#1 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,576 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 10:39 AM

I have a vertical shaft Briggs and Stratton 16hp motor that seems to have a positive ground starter. I thought they were all negative ground. In order for it to engage and spin the motor it has to have the positive ground connected to the block and the negative to the post on the starter.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 11:05 AM

Wrong starter? Brushes in wrong? I haven't seen anything with a positive ground since the sixties and it was a British car. Good Luck, Rick

• Traill95 said thank you

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 11:16 AM

I would say the brushes are connected wrong. The small engine starters are polarity sensitive depending on the brushes. The big starters aren't polarity sensitive and will turn the same direction regardless of how the cables are hooked.

• Alc, Traill95 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 Bud W OFFLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 228 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 12:21 PM

The starter case that has the magnets glued in is mounted upside down! I fixed a briggs starter that the magnets came loose and when I put it back together, I got it upside down and the starter turned backwards. I took it back apart and turned it around and it worked.

• Alc, Traill95 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,576 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 05:26 PM

The starter case that has the magnets glued in is mounted upside down! I fixed a briggs starter that the magnets came loose and when I put it back together, I got it upside down and the starter turned backwards. I took it back apart and turned it around and it worked.

I took the starter apart and the magnets were loose from the housing and one of them was broke. Luckily I have two of these motors so I have another starter and it turns the right direction. Thanks.