345 replies to this topic

#61 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 07:22 AM

Nothing wrong with staying warm while working on a project. I built a 351C in the kitchen several years ago.

• Lauber1 and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#62 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 10:27 AM

cant get over how much that looks like a Simplicity, I'd even say the clutch handle fell right off one onto yours. Interesting plow and I see it uses a knife type opener for the bottom, instead of a common disc blade we have here. Don't remember the exact name for that part, but there are three different ways for doing it.  My Mighty Man uses one that's bolted to the land side and come up from the bottom, yours uses the jointer? coming down from the top, and then there's the disc coulter that can either be on a swivel or fixed. Most European plows use a knife type jointer.

• Gtractor and Alc have said thanks

#63 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,607 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 10:46 AM

Looks like the knife would have quite a bit more drag than a coulter wheel.

Edited by Gtractor, February 15, 2015 - 10:46 AM.

• Alc and Lauber1 have said thanks

#64 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 11:50 AM

Looks like the knife would have quite a bit more drag than a coulter wheel.

well you have to think about the knife only cutting in the first couple of inches maximum and its sharpen on the front side. You see these all the time on foreign plows. Must have been cheaper to go that way instead of a rolling coulter. The ones I never could figure out are those who run with out any thing there. Looks like the point would be doing a lot more work trying to cut both surfaces. Maybe the ground there is different. I never thought the Mighty Man one would work coming up off the bottom, but it cuts clean and doesn't plug up, and I don't see any loss of power.

• Gtractor and Alc have said thanks

#65 brownboystoys OFFLINE  

brownboystoys

• Member No: 6127
  • 107 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 01:10 PM

20150131_152657.jpg 20150131_152831.jpg 20150131_152919.jpg 20150131_152657.jpg

Hello Again. The Brown Boys are at it again. Just Got this one 4 weeks ago. Bolens Versa matic 15FD03 with a k90 . Got the tractor a Dozer blade, Moldboard plow. and nice cultivators. Got it from the son of the original owner. Already torn down cleaned and started paint. can't wait to get it back together and running again. I am wondering how many different models of versa matics were made? Getting more and more of these walkbehinds.
  • Gtractor, LPBolens, Alc and 6 others have said thanks

#66 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 01:57 PM

I continue to wonder why manufacturers didn't rotate the recoil starters on their machines so that one could stand ahead of the tractor instead of the awkward pull from the rear quarter.
  • Lauber1 said thank you

#67 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 02:18 PM

I continue to wonder why manufacturers didn't rotate the recoil starters on their machines so that one could stand ahead of the tractor instead of the awkward pull from the rear quarter.

it was done so the tractor didn't run you over when it started. This was one of the early OSHA attempts to go back and fix all the things they hadn't got around to messing with. About the same time the old starter cup/rope system was put out to pasture.

• Bolens 1000 and Mike Unwin have said thanks

#68 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 08:07 PM

it was done so the tractor didn't run you over when it started. This was one of the early OSHA attempts to go back and fix all the things they hadn't got around to messing with. About the same time the old starter cup/rope system was put out to pasture.

I can believe that OSHA was behind it, but what sort of dipweed would have it in gear anyway while they tried to start it.
  • Lauber1 said thank you

#69 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 08:41 PM

I can believe that OSHA was behind it, but what sort of dipweed would have it in gear anyway while they tried to start it.

well on the DB tractor for one, the clutch sometimes stuck, thru no fault of the owner. I'm sure there were other mishaps, and we all know that the gov wants to make sure we cant hurt ourselves, by taking away our right to do so.

• Bob IN said thank you

#70 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,607 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 09:14 PM

Oh if it can be done wrong,  I'll do it!  :wallbanging:

#71 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 07:09 AM

well on the DB tractor for one, the clutch sometimes stuck, thru no fault of the owner. I'm sure there were other mishaps, and we all know that the gov wants to make sure we cant hurt ourselves, by taking away our right to do so.

At least im not the only one who has had that happen. I had a david Bradley that was really bad about trying to run over me when I started it.  I could see were that would be fairly dangerous especially with young kids.

• Alc and Lauber1 have said thanks

#72 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 09:16 AM

So now they give you a super long rope that goes all the way up to the handle bars.
  • Lauber1 said thank you

#73 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,146 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 05:17 PM

Kris, that sure is a good looking Blackhawk you coned me out of . HA! I picked up the Blackhawk that Kris got and this Gardener along with a David Bradley on January 2 of this year.  Went after the Gardener and ended up with the other two also.  Never got into Bolens until I bought a 1053 at an auction that was going way to cheep.  The a second one, a parts unit became a running tractor.  Then I seen this Gardener on CL.  Decided I had to have it.  Had been stored inside for the last many years. Motor was free and the price was right.  Even got two new tires with it.  After it was home and inside a building I took the wheels off (2 piece cast) and in the basement to warm up and soak.. The wheels went to the shop and got a good cleaning, primed and painted before new tires were mounted.  Cleaned the gas tank and Line, carb kit and tune up and it fired and ran on the second pull.  Runs real nice and works good, except for the left clutch don't always want to release.  The cultivator that I got with it is in the last stage of being painted.  I need the draw bar assembly for it but have one located under a snow bank in MN.  Waiting for garden time.

Gardener-1.JPG    Gardener-2.JPG    Gardener-3.JPG

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, LPBolens and 7 others have said thanks

#74 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 05:45 PM

Kris, that sure is a good looking Blackhawk you coned me out of . HA! I picked up the Blackhawk that Kris got and this Gardener along with a David Bradley on January 2 of this year.  Went after the Gardener and ended up with the other two also.  Never got into Bolens until I bought a 1053 at an auction that was going way to cheep.  The a second one, a parts unit became a running tractor.  Then I seen this Gardener on CL.  Decided I had to have it.  Had been stored inside for the last many years. Motor was free and the price was right.  Even got two new tires with it.  After it was home and inside a building I took the wheels off (2 piece cast) and in the basement to warm up and soak.. The wheels went to the shop and got a good cleaning, primed and painted before new tires were mounted.  Cleaned the gas tank and Line, carb kit and tune up and it fired and ran on the second pull.  Runs real nice and works good, except for the left clutch don't always want to release.  The cultivator that I got with it is in the last stage of being painted.  I need the draw bar assembly for it but have one located under a snow bank in MN.  Waiting for garden time.

attachicon.gifGardener-1.JPG   attachicon.gifGardener-2.JPG   attachicon.gifGardener-3.JPG

Sure is a nice looking gardener you got there. What brand of tires are those? And what size?

• chieffan said thank you

#75 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,146 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 07:45 PM

The size is 5.00 X 12 and I believe the brand is Carlisle but not positive on the brand.  I do have an original air cleaner on it now.  It has a Briggs BR6 engine.

• Nato77 said thank you