345 replies to this topic

#31 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted February 08, 2015 - 06:24 PM

Doug what kind of engine is that? Is that there own make?

• CharlesDes and marcusqp18 have said thanks

#32 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted February 08, 2015 - 06:34 PM

Doug what kind of engine is that? Is that there own make?

I'm not sure. They don't brag about it being their own design. It just says a high grade 2 cylinder of 9 HP It should have some pulling power.

#33 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted February 08, 2015 - 06:52 PM

I'm not sure. They don't brag about it being their own design. It just says a high grade 2 cylinder of 9 HP It should have some pulling power.

Wow 9 hp on a walk behind is unheard of. Even a standard twin was only rated at 5hp correct?

#34 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted February 08, 2015 - 07:35 PM

Even a standard twin was only rated at 5hp correct?

Right. The 2 cyl Novo on the big Utilitor walk behind was only 8hp. The engine on the Parker reminds me of motorcycle or early auto. Seems like I saw a 3 wheeled cycle car once with an engine similar to the Parker.

#35 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted February 08, 2015 - 07:38 PM

Right. The 2 cyl Novo on the big Utilitor walk behind was only 8hp. The engine on the Parker reminds me of motorcycle or early auto. Seems like I saw a 3 wheeled cycle car once with an engine similar to the Parker.

Have you ever seen a parker in person or even a existing unit in a picture?

#36 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted February 08, 2015 - 08:02 PM

Have you ever seen a parker in person or even a existing unit in a picture?

Nope, that's another one of the elusive ones.

#37 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,631 Thanks
  • 3,922 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 12:03 PM

I forgot to check in yesterday.   :wallbanging:

Today I add my 1946 Blackhawk.  Bought this one at auction in the fall of '03, right on the MO/IA border.

It came with a plow [shown mounted] and a second plow that is different.  Not sure what brand the second plow is.   Also included was the cultivator shown in the foreground  and the drag harrow shown behind the tractor.  I had the Briggs engine running sometime about 2006 and I always keep this one in a shed.  In March of 2013 I found some wheel weights at auction which I later found fit the Blackhawk.  Here is the thread on those weights:

http://gardentractor...hts#entry335529

My interest in the Blackhawk was recently rekindled when I acquired a second Blackhawk from new member Chieffan, a 1945 model. 

I tried to mount the drag harrow to the other Blackhawk and intially decided I was missing some brackets.  Upon further study,  I found the drag harrow mounts to the cultivator frame after removing the cultivator shovels.   I now know I have everything I need to mount the drag. 

The plan this summer is to dig all twenty-some walk behinds out of that shed, clean them up a little and rearrange them.  I plan to get this Blackhawk running again and limber it up some. 

Enjoy!

garage_vehicle-406-12950266381.jpg

Edited by Gtractor, February 10, 2015 - 12:05 PM.

• DougT, LPBolens, Alc and 6 others have said thanks

#38 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 06:06 PM

not sure if our thread is being ignored, or everyone just froze up for the winter. I would have thought more people would have posted to this, especially since none of us are posting restored tractors.  I guess im unsure what it takes to fire up the masses here, as I can geet 15 to 20 comments on a tractor posted on facebook. Those of you that are viewing this thread, and find something lacking or going the wrong direction, let us know, so we can make it better for you too.

• Gtractor said thank you

#39 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 07:33 PM

I forgot to check in yesterday.   :wallbanging:

Today I add my 1946 Blackhawk.  Bought this one at auction in the fall of '03, right on the MO/IA border.

It came with a plow [shown mounted] and a second plow that is different.  Not sure what brand the second plow is.   Also included was the cultivator shown in the foreground  and the drag harrow shown behind the tractor.  I had the Briggs engine running sometime about 2006 and I always keep this one in a shed.  In March of 2013 I found some wheel weights at auction which I later found fit the Blackhawk.  Here is the thread on those weights:

http://gardentractor...hts#entry335529

My interest in the Blackhawk was recently rekindled when I acquired a second Blackhawk from new member Chieffan, a 1945 model. 

I tried to mount the drag harrow to the other Blackhawk and intially decided I was missing some brackets.  Upon further study,  I found the drag harrow mounts to the cultivator frame after removing the cultivator shovels.   I now know I have everything I need to mount the drag. 

The plan this summer is to dig all twenty-some walk behinds out of that shed, clean them up a little and rearrange them.  I plan to get this Blackhawk running again and limber it up some. 

Enjoy!

attachicon.gifgarage_vehicle-406-12950266381.jpg

I like the looks of your black hawk. I am gona end up taking two fairly rough ones I have and building one nice tractor. What color were these originally do you know?

• Gtractor and Lauber1 have said thanks

#40 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 09:12 PM

some where orange and green, and some where yellow and black, not sure why, but since there where made for a Co-op, they probably just got what ever the cheapest bid was in the batch they bought.  

#41 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,631 Thanks
  • 3,922 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 12:11 AM

As you can see the one pictured above is the orange.  Not sure what shade of orange but it appears to be all original.  The engine appears to have been painted to match when new.  All three implements that came with that tractor are red. 

Not sure there is enough paint on the wheels to tell for sure. 

I see that Jeffs restored Blackhawk has green wheels.  When I get this one dug out I'll splash some muratic acid on the wheels and see what color they were. 

My other Blackhawk has the same orange on the tranny.  Many years ago there was a black rattlecan job applied to most of the tractor and wheels.  The engine, although the correct model, has been replaced and is not original to the tractor. 

#42 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,631 Thanks
  • 3,922 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 01:32 AM

not sure if our thread is being ignored, or everyone just froze up for the winter. I would have thought more people would have posted to this, especially since none of us are posting restored tractors.  I guess im unsure what it takes to fire up the masses here, as I can geet 15 to 20 comments on a tractor posted on facebook. Those of you that are viewing this thread, and find something lacking or going the wrong direction, let us know, so we can make it better for you too.

My experience is that walk behinds are mostly unappreciated.  When I display walk behinds the response I get from other garden tractor collectors at shows often times is less than favorable.  Most won't give a walk behind a second glance, just jeers and sneers.

I've overheard guys across the isle from my display poking fun at my "half of a tractor".   Then there's the ever popular  "If walking tractors are so great, Deere would have made some".  

I will say that a decent percentage of spectators, especially the older ones really light up when they see a walker and tend to stop and reminisce.  I hear all kinds of stories about the machines they used in their gardens back in the day and how wonderful it was to have something besides a hoe. 

• Alc, Lauber1, Nato77 and 2 others have said thanks

#43 Mike Unwin ONLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12382
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 09:22 AM

Well this this is all I got painted , you want the good stuff you got to get Mark to post ! I hear you about the walk  behinds to me they are vintage while the some of the other tractors are merely old .No offense but the walkers came first and being more primitive showed the transition from hand to mechanization no electric start,lights or electronics of any kind. Some of it is the young people want something to drive and I understand that,we all learned on the farm first with a tractor. Cheers Mike hope for spring.

Attached Thumbnails

• Simplicity.jpg
  • Empire 2.jpg
  • Waterloo.jpg

• DougT, Gtractor, Alc and 4 others have said thanks

#44 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 10:02 AM

Gee, Mike, you just threw 3 days worth in there. Nice looking tractors.

#45 cpg OFFLINE  

cpg
  • Member No: 57994
  • 244 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 10:06 AM

Glad I found this thread. Unfortunately I only have one walk behind right now so I will save it for a day when there are no other posts but these are great. I definitely hope to find some more walk behinds to add to my collection as they are a ton of fun.

• Gtractor and Lauber1 have said thanks