• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 09:38 PM

Been working on this Planet jr project off and on most of the winter. I have the tractor rebuilt and repowered with a modern briggs engine. I've also been building attachments to fit it, like a 300A seeder, adapting a DB fert attachment to the front, and recreating a new orginial attachment, the wire weeder, and yes this tractor sitting in my living room, where I can tinker and not have to heat the shop. This unit is going into the garden as a full working tractor.

planet engine 002.JPG 300 hitch 001.JPG pj fert 001.JPG weed 001.JPG weed wheels 001.JPG improved weeder 001.JPG

• Gtractor, LPBolens, Nato77 and 3 others have said thanks

#302 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 09:56 PM

I'm glad I am not the only one who thinks it is okay to have machinery and parts in the house. (I store my NOS chrome Bolens hubcaps in the china cabinet.)
  • Gtractor, Lauber1 and Nato77 have said thanks

#303 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,617 Thanks
  • 3,914 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 06:46 PM

Bought this 1948 Waterbury-built Wards last July.  This pic was posted back then, so many of you have seen it before.

Riverside knobbies.jpg

The tractor is pretty rough.   I just wanted the tires for my much nicer Waterbury.  Had the Clinton engine running last winter.  Runs great but has a knock.  Its not original to the tractor.

At work we have a MEGA-high-dollar John Deere Steam cleaner/pressure washer.  Needed to steam some of the crud off my pickup tranny while I have it out for clutch replacement so I took these wheels to work today also.  The wheels had two different colors of rattle-can paint all over. Even on the sidewalls of the tires.  It was slow like sandblasting but most of the paint came off.  Even removed some of the factory wheel paint.  When they dried I could see I didn't get near all the dirt off the tires but they are much better than they were. 

After work I took a hand held wire brush to the tires to remove more of the paint the washer missed and it made the tires shine.  They are dry in the pic with no rubber dressing.  Tires are not great but they are decent, very usable, and hold air.   Total investment for complete tractor, engine, and tires,  $15. 

Riversides.jpg

Edited by Gtractor, April 06, 2016 - 06:48 PM.

• LPBolens, Alc, Lauber1 and 5 others have said thanks

#304 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted May 04, 2016 - 08:39 AM

Those tires are non-existent now days

• Gtractor said thank you

#305 Junkologist OFFLINE  

Junkologist

• Member No: 1938
  • 29 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 09:38 PM

I'll give this thread a little bump with one of mine. This is a Merry Garden Auto Cultivator built in Cleveland, Ohio by The Atlantic Machine & Mfg Co. in the 1920s. It has a water-cooled Evinrude two cycle engine with a chain drive Bosch magneto.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

Edited by Junkologist, May 15, 2016 - 09:39 PM.

• Bolens 1000, DougT, Gtractor and 12 others have said thanks

#306 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 05:26 AM

That's another one I never saw !!  Great looking machine ,  do you have any other threads here about it ?   

#307 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 414 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 10:06 PM

Oh what the heck,I will post the simplicity I just bought,I gave $12.50 for it at an auction.Currently it is the only walk behind I have.As I looked at all the others on here I remembered how much I like them,I used to own 3 david bradleys and a jari sickle bar mower but sold all of them to a collector by chicago many years ago.I was gonna get it running correctly then sell it ,Turn a quick buck,,,,,,,,,Now I dont think so.I think I may have to expand my collection

Attached Thumbnails

• PTDC0001.JPG
  • PTDC0002.JPG
  • PTDC0003.JPG
  • PTDC0005.JPG
  • PTDC0006.JPG
  • PTDC0007.JPG

• Gtractor, Alc, Lauber1 and 1 other said thanks

#308 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 305 Thanks
  • 239 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 11:54 PM

I'll give this thread a little bump with one of mine. This is a Merry Garden Auto Cultivator built in Cleveland, Ohio by The Atlantic Machine & Mfg Co. in the 1920s. It has a water-cooled Evinrude two cycle engine with a chain drive Bosch magneto.

#309 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 305 Thanks
  • 239 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 12:00 AM

That is more than bump, probably has the boat motor primer cups too, very nice
  • Junkologist said thank you

#310 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 12:51 AM

brought in a couple more this weekend, one is a Springfield with a Clinton, the other turns out to be a Waterbury, model H missing it engine, but not altered and has nice knobby tires.

Attached Thumbnails

• springfield 001.JPG
  • waterbury 001.JPG

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, Alc and 4 others have said thanks

#311 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 05:39 AM

On the Springfield it looks like there's a plate welded on the bottom of the plow do you know if that was factory or maybe someone put it on there to help keep the furrow flat at the bottom ?

#312 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted June 05, 2016 - 10:12 AM

I must have left the back of the truck to empty as another one has appeared in it. Ive been looking for several yrs but they always wanted $100 or more for these running or not and I couldn't see it. This was only $20, and that my kind of tractor.

Denmark 16 038.JPG

• Bolens 1000, earthgrinder, DougT and 2 others have said thanks

#313 earthgrinder OFFLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 450
  • 817 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted June 05, 2016 - 04:50 PM

$20, I would say quite a bargain with those attachments and I assume the right motor.

• Lauber1 said thank you

#314 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted June 05, 2016 - 07:20 PM

$20, I would say quite a bargain with those attachments and I assume the right motor.

well the attachment sort of fit, but also don't really fit, os ill have sort that out, later. I didn't even fool with the engine, swapped it for a  2hp briggs that I knew was rebuilt yr or so back, its got a little fuel issue but im sure it will come out of that. Going to be working this one soon as I can get it running and digging.

#315 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 10:27 PM

Another new to me item today. Through a little dealing and some luck 1964Deere happened to be getting married this weekend near me and brought over this Planet Jr..Planetiller. These are not  a tractor, nor are they a roto tiller, but a power rotary cultivator. I got it home and found it to leak gas out of about every orifice, had a few loose and missing items, but managed to get it out for a test run tonite, where all things considered it did fairly well at cutting off the weeds about an inch below the surface. It going to need some carb work and a couple of other minor repairs to be a full time machine.  The machine cuts 10" wide, has a 6B briggs engine,/recoil starting, a big plus. There is no power to the wheels, the tings pull it along.  

Planetiller 001.JPG Planetiller 002.JPG Planetiller 003.JPG Planetiller 004.JPG

• DougT, Gtractor, LPBolens and 5 others have said thanks