• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 07:30 AM

Those do look good. We have a lot of ice here on the local lakes and I've seen some ice fishing going on in the last week or 2.

#17 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 08:40 AM

Love fresh fish but our crappie don't start till just before memorial Day.  Use to fish a lot of Bass tournaments and never did ice fish.  How can you fish through a 6" hole on a 1000 A lake and make payments on a $20K bass boat parked in the garage ? ?

#18 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 08:50 AM

The ice is too iffy around here for me to get on it. We usually get a late January/ early February thaw. The crappie bite starts as soon as the ice comes off. I have gone out on the lake that was crusted over if the weather warms up but the lake still has a little ice on it, vertical fishing between the icebergs. I have had good luck bass fishing during this time too, but I usually go after the crappie for better action.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#19 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

• 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 02:18 PM

Just a little update: went out the next day in the boat. windy as hell. it had everything stirred up and the water was real muddy. I fished for about an hour and never got a hit. I spent most of the time trying to keep the boat where I wanted it.

Then it got cold and the lake crusted over for 2 weeks. I finally got a chance to fish last sunday. A few friends came out and fished off of the dock while I had the boat anchored in about 13 feet of water. we fished for 2 hours. I caught 23, they caught 8 between the 3 of them (1 guy got skunked). We ate 1/2 of them for dinner Monday night. My wife got tired of frying them. I have been cruising the 'net for a different way to cook them. I found some posts about grilled crappie tacos made on a George Foreman grill that I will try. It sounds good and they say they cook quick on the GFG.

#20 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 09:22 PM

Cover your filets with ranch dressing, put them in a baking dish, cover them with crushed potato chips and grated cheese. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes.
  • KennyP and tater195 have said thanks

#21 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

• 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 03:42 PM

I will have to try that next time. I bagged a limit of nice ones the other day and tried a new beer batter recipe. They didnt turn out as good as I would have hoped, needed more/ different spices, kinda bland.