower. WP_20150201_001.jpg . I didn't get any action pictures with tractor, I couldn't talk the daughter into bringing the camera out.  The weather guesser's are calling for 3 more snow storms this week.

#40 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 03, 2015 - 06:55 AM

We've got a real mess out there this morning. It snowed all afternoon yesterday then turned to ice pellets and freezing rain. Yes! freezing rain with a temp. of -12C 12F. The wind was howling as well. Just as I was falling asleep at 11PM I heard my neighbour start up his snow blower. I thought maybe I should as well but it was -12 out there. During the night I heard ice pellets or freezing rain against the windows then once I heard rain then ice pellets again. This morning i got up at 5:30 and one of the dogs wanted out. It didn't look too bad but when the dog went out it never made a footprint in all that snow. There is about a 2" crust on the top that is just not quite hard enough to support your weight. I shovelled the steps and porch and is that stuff heavy. Looks like 10" or so. I'm not sure the blower will cut through it but I'll try that because there is nothing but ice under it for traction. So the temp went from -12C up to above freezing then back down to -14C in less than 9 hours! That's about the most extreme swing I've seen in such a short time. So I will be heading out once the fire is going good in the fireplace to deal with it. The wind chill is -28C right now -18F. I'd better bundle up and those heated hand grips on the snow blower might come in handy. 

• IamSherwood and KennyP have said thanks

#41 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted February 03, 2015 - 07:02 AM

We've got a real mess out there this morning. It snowed all afternoon yesterday then turned to ice pellets and freezing rain. Yes! freezing rain with a temp. of -12C 12F. The wind was howling as well. Just as I was falling asleep at 11PM I heard my neighbour start up his snow blower. I thought maybe I should as well but it was -12 out there. During the night I heard ice pellets or freezing rain against the windows then once I heard rain then ice pellets again. This morning i got up at 5:30 and one of the dogs wanted out. It didn't look too bad but when the dog went out it never made a footprint in all that snow. There is about a 2" crust on the top that is just not quite hard enough to support your weight. I shovelled the steps and porch and is that stuff heavy. Looks like 10" or so. I'm not sure the blower will cut through it but I'll try that because there is nothing but ice under it for traction. So the temp went from -12C up to above freezing then back down to -14C in less than 9 hours! That's about the most extreme swing I've seen in such a short time. So I will be heading out once the fire is going good in the fireplace to deal with it. The wind chill is -28C right now -18F. I'd better bundle up and those heated hand grips on the snow blower might come in handy. 

That sure does sound like a real mess to deal with, and in real cold conditions, Brian.

Bundle up real good.

#42 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,465 Thanks
  • 39,697 posts

Posted February 03, 2015 - 07:16 AM

Be careful out there Brian! A nasty mess for sure!

#43 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted February 03, 2015 - 07:20 AM

Over the last few days and notes, I have kept ahead of it. Mainly up at Mom's.
The 3" from Friday got dealt with on Friday nite due to the weather guessers saying 8". 3" was more like it, but that got dealt with Sat evening because of the pending 8-12 with freezing rain in Sundays forecast.
The snow didnt start till noon and tapered off at 8. We got rid of what Mother Nature dished out and were in good shape, even if there were a couple more inches in store.
Place looked like Main Street.
Wish the road crew was that prepared.

Because I planned ahead and have the banks back from the drive, they suddenly realized they ran out of room at the intersection and are dumping all the snow in her driveway and where I cleaned out. :wallbanging:
All I want to do is keep my Moms drive open if she has to get out or heaven forbid Fire/EMS has to get in and because I paid attention, now I have to deal with a WALL of 18" ice chunks in her drive. Her drive is 20' from the end of the road, they have to be IMPORTING it to put that much there. She has 4wd and may have been able to get out... Maybe.

She felt so bad about me having to come up last nite in wind hills reading -2F (-18c) and I was having to blow INTO the wind. I told her I would talk her thru how to run the blower and she stopped trying to talk me out of coming up :D
  • IamSherwood, KennyP and JDBrian have said thanks

#44 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,417 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted February 03, 2015 - 01:38 PM

I would be talking to the highway boss if I were you!! That's not right massing up your moms driveway like that. My brother got in some hot water when he plowed a guy in for throwing a snowball at him when he was plowing for the city. The offender also got in hot water for throwing the snowball.
I blow back the banks before my drive so when they do push back, it is only minimal at best.

#45 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 03, 2015 - 03:04 PM

i got the blower out and it didn't have any trouble with that crusty snow I did have to lock the dif. to get enough traction to push through that icey crust. I have an Ariens commercial model walk behind. I think it's a 2004. 11.5hp 28" wide and it is built strong. And before anybody asks, it does have a real dif. in the axle. That thing has eaten every snow storm I've put in front of it. I was impressed with it again today. After I blew out most of the driveway I got the tractor out and scraped it down and widened it out. I then plower down beside the house and got into some heavy snow which pushed the tractor sideways and I ended up taking out a banister post on the railing to the basement steps. Pretty icey underneath. I didn't have any traction issues and actually had some fun pushing a big pile of snow up the trail. It hadn't been cleared all winter and I managed to clear it up over the hill. It was pretty much just bull pushing the snow straight ahead because the trial is only about 5-6ft. wide. At one point it hooked up so good that it started to load down the engine. I had it scraped right down to the gravel base and those big rear tires dug in. I stopped after I got over the top of the hill. Had other stuff to do and no more time to play. That was some good set time today.

• IamSherwood and KennyP have said thanks