Garden Tractor Forums banner

First mess of crappie for the year

2K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  tater195 
#1 ·
First off, I apologize to the guys in the northeast, not something you want to see when you are dealing with snow up to your..... but I had to post this.

Above average temps here and the lake thawed last week, so I had to try out the crappie. Not biting real good ,but not bad for this time of year. A dozen big fat 10" slabbers

( I count 11 too... one jumped off the table when I was trying to get the phone ready)

Just waiting for my fingers to thaw out so I can clean them.

#4 ·
Not bad from the bank, looking forward to wednesday, 67 deg, but 20mph winds. Gonna have to use a green GT for an anchor. Most were about 7ft deep in 12 foot of water

Reactions: Alc
#8 ·
Great looking mess of Crappie. Makes me want to go fishing, nothing better then a fresh fried mess of fish. :thumbs:
There is , but that is a mess of spring crappie with morels and wild turkey (both kinds!!)

#9 ·
There is , but that is a mess of spring crappie with morels and wild turkey (both kinds!!)
Actually, I love fresh caught Walleye better then any other fish. We used to go up to the Boundary Waters of MN every summer to fish for a week or 2. We would have a packed shore lunch to eat on one of the islands and we always had stuff to fry the mornings catch for lunch, nothing better, unless we would have found some Morels to fry with them. !!

Reactions: tater195
#16 ·
Those do look good. We have a lot of ice here on the local lakes and I've seen some ice fishing going on in the last week or 2.

#17 ·
Love fresh fish but our crappie don't start till just before memorial Day. Use to fish a lot of Bass tournaments and never did ice fish. How can you fish through a 6" hole on a 1000 A lake and make payments on a $20K bass boat parked in the garage ? ?

#18 ·
The ice is too iffy around here for me to get on it. We usually get a late January/ early February thaw. The crappie bite starts as soon as the ice comes off. I have gone out on the lake that was crusted over if the weather warms up but the lake still has a little ice on it, vertical fishing between the icebergs. I have had good luck bass fishing during this time too, but I usually go after the crappie for better action.

#19 ·
Just a little update: went out the next day in the boat. windy as hell. it had everything stirred up and the water was real muddy. I fished for about an hour and never got a hit. I spent most of the time trying to keep the boat where I wanted it.

Then it got cold and the lake crusted over for 2 weeks. I finally got a chance to fish last sunday. A few friends came out and fished off of the dock while I had the boat anchored in about 13 feet of water. we fished for 2 hours. I caught 23, they caught 8 between the 3 of them (1 guy got skunked). We ate 1/2 of them for dinner Monday night. My wife got tired of frying them. I have been cruising the 'net for a different way to cook them. I found some posts about grilled crappie tacos made on a George Foreman grill that I will try. It sounds good and they say they cook quick on the GFG.

#21 ·
I will have to try that next time. I bagged a limit of nice ones the other day and tried a new beer batter recipe. They didnt turn out as good as I would have hoped, needed more/ different spices, kinda bland.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.