Garden Tractor Forums banner

A good winter glove?

1K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  classic 
#1 ·
I love Carhartt stuff as it's the only thing I've found that really keep me warm when I'm out plowing snow. The one thing I am missing is the gloves. Given how warm the clothing is, the gloves just have to be as good. One thing I do know, they are expensive. Since you get what you pay for, I want to invest in a good pair of Carhartt gloves. My question is, which ones? Anyone who has a pair that keep your hands good and warm, can you tell me which ones you have or which ones you recommend? I only want to buy them once. I've looked at several, all of which claim to keep your hands warm and dry. I just can't decide which ones to buy and they are on sale at the moment.

#2 ·
If you are just using them for plowing and such I prefer a knitted Mitten lined with fleece. Since the injury to my finger it is cold most of the time summer and winter. If using them all the winter for different things I find the fleece lined "hot fingers", they are hard to find but they are out there. Before that I used the fleece lined brown jersey gloves with the brown glove inside.Hope this helps. I will be looking for other input to see if there is something that will work better for me. Roger.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have two gloves I use in the winter, for anything 25* and up I use the classic cotton gloves anything below 25* I use these snow blower gloves I've been experimenting with since I seen them in one of my aftermarket manufactures catalogs :D

that are fleece lined and totally waterproof on the outside.

77074.jpg

41RqMaOAnmL._SY450_.jpg

#11 ·
Absolute best gloves I have found, hands-down, are these:

19382.png

http://www.kinco.com/product/1938/

They're made of pigskin which stays supple even if they get wet. Nice wide 3M reflective band across the back. Very warm, too, with HeatKeep thermal lining.

New gloves are a little stiff but once you wear them for a while and do some work with them they break in nicely and seem to mold to your hands. Very comfortable and a decent amount of dexterity for what they are.

I have seen them locally at Sanel auto parts stores (regional to New England, I think) or Kinco lists some of their biggest distributors on their website:

http://www.kinco.com/how-to-buy/

Once you have a pair you'll wonder how you did without them.

#13 ·
Absolute best gloves I have found, hands-down, are these:

Once you have a pair you'll wonder how you did without them.
You're the 10th person to tell me about those gloves in the past few weeks. We are in the midst of another glorious cold snap down here. My hands can't take the cold. My little finger and ring fingers go numb without any trouble at all.

I have two gloves I use in the winter, for anything 25* and up I use the classic cotton gloves anything below 25* I use these snow blower gloves I've been experimenting with since I seen them in one of my aftermarket manufactures catalogs :D

that are fleece lined and totally waterproof on the outside.
I have seen those, Brian. Are those as good as they say they are?

Ben W.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Since I froze my left thumb I'm a snowmobile mitten person. I can run the tractors just fine with Mittens on and most snowmobile mittens are water and wind proof. Won't work with a chainsaw though.. If my thumb should get cold I can just stick the thumb in with the rest of the fingers and it is soon warm again.

#17 ·
I really like a deerskin glove with thinsulate lining and a knitted cuff that goes under the sleeve of my jacket. Don't recall the brand name, but they are a great chore glove, and believe it or not, I just toss them in the washing machine when I'm doing the chore clothes and they come out perfectly fine. Bought them at Peavy Mart about five years ago and they are still going strong.

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
These suckers look warm, but it might be tough getting a grip on the chainsaw...
Clothing Outerwear Shoulder Eye White

This is a good thread with some great info. We've been working outside for weeks in this weather making repairs during our plant shutdown. Cold fingers have been an issue so I'll pass the info along. Thanks guys!
:rolling: :rolling:

Geez, I hope you don't show up for work, in the whole ensemble.

I like leather snowmobile mittens, with the fleece linings removed, and cheapo

white cotton gloves. That way if you need to do something, like turn a key you just

rip the mitt off, do your stuff, and get all the fingers back together in the mitt when done.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.