3 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 07:11 PM

Working on my David Bradley and have a fair amount of side play win the wheels.  When I shake it side to side at the top it will move about an inch or so.  I did not see anything in the manual I downloaded where it address this issue.  How tight should the axle clamps be against the wheel hub to reduce or allow for a certain amount of play?

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,612 Thanks
  • 3,912 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 07:31 PM

I would guess the axle clamps should be tight up against the hubs while still allowing free rotation of the hub. 

I would also guess that those homemade wheel weights on your tractor hang out so far that they have put extra side pressure on the hubs compounding the wear.  :(

• chieffan said thank you

#3 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 07:31 PM

that's a common problem and DB tractors and there isn't much that can be done about it. There is no bushing in them, just the bore the factory made though the casting. About the only thing you could do is keep the clamp close to the hub.

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 27, 2015 - 09:24 AM

I would guess the axle clamps should be tight up against the hubs while still allowing free rotation of the hub. 

I would also guess that those homemade wheel weights on your tractor hang out so far that they have put extra side pressure on the hubs compounding the wear.  :(

That was my line of thinking also.  Keep the clamps as tight against the wheel as possible and keep them greased.  Those "wheel weights" are NOT going back on that machine again either.  Not sure what I am going to do with them at this point.  To heavy to move and to much work to make smaller.  Thanks for the information guys.

• Gtractor said thank you