11 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 07:16 PM

Has anyone been able to turn the cable blocks on the throttle levers or the stop nuts onto the new cable we get today?   I thought I had it figured out until I got the new cable and it didn't work.  Has anyone been able to figure out how this is accomplished?  Want to share you secret?  Thanks much.

#2 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 07:28 PM

Ya they are a bitch. No one make the old style cable anymore and no one make the nut either. Best thing you could do is go to an old school dealer and see if they have any left over.

• chieffan said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 07:33 PM

Can you post some pics of the areas your trying to thread.

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 08:24 PM

Pretty much in the dark here. But and I can not remember what I was working on last summer(maybe my chinese drill press)?
I ran into a bolt that had a thread that was not standard. True Value had a good selection of metric bolts and nut and none would match. One was close and I could tap the nut and it only ran off point on the last two threads. So that is what I did was cut new threads on those points (looked a bit cobbled but once on the bolt only I will know)and never had a problem. It seems that some third world countries do not hold 100% to standards or maybe used worn taps and dies?

#5 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,279 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 08:54 PM

Try using the cable that they sell in the HELP section at the parts stores as a choke cable kit. It seems to fit the old levers and nuts.

• Alc, Lauber1 and chieffan have said thanks

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,659 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 09:47 PM

PK guys ran into this. Those are special nuts that can be gotten from Mission Manufacturing in S. Indiana. They had a bucket made at big cost I guess?   Anyway, those still won't fit the modern Chinese made outer covers on new cables. for some reason the outer cases are slightly smaller than the older versions. Think it is going to make you go to the clamp downs with a screw to hold it onto sheet metal or a bracket then. I see those little clamps and special fittings at shows, not sure where you can buy in a Hardware store or ???  Might try ACE and their little drawers of special hardware and spend the big bucks on the little gadgets??

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 27, 2015 - 09:33 AM

I saved the control on both the tractors and have new cable installed and working.  But some time down the road when the core starts dragging I will probably run into a problem.  Thinking ahead a little I guess.  Will get a couple photos of what I am talking about later today.  25° out there now but the sun is shinning.

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 27, 2015 - 02:12 PM

Can you post some pics of the areas your trying to thread.

Here are some photos I took this noon.  I also did some checking with the calipers and the old and new cables are within .002 with the old being smaller.  What I did notice when I laid the two side by side is that the new cable is made using a larger diameter wire.  Dinner was ready so didn't count the turns per inch on both but I believe that is where the problem arises.

Lever-1.JPG Lever-2.JPG Nuts-1.JPG

Nuts-2.JPG Nuts-3.JPG

• Bolens 1000, Alc, Bruce Dorsi and 1 other said thanks

#9 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted January 27, 2015 - 06:53 PM

I think I have something that will work , after looking around the inventory I had I found this cable threads right on to the old briggs nut I had, problem is its only available as this control assembly so we'd have to cut the head off and use the wire. there's about 100'' of useable cable when you do this.

http://bolenspartsan...0-850-750-1455/

Attached Thumbnails

• $_57.JPG

#10 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted January 27, 2015 - 07:04 PM

Think briggs was the only ones with the smaller cable as the new aftermarket cables threaded right on my Wisconsin Engine.

• Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#11 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 01:43 PM

I am, not trying to thread the cable on to any engine part.  The one Briggs has a hole through the cast side cover for the cable to go through.  A nut goes on each side of the hole to anchor it in place.  The other end goes to the control end.  I don't think any engine or tractor manufacturer made these as I have exactly the same set up on a Gardener and Bradley.  I may have to go with a smller cable that

I think I have something that will work , after looking around the inventory I had I found this cable threads right on to the old briggs nut I had, problem is its only available as this control assembly so we'd have to cut the head off and use the wire. there's about 100'' of useable cable when you do this.

http://bolenspartsan...0-850-750-1455/

If we go with the that control cable and cut the head off, will that cable thread into the heads on these old tractors?

#12 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 01:51 PM

It should

I do have a defective cable here that your welcome to have free of charge if you pay the shipping, Just send me a PM