Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Lost key on rear pulley on B112... am i ok still? 2 feet of snow coming!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ACB112Guy OFFLINE  

ACB112Guy
  • Member No: 53752
  • 39 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 11:30 AM

Hi guys. I just noticed on my 68 b112 on the rear left side pulley the key is gone. when i shut the machine off the pulley moves out about an inch and half. rattles. but ok. i dont have the right size key for it, probably lost the screw that holds it in, and we got two feet of snow on its way. I assume i have been blowing snow with this for awhile with these parts missing. the pulley cant come off all the way because the guard will stop it eventually should it even move over that far. and im not using any rear or middle attachments, just the snow thrower on the front. so.. i hope im ok until i get this fixed after the storm?  any input would be appreciated. 

thanks

Edited by ACB112Guy, January 26, 2015 - 11:31 AM.

#2 ACB112Guy OFFLINE  

ACB112Guy
  • 39 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 11:38 AM

when the machine is running the pulley is spinning fast of course and stays close to where it sits naturally. maybe spins out 1/4 of an inch then back in, and so on. the only time it seems to move out about an inch is when you shut the machine off. so.. i THINK im ok.... 

• propane1 said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 11:41 AM

If that shaft moves far enough, the moon key on the gear inside the BGB will drop out. That's where you stop and hope no damage done.
You would be well served to figure a way to keep that pulley in place so that bad things don't happen.
  • hamman, ACB112Guy and propane1 have said thanks

#4 ACB112Guy OFFLINE  

ACB112Guy
  • 39 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 11:48 AM

i can run and get another key. but i dont see where to hold it in place? how does that pulley keep the shaft from moving. seems like the pulley just sits on there to hold a belt when you are using the rear or middle pto, no? 

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 12:12 PM

I would look that pulley over better, and wait until a Simplicity guy can answer... But the one time I had to deal with a,problem like this, my shaft slid over,and the key in the BGB fell out. Thankfully, not breaking anything.
  • ACB112Guy said thank you

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 12:24 PM

Running that pulley loose can lead to bad things happening. At the least it could wallow out the bore of the pulley and at worst ruin the shaft. Been there and done that on my Murray. Hopefully there is a set screw that tightens down on the key. I had to drill and tap my pulley for an oversized set screw.
  • MH81 and ACB112Guy have said thanks

#7 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 01:06 PM

Is this a peerless 2300? cause i had alot of troubles with this

#8 ACB112Guy OFFLINE  

ACB112Guy
  • 39 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 01:37 PM

speedex, im sorry im not sure what you mean. its the left pulley that comes out of the bevel gear box which you would hook the belt up to for the rear pto or mid pto i believe. i got a new key and hopefully the right size set screw. im going to attempt to put it back on right. the guy at the tractor repair shop said the shaft is kept in place by the bevel gear box so it shouldnt matter if that pulley is on or not since its not being used at all. not sure what the right answer is. hopefully someone on here with a 1968 b112 will know for sure.

thanks to everyone so far... attempting to solve. i got a heavy duty hose clamp to try to keep it tight in a pinch if i have to. i hope tho i can get it back together or find out its nothing to worry about.  

• superspeedex said thank you

#9 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 02:46 PM

I just didnt know what kinda transmission it was

#10 ACB112Guy OFFLINE  

ACB112Guy
  • 39 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 03:51 PM

oh.. not sure. but the shaft goes through the bgb. no where near the tranny. not sure if the two are related. im a novice. lol 

#11 ACB112Guy OFFLINE  

ACB112Guy
  • 39 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 04:16 PM

well... i got all the parts. however, i dont have the right size allen key but it was snowing like crazy so i gave up for now. I put a heavy duty hose clamp next to the pulley on the shaft to keep it tight where it normally sits. hopefully this will be good enough to get me through this storm. might try to solve once the snow stops in on wednesday morning before i clean up. hopefully someone here can tell me all is ok until i get it fixed right. 

thanks again all. 

Edited by ACB112Guy, January 26, 2015 - 04:16 PM.

#12 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,060 Thanks
  • 2,175 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 05:36 PM

Just remove that pulley until you can properly secure it. It doesnt hold the shaft in the bgb, and if that shaft moves in and out, you are headed for trouble.
  • ACB112Guy said thank you

#13 ACB112Guy OFFLINE  

ACB112Guy
  • 39 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 07:06 PM

ok, thats what im going to do. another member messaged me the same thing. there is no movement in the shaft. we just rebuilt the bgb last season. shes tight as a drum. the clamp did prevent the pulley from spinning almost completely now. but im just going to remove it now that i know for sure. thanks so much. 

cant wait til next year, ill have a garage to do this in. right now im on the sidewalk with no covering, just open. and the wind and snow are blowing.  figures i just seem to notice this before the biggest snow storm weve seen in a long long time hits. oh well! 

thanks again for the help. it is much appreciated! 

Edited by ACB112Guy, January 26, 2015 - 07:31 PM.