• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • Member No: 35312
  • 140 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 12:20 PM

Hello there 2 wheelers, just picked up an old Troy Bilt Horse from a buddy that I'll be working on so I figured I'd introduce myself, got a couple other tractors on here, but my first two wheel machine, other than a DR mower. Not sure of the age of this tiller, but my buddy says its at least 30 years old. The k191 on it needs a new carb and condenser, and tires. It was cheaper for right now just to buy a HF 6.5 hp engine that bolts right up. Might rebuild the kohler and put it back on later. Got a lot of scrubbing and sanding to do before I paint. This ones sort of a back burner project, keeping it at my buddies shop for something to tinker with when he and I knock back a couple cold ones on a Friday night now and then.

[attachment=141340:image.jpg]
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#2 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 12:36 PM

May 1978 was first introduction of the use of Kohler.

Stadind at the back, look on the right side where the handlebars attach, above axle is a flat pad, should be a 6 digit # stamped there. Post it and I will give ya the year.

#3 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • 140 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 01:35 PM

Ok will do, thanks

#4 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 04:00 PM

I don't know about yours.
But, mine has reverse that utilizes the cam shaft.
Those engines are NLA.
So, if you replace the origional engine you will give up having a reverse gear.

Joe

#5 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 04:06 PM

You cant beat those old K series kohlers!

I would rebuild yours!

Most parts are still available, they even have new replacement carburetors for these engines!

#6 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 07:53 PM

K91? The original Horse tillers came with a 4.5 HP Clinton. The earliest Kohlers I have seen were the K161 which is a 7HP.
Thru the years (and even within th same model year) Troy mixed in Tecumseh (mostly the old HH series cast iron engines) and Briggs engines.
As you said this machine isn't new. I wonder if someone along the way swapped motors with what ever they had layin around.

If I were to find another one, if it didn't already have this on it I'd be putting a Kohler M8 (same as a K181 except for electronic ignition) onto it.

A Horse is a horse. Troy built a few other models (Horse Jr, Pony, and others I can't think of right now)

but as far as I remember all horse models were the same tilling width.

Some had other options like a PTO drive where others did not, but they still had the same tilling width.

Edited by dodge trucker, January 26, 2015 - 07:57 PM.

#7 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • 140 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 11:24 PM

Dodge trucker, ya got me there, its a k181 8hp, not a k191, my goof.

#8 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • 140 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 11:27 PM

I don't know about yours.
But, mine has reverse that utilizes the cam shaft.
Those engines are NLA.
So, if you replace the origional engine you will give up having a reverse gear.
Joe

Not sure if they used different methods but the way this one works is the motor slides up and down on a trunnion. Fully up and the belt is tightened all the way for max speed, drop it down all the way and it now touches the transmission pulley, spinning it in the opposite direction which reverses it.
  • Rock farmer said thank you

#9 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted January 27, 2015 - 08:51 AM

They used  6Hp Tecumseh up until may 1978 when they started using some 7Hp kohlers.

Sept 1984 they offered 6 Hp Tecs, 7Hp Kohlers and 8Hp Briggs along with the option PTO clutch for the rear tines.

June 1987, 8Hp kohlers replace the 8 Hp Briggs.....so if the engine is original, you may have a newer horse than I even thought.

#10 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • 140 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 07:04 AM

May 1978 was first introduction of the use of Kohler.

Stadind at the back, look on the right side where the handlebars attach, above axle is a flat pad, should be a 6 digit # stamped there. Post it and I will give ya the year.

Couldn't make out 6 digits, only 5 and they were 45 420, first digit may have been 0

#11 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 08:25 AM

First digit could've been an 8, then that would make it  845420 which puts it as Feb 1987 make date, but then the original motor would have been a 7 Hp Kohler, 8hp didn't start until June of that year. 

Can you post any pics?

#12 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • 140 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 03:14 PM

I had 2 posted, not sure where they went, I'll get em reposted

#13 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • 140 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted March 24, 2015 - 11:10 PM

Got some more done on the Horse in the last few weeks.  Mounted a new set of 4.80-8 tires.  When we went to set the bead on one, we found a defect in the wheel (looks like a valve hole stamp that never got fully punched) so that required a tube in that tire.  After some cleaning on the sticker for the old engine, found out its a K161-T like some of you suggested it might be.  Anyhow, I originally had bought a Harbor Freight 8 hp engine, but we found out we'd have to make a plate for it, and change the pulley as the shaft was 1".  So I took that back and got the 6.5 HP model, and that one bolted right up, no modification needed other than about 5/16" worth of shims to get the depth right on the shaft for the pulley.  Looks like the engine protective cage will bolt right back on too without modification.  Havent fired it up yet, need a longer bolt to bolt the pulley tight to the shaft, but its comin.  Am thinking about getting some old Horse decals off eBay too.  Here's a few pics

DSCF0186

DSCF0187

• LPBolens, Alc and VSTROM803 have said thanks

#14 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 10:16 AM

You'll want to run the tire on the oil check side up on a 2x4 so you can overfill it, else the low oil shut off will kill it when the engine angle gets too great. I finally had to disconnect the shutoff as it would still kill it when tilling at full depth.

Mike

• Firemang said thank you

#15 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • 140 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted March 25, 2015 - 06:16 PM

You'll want to run the tire on the oil check side up on a 2x4 so you can overfill it, else the low oil shut off will kill it when the engine angle gets too great. I finally had to disconnect the shutoff as it would still kill it when tilling at full depth.
                                                    Mike

Yeah I've heard that complaint from other folks who've re powered with the Honda clone, where is the low oil sensor at and how'd you do it?