My 1220 shifter has been a problem for me since I picked it up. It was so loose that it would move up and out of the grooves of the shift rods. Part of my job is building maintenance so I figured I must have something I can use as raw material to fix this ...
Searching through my inventory I found a door knob rose (rosette). The shape was perfect, just a bit smaller than the top ring, and it was brass! I trimmed it so that all that was left was the center section and I put it between the shifter and the top ring. The shifter now moves smoothly and it has no play.
I'll be testing it out tomorrow when I deal with the big storm we have coming.
I'll post a picture later, but it's pretty simple.