• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 6,724 Thanks
  • 4,884 posts

Posted November 08, 2016 - 07:20 AM

Looks like a nice original survivor. I don't remember seeing a gooseneck intake like that on a Clinton before.

#347 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 1,097 Thanks
  • 719 posts

Posted April 06, 2017 - 08:58 PM

I've also appreciated the submissions in this forum and thread and have begun poking into the walk behind corners of the garden tractor collecting world here around home.

I do have one walk behind that I sought out and kept, with the intention of restoration...it's been a few years in the making, and has led me to watch for this model throughout my Simplicity tractor and memorabilia collecting. Since this past weekend, I now have 2 of these Wards Culti-Cutters, and one Simplicity badged Model A.

This is my first, and the one I would like to complete restoration on. The day I brought it home....had a 3hp Briggs dated 1978, so someone used this for at least a good 40+ years. It has sat for quite a while since it's last use.

IMAG0015.jpg
IMAG0017.jpg
IMAG0019-1.jpg

I had found it outdoors, beside a rural homestead about an hour north of home.
culti-mower.jpg

I was able to find the correct Wards badged Lauson RLC, 3/4hp engine, restored and running well.

WardsLausontag.jpg

I located a few of my missing cultivator parts, and also tracked down a NOS Riverside Powergrip 4-12 tire, which matches the rotted one on my tractor. So, I have most of the parts, and little of the time needed. =]

Here are the others I brought home. The Culti-Cutter has a 1hp Lauson RSC, while the Model A has two mystery Briggs (one is 'restored', but in pieces, in boxes). These showed up here previously, about a year ago, but the Model U Briggs from the Simplicity was sold off =[

20150607_082319.jpg
20150607_085543.jpg

hi talentedmrgreen,do you still have these tractors,I'm looking for ser.no's and placement,any help would be appreciated
  • Nato77 and Tbrooks have said thanks

#348 DB1 OFFLINE  

DB1

• Member No: 7710
  • 280 Thanks
  • 290 posts

Posted May 20, 2017 - 03:45 PM

https://books.google...ford va&f=false

Hi Doug,

I found this information on the Parker from Motor World Wholesale 1914.

Candy

Here is another one that hasn't been documented as survivng. The Parker Motor Plow.  Anybody know where one is at? Anyone have any historical info?

attachicon.gifparkermotorplow.jpg                           attachicon.gifparkermotorplow1.jpg

attachicon.gifparkermotorplow2.jpg                         attachicon.gifparkermotorplow3.jpg

attachicon.gifparkermotorplow4.jpg

• DougT, Clifford Bridgford and Rustysteele have said thanks

#349 ericmj OFFLINE  

ericmj
  • Member No: 87111
  • 14 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 29, 2017 - 07:16 PM

just purchased a simplicity vc walk behind with tiller and plow attachments also a separate frame without engine.  Spent the last week getting spark and gas to work so the engine can idle without full choke.  now that the engine starts and runs i need help with the shift pattern.  the shift plate is totally faded out and i am just guessing when i select where to put the gear selector.  Don't know what gear and need to sort that out before i hook up the tiller.  i will post some pictures once i figure out the process (or get my daughter to show me).  I should know my way around this but.....

so anyone out there who has a VC or can get a picture of what the shift plate should look like, that would be most appreciated!

thanks

Eric

#350 ericmj OFFLINE  

ericmj
  • 14 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 29, 2017 - 09:10 PM

as promised here are some pictures.  as you can see the shift plate is not legible.IMG-20170529-00355.jpg IMG-20170529-00356.jpg IMG-20170529-00357.jpg

• Gtractor, Alc and Nato77 have said thanks

#351 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,790 Thanks
  • 4,772 posts

Posted May 29, 2017 - 09:26 PM

Mine ain't a whole lot better,  but maybe you can see.  These directions are for the pointer,  NOT the handle which, I believe, is opposite.  Been a few years since I ran behind one.

shift.jpg

All the way to the left is reverse.  One notch to the right is low.  Next is neutral and can be hard to "find" at times.  Continuing on towards the right is 2nd and all the way to the right is 3rd.

If I remember correctly,  you raise the shift lever to move it and it drops down in a notch for each gear.  Also I think the VC model has a hi/lo axle for 6 forward speeds and two reverse.  Again,  going on memory [which is a terrible thing for me to do] down is low side and up is high side. That is the tiny rod on the right handlebar.

Best of Luck!!!!

Edited by Gtractor, May 29, 2017 - 09:44 PM.

• DougT, Alc and CRFarnsworth have said thanks

#352 ericmj OFFLINE  

ericmj
  • 14 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 30, 2017 - 07:56 PM

Hi Kris - wow , that's exactly what I need to know.  I have low and neutral but was puzzled over the rod on the right of the handle.  Now I know what that does also. I really appreciate this information.  I will have to make up a plate I can slip over the original with all this info so I can see it when I am out using the tractor.

Don't see a lot of posts for this tractor so your insight is invaluable to me at this time!  I probably will be back with more questions in the next couple of days.

strange I get the answer here and not in the thread I started just for the shift plate.  I guess I am not thinking like everyone else :).

thanks again!!

• Gtractor said thank you

#353 twowheeler63 OFFLINE  

twowheeler63

• Member No: 3509
  • 7 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted August 24, 2017 - 06:51 AM

I have an H, which is the same tractor, but only 5 3/4hp. I "restored" it several years ago, and use it occasionally for plowing the garden.

#354 morepower302 OFFLINE  

morepower302
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 64862
  • 75 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted September 23, 2017 - 02:22 PM

Here's my most recent acquisition. I went looking for some spare parts to have on hand for my 1940 Standard Twin, ending up coming home with most of the spare parts that I was looking for and the rest of the tractor attached to them. It's mostly all there, missing the air cleaner and the fuel line. The fuel line is easy to reproduce, so if I can find an air cleaner assembly for it I may eventually restore it, then I'll be in the market again for more spare parts.

Anyone want to take a guess at what year it is? You may have to look closely but the clues are there, or in some ways not...

IMAG5401.jpg

IMAG5402.jpg
  • Gtractor and Vrdaddy have said thanks

#355 Vrdaddy OFFLINE  

Vrdaddy
  • Member No: 86662
  • 15 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted October 14, 2017 - 09:33 AM

Found this topic today,I think it is a pretty good idea having a walk behind of the day. This is my "Sam beachy & son's endless tread garden tractor," never knew much about them,just knew I liked the looks of these little machines & I had to have one. Got this at an auction for $75.00, it has a AU7R Continental engine on it (not running........yet!) It needs some work but I'm up for the challenge, it's not the prettiest looking but what I love about it is seeing how pieces of it you can tell are hand made and not fabricated by a machine.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20170506_184759.jpg
  • IMG_20170506_184659.jpg
  • IMG_20170506_184946.jpg

Edited by Vrdaddy, October 14, 2017 - 09:42 AM.

• Gtractor, Alc, Lauber1 and 2 others have said thanks

#356 Bob White12 OFFLINE  

Bob White12
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 88445
  • 72 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted October 21, 2017 - 06:26 PM

Here's my most recent acquisition. I went looking for some spare parts to have on hand for my 1940 Standard Twin, ending up coming home with most of the spare parts that I was looking for and the rest of the tractor attached to them. It's mostly all there, missing the air cleaner and the fuel line. The fuel line is easy to reproduce, so if I can find an air cleaner assembly for it I may eventually restore it, then I'll be in the market again for more spare parts.

Anyone want to take a guess at what year it is? You may have to look closely but the clues are there, or in some ways not...

attachicon.gifIMAG5401.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG5402.jpg

its got to be after 1934 but I don't think its a 50s or late 40s model. if you got the serial tag number its pretty easy to decode. if the serial tag is missing it might be stamped into the block well on early walshes and monarchs it is

• morepower302 said thank you

#357 morepower302 OFFLINE  

morepower302
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 64862
  • 75 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted October 21, 2017 - 10:16 PM

its got to be after 1934 but I don't think its a 50s or late 40s model. if you got the serial tag number its pretty easy to decode. if the serial tag is missing it might be stamped into the block well on early walshes and monarchs it is

Your definitely on the right track. The main clue, which maybe you noticed, is that it does not have the governor for the engine. If I recall correctly 1940 was the first year that the Twin was equipped with a governor? The serial number tag is intact and dates the tractor as a 1937.
  • Bob White12 said thank you

#358 Bob White12 OFFLINE  

Bob White12
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 88445
  • 72 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted October 22, 2017 - 08:03 PM

Your definitely on the right track. The main clue, which maybe you noticed, is that it does not have the governor for the engine. If I recall correctly 1940 was the first year that the Twin was equipped with a governor? The serial number tag is intact and dates the tractor as a 1937.

im glad you figured yours out mine took the longest time before I figured out the year. what dose the governor look like? were they on the smaller models like the Walsh and monarch? man I love standard twins or well really I just love standard garden tractors there not like Bolens or any other. they make there own engine transmission and frankly I think that if you want it done right you do it yourself.