Garden Tractor Forums banner

The '59' Suburban That named itself 'Rusty Gold'

13K views 125 replies 19 participants last post by  KennyP 
#1 ·
You can't always get what you want , but if you try sometimes- you get what you need !

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Wood Gas

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
All I know is, I 'HAD' to drive 600 miles this week . Had too.....

Reactions: rustyoldjunk
#4 ·
Think you need to go back and get the rest of it!

#5 ·
I lucked out and found mine close to home, but I've traveled quite a distance to pick up others. It's worth the trip if it's what you want. It's getting harder to find these old DB's in decent shape, too. Post whatever pics you can, since there really aren't too many pics of these machines out there compared to some of the other brands. Good luck with it!

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
I lucked out and found mine close to home, but I've traveled quite a distance to pick up others. It's worth the trip if it's what you want. It's getting harder to find these old DB's in decent shape, too. Post whatever pics you can, since there really aren't too many pics of these machines out there compared to some of the other brands. Good luck with it!
Oh -- You didn't say that... I have a nice camera..

Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle

This is what he looked like when I left him .

I bought a copy of the ~1959~ Sears and Roebuck Farm And Suburban edition for $25 bucks today ....

Oh I got it ...BAD.

Or should I say , I bought an origin edition.

Attachments

#7 ·
So, have you tried to get it running yet or checked for spark? The belt drive system can be a bit of a pain to get adjusted right, so have patients with it. Replacing the belts made it a breeze to dial things in on mine. Also make sure the pulley below the engine pulley is working properly.

#8 ·
I called my uncle today and asked 'WTF' Where do I even start... He said ... Pull and save the Spark plug. Get a new one recommended by the manual , Lay it on the block and check for spark . In the meantime the fuel system needs to be clear .

The bowl under the tank is there . Inside the tank has has minimal corrosion . Clear the lines and check for leaks. Throttle works now ,choke is froze.

Must have a good magnito.

Reactions: classic
#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just work on one thing at a time or you may start feeling overwhelmed. Remove the gas tank and clean it out. Throw some nuts and bolts along with some gas in the tank and shake it for a while. This will clean the corrosion out of it. Clean the sediment bowl assembly real good, and it would be a good idea to rebuild the carburetor. You may be able to get away with just cleaning the carburetor and replacing the gaskets. You should pull the flywheel and clean and adjust the points if you don't have spark. If you don't have spark after that, replace the condenser. If that doesn't work, you may need to replace the coil. If your engine has good compression, it should fire with the fuel system cleaned and good spark. I don't know how mechanically inclined you are, but we can help you get it up and running if you are having problems. Just have patients and ask questions.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just work on one thing at a time or you may start feeling overwhelmed. s. Just have patients and ask questions.
Dr's have patients .. I have patience .

I don't know how mechanically inclined you are,...... I was told this doesn't have condenser , or points.. Timing is in the fly wheel and coil. If that is not working.. look again. Years ahead of its time.

#11 ·
I know nothing, so that is why I offered to help you if you run into problems getting your engine running. Your engine should be a Briggs 143302. I cleaned and gaped the points that weren't on my engine, and the condenser that also wasn't there worked just fine. I installed a new coil on my armature since the plug wire was in rough shape. Do you want a hand getting this thing running or what?

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
I know nothing, so that is why I offered to help you if you run into problems getting your engine running. Your engine should be a Briggs 143302. I cleaned and gaped the points that weren't on my engine, and the condenser that also wasn't there worked just fine. I installed a new coil on my armature since the plug wire was in rough shape. Do you want a hand getting this thing running or what?
Yes - Pat is fallible..

So - I need to remove the fly wheel . and find the points , and condenser?

Brown Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Nut

Where would you start?

This is a 302.

Attachments

#13 ·
Ah ha, now that pic tells a story. The coil may still be good, but it looks like the plug wire is cracked where it enters the coil. A little high temp silicone could fix that if the rest of the wire is ok. Those coils can be hard to find, but there is a vendor here that may still be selling them. You will need to install the new coil on your armature if you buy one.
Yes, you will need to remove the flywheel to access the points and condenser. The points will most likely just need to be cleaned and set the point gap.
Does the engine have compression when you turn the flywheel?

#14 ·
That little guy has a lot of potential. I think you made a good haul!

If you need parts for it, let me know. I am the guy that sells the coils and I should have all the other ignition parts in stock if you need them. However, classic is right: most of the time you can get away with cleaning the points and then watch the flames fly!

Ben W.

#15 ·
By the way, I'm fallible myself so join the club. First of all I would spray a little penetrating oil on the flywheel screen screws and the four screw holding the coil in place. Let it sit overnight then try removing the screws after lightly tapping the screws with a small hammer. The rust also needs to be cleaned off of the outer surface of the flywheel. Use only sandpaper to do this. Don't use a wire brush or steel wool.
You will need to remove the recoil starter clutch to remove the flywheel, and you should get the correct puller to remove the flywheel. Once the flywheel is off, you will find the points and condenser under a tin cover. I can help you out more tomorrow since it's getting late now.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
Does the engine have compression when you turn the flywheel?
Yes . I am hopeful.

#18 ·
By the way, I'm fallible myself so join the club. First of all I would spray a little penetrating oil on the flywheel screen screws and the four screw holding the coil in place. Let it sit overnight then try removing the screws after lightly tapping the screws with a small hammer. The rust also needs to be cleaned off of the outer surface of the flywheel. Use only sandpaper to do this. Don't use a wire brush or steel wool.
You will need to remove the recoil starter clutch to remove the flywheel, and you should get the correct puller to remove the flywheel. Once the flywheel is off, you will find the points and condenser under a tin cover. I can help you out more tomorrow since it's getting late now.
I was looking over the actual parts list for this motor . Hmmmmm now what is that the red arrow is 'point'ing to.

Font Auto part Parallel Pattern Drawing

I won't be able to do much till it warms up , Have to get ahold of a puller .

Thanks to you all, I do have an idea of what I need to do , where to begin, to figure this thing out .

In the mean time , I am making arrangements to get the shroud and pull starter . I do have the rusty bits soaking with penetrating oil.

I will be checking the fuel system seals .

Motor vehicle Gas Wood Automotive exterior Nut

Motor vehicle Gas Machine Engineering Nut

Attachments

#20 ·
Ya , I don't know why Pat would have said this doesn't have them , ??? He is getting up there -75 this year in 2 weeks , and some health issues .

I don't think it should be too difficult to get things going on this . Ordered up all the tires and tubes -

'Rusty' only had one of his lever knobs left - I got a replacement set from sears - Ya - I will be on the lookout for originals , cheap plastic doesn't do much for me.

But it does cover the sharp points for now.

#21 ·
I look at this thing and just want to go out and play with it . Can't wait till things warm up.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

Attachments

#22 ·
I don't think I ever seen those small turf tires like that. Aeen them on Cub 180-184's and some gold course mowers, but never that small.

Looks good sitting there, bet you are eager to get it going.

#23 ·
I have all of the 'correct' tires on the way already ! I hate to see 'him' like this .

On a different note - My Mother had a mild heart attack yesterday and I am her care taker at this point .

So I may be out of touch here for awhile.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.