• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 05:52 PM

Well this this is all I got painted , you want the good stuff you got to get Mark to post ! I hear you about the walk  behinds to me they are vintage while the some of the other tractors are merely old .No offense but the walkers came first and being more primitive showed the transition from hand to mechanization no electric start,lights or electronics of any kind. Some of it is the young people want something to drive and I understand that,we all learned on the farm first with a tractor. Cheers Mike hope for spring.

you can bring that one in them, middle down here , i'll test it out and send it back up there next fall.

• Mike Unwin said thank you

#47 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 05:53 PM

Glad I found this thread. Unfortunately I only have one walk behind right now so I will save it for a day when there are no other posts but these are great. I definitely hope to find some more walk behinds to add to my collection as they are a ton of fun.

ok we could pencil you in for say  this Sunday, I m sure no one will object.

#48 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 06:08 PM

My experience is that walk behinds are mostly unappreciated.  When I display walk behinds the response I get from other garden tractor collectors at shows often times is less than favorable.  Most won't give a walk behind a second glance, just jeers and sneers.

I've overheard guys across the isle from my display poking fun at my "half of a tractor".   Then there's the ever popular  "If walking tractors are so great, Deere would have made some".  

I will say that a decent percentage of spectators, especially the older ones really light up when they see a walker and tend to stop and reminisce.  I hear all kinds of stories about the machines they used in their gardens back in the day and how wonderful it was to have something besides a hoe. 

Its unfortunate people think like that. I haven't had a chance to show a bunch but this year im gona show almost all walk behinds. The boss lady wants to show here reel mowers too. The thing people dont realize is they served a purpose just like the riding tractors did.  But in another respect they can keep thinking like that. It makes them cheaper and easier to find for the rest of us.

• Gtractor, Lauber1, Talntedmrgreen and 1 other said thanks

#49 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 08:23 PM

Its unfortunate people think like that. I haven't had a chance to show a bunch but this year im gona show almost all walk behinds. The boss lady wants to show here reel mowers too. The thing people dont realize is they served a purpose just like the riding tractors did.  But in another respect they can keep thinking like that. It makes them cheaper and easier to find for the rest of us.

well I think one of the things forgotten here is there companies like JD, Cub Cadet, Mtd and some others, where the late players in the market. Some like DB or Simplicity had birthed waking machines more than 30 yrs before a sit down machine came along. This really isn't any different than the steam engine coming before gas traction, or actually the horse being the main power before either or any of the above. Its a natural progression of time, where you had to crawl before you walked.

I think the reel mowers and some of the early power mower units are the next great thing to come in this country. We are about 10 yrs behind our friends in England, where they feature all sort of hand powered and more simple engined  machines.  

• Gtractor, Alc, Nato77 and 1 other said thanks

#50 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,287 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 08:29 PM

I think you will find a lot of it is what the people remember. You'll be amazed how much attention the reel mowers will get. After a bunch of years listening to the public, I'm thoroughly convinced the only walk behind ever built was a David Bradley. It wouldn't matter if you had a hundred different shapes and sizes the comment would be something like a big sweep of the arm and the statement, "I've had a bunch of these D-Bs mysef."  :wallbanging:  I think its interesting to sit and watch how people react to different pieces in a display.

• Gtractor, Alc, Lauber1 and 2 others have said thanks

#51 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted February 12, 2015 - 03:28 AM

This is my favorite Bolens 12A (for the time being). It gets used at least twice a month for grinding up chicken feed year round and whatever I can figure out to use it in warmer months. Still haven't finished the restoration on it but one of these days.

IMG_20140812_184255_096.jpg IMG_20140309_123254_844.jpg
  • DougT, Gtractor, Alc and 4 others have said thanks

#52 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted February 12, 2015 - 06:27 AM

Here's my David Bradley 600  1958 ,   this is my second walk behind and one with most of the neat features compared to my other DBs

Attached Thumbnails

• post-1094-0-79896900-1339347556.jpg

• DougT, Gtractor, shallowwatersailor and 5 others have said thanks

#53 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted February 12, 2015 - 11:27 AM

Gosh I'm gettin a little behind on thanking those that post pics.   You guys posted the pics faster than I could keep up with and thats GREAT!!!  

Thanks Mike, Nate, and Al for sharing the pictures! 

Mike,  that Empire looks tough!     :love:  The wheels remind me of the slotted aftermarket mag wheels on cars from the 1970's

Nate,  You have that 12A looks great!    :smiley-score010:   I'm wondering why its not in the "tractor of the Month" contest?  :poke:

Al,  Good looking Bradley.   :worshippy1:    With 6 horsepower, variable speed, and reverse those were very user friendly tractors.   

• Alc and Nato77 have said thanks

#54 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • Member No: 10269
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted February 12, 2015 - 01:07 PM

Here's my David Bradley 600  1958 ,   this is my second walk behind and one with most of the neat features compared to my other DBs

Yep, that's the Mack-Daddy model there. The old clicker clicker hub models are no comparison to the ones with the differential axle.

• Gtractor and Alc have said thanks

#55 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • Member No: 10269
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted February 12, 2015 - 01:09 PM

This is my favorite Bolens 12A (for the time being). It gets used at least twice a month for grinding up chicken feed year round and whatever I can figure out to use it in warmer months. Still haven't finished the restoration on it but one of these days.

attachicon.gifIMG_20140812_184255_096.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20140309_123254_844.jpg

Wow, that looks great! I really like that collection of wheels in the background too!

• Nato77 said thank you

#56 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 10:57 PM

The day is about to get away!

This is a Gravely.  It is in very poor shape. 

The story I got with the tractor is:

This tractor came from a long defunct Stride-Rite shoe factory over in the next county. The tractors tires are solid and are genuine Gravely, designed for rough service. The tires on the cart are the same as the tractor except worn totally slick.  The cart is very overbuilt and has a hitch to tow another cart or trailer.  There is a latch on the rear of the cart that has a foot operated release to unhook whatever it towed without leaving the seat.  There is also a foot throttle on the cart.

Being built so heavy I wonder if it really was in a shoe factory or if it was in a [also now defunct] nearby brick plant.  It is heavy enough built to pull kiln cars loaded with brick.  Whatever the case the machine was well used before it was retired and has been sitting exposed to the elements for several decades.  Engine and tranny are both locked up tight.   After showing one of my Gravely's at a local tractor show a fellow collector told me he had this and I should have it since I was into Gravelys.  He had bought it out of a salvge yard saving it from going to the grinder when the yard closed a few years later and everything was crushed.  As best he could remember he gave $20 for it so thats what he priced it to me for.

The piece on the front is a solid steel weight.

004.JPG

• LPBolens, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 5 others have said thanks

#57 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 11:50 PM

looks to be built like a tank. Certainly appears  like it was in the yard mule service at some point in its life.

• Gtractor said thank you

#58 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted February 14, 2015 - 06:58 AM

Guess it is my turn.  Here is my small, Waterloo "Boy" and reel mower.  It is a knock off of the Super Tuffy.  I picked it to be today's walk behind for several reasons, which I will hopefully be able to share early next week, if all goes well.

1.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg DSCF7316.JPG

• Gtractor, LPBolens, Alc and 8 others have said thanks

#59 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted February 14, 2015 - 11:00 AM

well its about time we heard from our friends up north, especially the ones that are hoarding Waterloo tractors,lol

• Gtractor and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#60 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 05:21 AM

Today's tractor is a Waterloo 15.  More specifically, it is the Waterloo 15 that I assembled in my dining room last year at this time while my wife was away. It also fits with the current projects that I hope to finish early next week.  Keep in mind that "finished" is kind of a moving target at this point.

IMG_1459.JPG IMG_1460.JPG IMG_1506 - Copy.JPG IMG_1507 - Copy.JPG IMG_1509.JPG IMG_1516.JPG IMG_1517.JPG IMG_1523 (2).jpg

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, February 15, 2015 - 10:21 AM.

• DougT, Gtractor, LPBolens and 7 others have said thanks