• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sodisr ONLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted January 27, 2015 - 01:17 PM

Can anyone tell me if the Tecumseh  15 hp. motors are a bit Cold-Blooded ..???

I don't use it very often,, but it is ready for a good snow storm..  Mine turns over fine and I try to start it up about once a month... But it seems to take about 30 seconds to fire up...  I don't see any leaks at the bowl. as to empty the carb,, It has good 93 octane with sea-foam to stabilize it .. Once it starts it runs fine..I just don't like the wear and tear of  the starter,,and the engine turning over so long, not getting the oil splash effect for lubrication 

Any thoughts.?????            sodi

• Traill95 said thank you

#2 Rainier ONLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 375 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted January 27, 2015 - 02:11 PM

Since I rebuilt my HH150 it starts right up. But after sitting a couple months I would have a little trouble getting it to fire, mostly waiting for the gas to get to the carb. It does not get that cold here in the NW Washington. Yesterday we hit 60 deg. I just had mowed the grass last week.
Do you run the carb empty when parking it?

#3 sodisr ONLINE  

sodisr
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted January 27, 2015 - 02:14 PM

Since I rebuilt my HH150 it starts right up. But after sitting a couple months I would have a little trouble getting it to fire, mostly waiting for the gas to get to the carb. It does not get that cold here in the NW Washington. Yesterday we hit 60 deg. I just had mowed the grass last week.
Do you run the carb empty when parking it?

No I never run it empty...

#4 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,104 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted January 27, 2015 - 02:21 PM

My Ford LGT 165 with K341 16 hp Kohler does the same thing.  Always starts, but it seems to take some turning before it will fire. Runs great after it starts. Put piston and rings in this spring and it did that after.  Not started that often.   Noel 

• Traill95 and sodisr have said thanks

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 27, 2015 - 11:44 PM

I wouldn't call them cold blooded.  If I was you, I would pull the valve cover off and make sure your valves are within tolerances.  If they are all good, I would replace the spark plug with the correct plug.

Ben W.

• Bolens 1000, WrenchinOnIt and sodisr have said thanks

#6 sodisr ONLINE  

sodisr
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 09:57 AM

Thanks,,,Ben

The valves have been set just this last fall...I did notice that the plug was a different #  Than the manual...I think if I remember right,, I could not find the correct plug for it... Something like #000 superseeded #0001... I'll look into this..But if my feeble memory serves me right the plug I have in there is a range cooler,,and the other recomended plug was hotter...I mow in summer and thought it would run cooler with the cooler plug...  Not sure if this makes sense,,, ( it did to me ) at the time

P S...   The plug I have in it now is a     Champ.  L86C 

The book says to use                Champ.  L7

Thanks           sodi

Edited by sodisr, January 28, 2015 - 10:00 AM.

• superaben said thank you

#7 Hydrohusky OFFLINE  

Hydrohusky
  • Member No: 48182
  • 36 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 09:35 PM

I have the same challenge with my 1556.  When not using it, I close the tank valve.  I'm assuming that since the carburetor is vented to the atmosphere via the air cleaner, fuel evaporates between during extended time off.  It takes 30 seconds for the fuel pump (which is crankcase pressure driven) to draw fuel from the tank and fill the carb bowl enough.  When I use it every couple days, it fires right up without delay. 

• sodisr said thank you

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 09:36 PM

Could just be worn diaphragms in those fuel pumps.......

• sodisr and superaben have said thanks

#9 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 11:08 PM

The spark plug should be an RL82C.  I never have used it, I run the L82C because the resistor is harder on that SSI unit.  Not exactly a common one by any stretch of the imagination, but it is the best plug for these engines.

Could just be worn diaphragms in those fuel pumps.......

Those fuel pumps are very easy to rebuild, too.  I know I have the rebuild kits, I'm sure Brian does too.

Ben W.

• Bolens 1000 and sodisr have said thanks

#10 sodisr ONLINE  

sodisr
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted January 29, 2015 - 01:40 PM

Fuel pump was rebuilt also...  Yes,, very easy to rebuild...I may look into the line from the engine to pump... The line from tank and filter are new also..

The best luck I have to get it to start  is   Full choke,,,and full throttle,then back off the choke and turn the throttle down to let oil sling to the whole motor and warm up a bit.