• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 txdieseldog OFFLINE  

txdieseldog
  • Member No: 65961
  • 56 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 12:08 AM

Howdy, newish around here. been seeing some cool stuff that I would like to try for my Jacobsen Homelite. I need the radius dimensions of any dozer type blade. If someone could be so kind? Need a height measurement, for the curved plate, top edge to bottom edge. Then place a yard stick or equivalent type straight edge on those points and measure to the inside of the curve at its center point. Does this make sense? I am headed to the scrap yard next month and they always have some large radius pipe with pretty thick wall material. I think I can scratch build the whole thing. Even if I can't find the right size pipe, I've rolled sheet before to make my box/scraper blade. Those pics are in the works. I think the dozer option will grade my long drive better though. Any help with these specs would be greatly appreciated. Give me your thoughts as well. Barry
  • Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and T Guiles have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,788 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 01:03 AM

Sorry, I can't help you with the info you requested but I will offer a suggestion. Try to get a plow at the scrap yard. All the yards around here put GT attachments off to the side. You can get an old GT plow for under $50 and modify its mount for your tractor. The weight and geometry will be correct. If you are not in a hurry, watch CL and check out Swap meets next summer. I've picked up plows for $10 so I don't think building them is worth the effort. Good Luck, Rick

All my stuff is now burried under 30" of snow. When it melts, I'll get pics for you if you still need them.

Edited by boyscout862, January 28, 2015 - 01:05 AM.

• hamman and txdieseldog have said thanks

#3 txdieseldog OFFLINE  

txdieseldog
  • 56 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 01:14 AM

Thanks for the tip Rick. It may take some time to find a GT friendly scrap yard, but by golly.....sounds like a good reason to head to town. And wow!!!!!!!! 30 inches of snow!! I probably shouldn't say that we were at 75 deg today then huh? Best I can tell, some of you GT guys here look forward to the white stuff though, that's when the motors purr and blowers and plows do their thing!! Barry
  • hamman, tinbender7 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 PaulL OFFLINE  

PaulL
  • Member No: 49081
  • 111 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 02:18 AM

I have a dozer blade that I was told was cut from a water heater. Probably a 40 gal or larger based on curvature. My Gravely built walk behind dozer blade is 48" long X 20" high X 6" deep X 1/4" thick. That works out to approximately 9" radius. My Gravely rider blade is smaller and is in a barn with a frozen door along with the blade from the water heater so no measurement help there. All of my blades have replaceable wear strips along the bottom edge and can be rotated left/center/right.

You would probably be better off buying a used blade with a mounting frame that would fit your tractor or could be easily modified to fit. Try to find some photos of your model tractor, or close to it, with a dozer blade mounted to see what the setup should look like. Find the mounting points and lift mechanism on your tractor, make some measurements and then ask questions when you find used ones for sale.
  • hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 03:53 AM

I don't know what part of the United States you are from but I have a 42"  MTD plow blade that I have threatened to take to the scrap yard but hate to do so.  You are welcome to it.

• hamman, boyscout862 and txdieseldog have said thanks

#6 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 05:35 AM

that's when the motors purr and blowers and plows do their thing!! Barry

And belts break and engines smoke and blades bend and blowers jam...  just sayin.

Not sure a front blade will actually grade better than a box blade.  I only wish I had a box blade for my driveway.  A front blade would have its strengths but I would think a box blade would give you a better finished product.  Of course, I'm speaking as someone who has never used a box blade.  WHAAAA!

• hamman, tinbender7 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,459 Thanks
  • 39,688 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 06:20 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Homelite Jacobsen is the same as a Ford 'closed' side model unless your is a T10-15 model. A pic of the tractor would clarify all this. If it is like the Ford in my avatar, the mower deck lift is what lifted the blade. There is nothing going out front to lift any kind of blade, so you will have to add that into your plans.

Homelite/Jacobsen did make some 'open' side models, the T-10-15 were those and (to me) are similar to a Simplicity/Allis. A whole different animal.

So a pic of your tractor would help us in giving advice on this endeavor.

• hamman, boyscout862 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 07:26 AM

I second you having a look for used or scrap blades. I'd first keep an eye out for a used blade designed for your tractor. If your Jac is like the Ford closed side then it should be possible to find a used one. I have found that a box blade is a better tool for grading a driveway. A front blade is not a good choice IME. It tends to dig in and stops a GT pretty quick.

• hamman said thank you

#9 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 10:14 AM

I have a couple of older Simplicity dozer blades that I am going to cut one down and make a belly grader out of.  The other one will be a spare in case my Homelite blade breaks or fails in any way. I think GTTinkerer has a solution for you.   Good Luck. Like to see some pics of your tractor.                                      Roger

#10 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 10:19 AM

Welcome txdieseldog to GTtalk. I assume you are up in the Abeline TX area, I'm down by San Antonio. If you can give us a little more info and a photo, I'm sure we can come up with something that will work for you.

• txdieseldog said thank you

#11 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 10:38 AM

What about an old 100# propane tank...  The curves are already there.. Just cut to length and your'e desired height and some re-enforcing and wa-la ...Just be sure it's empty... :firejumper:    take the valve out and let sit awhile before torching.. 

Iv'e been thinking about a box-blade setup like this for my bolens...

#12 txdieseldog OFFLINE  

txdieseldog
  • 56 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 01:35 PM

Welcome txdieseldog to GTtalk. I assume you are up in the Abeline TX area, I'm down by San Antonio. If you can give us a little more info and a photo, I'm sure we can come up with something that will work for you.

Yes, I am in the Abilene area. Work in Abilene, live 9 mi west just off I-20. Little tiny farm community called Merkel. But we have Wal-Mart now!!!!!! it is a new concept called "Neighborhood Market". Has food for mommas satisfaction and decent fuel prices for me, including diesel.

For all others, yes it is the closed side Jac. Same as Fords. I love its possibilities but I need to get it repowered first. If the dang Daylight savings would hurry up, I might be able to take those pics. I have a JD 3032E sub-compact, so until I have more time to get yard work and spare time work, I forget to take pics before sun leaves.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#13 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 10:38 PM

I have a factory blade from a 70s Ford LGT, should be the same as the factory unit for your Jake if its a closed side model.

I measured it up and made a quick diagram

Attached Thumbnails

• Snowblade_Dims.png

• KennyP and txdieseldog have said thanks

#14 txdieseldog OFFLINE  

txdieseldog
  • 56 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted January 29, 2015 - 12:43 AM

I have a factory blade from a 70s Ford LGT, should be the same as the factory unit for your Jake if its a closed side model.

I measured it up and made a quick diagram

Chopperhed, you rock!!!!! That's exactly what I need! I have the rest from the manuals section downloaded from KennyP's entry. Between the both of you, time to hit it and GIT ER DONE!!

Barry
  • KennyP said thank you

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,459 Thanks
  • 39,688 posts

Posted January 29, 2015 - 05:08 AM

So it looks like this?

post-6000-0-21063200-1405794326.jpg

I did a thread on a Ford blade some time back. Might be some info in there for you to gleam.

• TomLGT195 said thank you