HT20D fuel cap - vented or not?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 whitefishblues OFFLINE  

• Member No: 41816
  • 49 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted January 29, 2015 - 11:47 PM

I feel rather dumb asking this but I guess I should just let my ignorance shine.  I have an HT20D that came with a non-stock fuel tank.  It was more like a very heavy bottle mounted where the muffler mount normally is.  I'm replacing it with a plastic large frame fuel tank.  The cap is the kind with the fuel gauge in it, and it's in pretty bad shape.  I'm looking for a replacement cap and I see that there are Vented and Non-vented versions.  Mine looks like it has a little hole drilled in the (formerly) clear lens, but it came from an HT23 so it would have been for a gas engine.  Do I need a vented cap for my diesel, and if so would just drilling a small hole in the lens of a non-vented cap be sufficient?  So far I haven't been able to find a Vented cap with the right dimensions.

Thanks for the help!  I'm learning as I go here.

Attached Thumbnails

• HT20D fuel cap.jpg

• blackjackjakexxix and sacsr have said thanks

#2 nbent OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8320
  • 627 Thanks
  • 519 posts

Posted January 30, 2015 - 02:28 AM

i don't know it your cap is suppose to be vented or not but on my jd 318 i had a cap like yours that had the gauge and was vented like this one  http://www.ebay.com/...M-/200874283847

mine that i had came up missing but i had a parts bolens that used the same size cap. if you need a vented cap measure the fill neck on the tank and i can measure mine to see if the jd one will work

• whitefishblues said thank you

#3 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,391 Thanks
  • 701 posts

Posted January 30, 2015 - 04:08 AM

Couple things: curious where your return lines came into the old set up ( here is a pic of my 20D tank) mine doesn't have the cap/gauge combo no idea what was original , parts manual lists a separate number for the 20D compared to the 20 & 23 ones. My thoughts are non-vented because of the fuel return line setup. Kelch makes both in vented & non-vented in the correct length 13 1/2". I have gotten these for my other large frames from two of our site sponsors: Rick Show , Rick's Bolens parts. & Bob Hill , Bob's lawn & garden tractors (as far as drilling a hole if you need a vent,no, the vented ones are baffled to keep the fuel out of the gauge part of the cap)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20150130_034935.jpg

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, January 30, 2015 - 04:16 AM.

• blackjackjakexxix and whitefishblues have said thanks

#4 whitefishblues OFFLINE  

• Member No: 41816
  • 49 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted January 30, 2015 - 06:14 AM

Here's a picture of how it was set up.  The two return lines joined in a T and then one line fed back to the top of the bottle tank.  The PO used the stock T to make the join.  I took a plastic tank from a parts HT23, ordered the rubber bushing, drilled a hole in the top of the tank, and put the T in there.  

Now that I look at the picture, I see a vent hole in the top of the bottle tank.  That's probably my answer right there.

HT20D engine 1.jpg

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,446 Thanks
  • 17,086 posts

Posted January 30, 2015 - 08:34 AM

Whats the length of that gauge you have?

I  stock the standard ones like in wrenchingonits pic

I also can get and have sold these eliminator gas caps with a gauge but I think the eliminator tanks are deeper.

Attached Thumbnails

• 33.jpg

#6 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,278 Thanks
  • 1,702 posts

Posted January 30, 2015 - 11:22 AM

Hi, the lenghth WenchinOnIt gave you is the correct length,I sent you a pm,Rick