#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 11:11 AM

with people on Craigslist. I see a couple has gone missing in Georgia after posting an add that they were looking for a vintage car. Having a background in Law Enforcement I have always said that there was a need for people to be careful when dealing with adds related to Craigslist. These people have not been seen or heard of since last Thursday.
I have only had one dealing myself with buying off Craigslist and I made it very clear that we meet at a very public place in the mid day. Now some may say I am paranoid but if that is what it takes to make a safe and pleasurable transaction that is what I will do. If I had been selling I would of, within certain guidelines, let the buyer express his wishes as to where and when to meet. I prefer to meet at a place where there is plenty of people or at a Police, Sheriff or State Police department parking lot. Yah I know still paranoid but it's better for all concerned, and most Police agencies don't have a problem with this. I have dealt with a lot of people from different forums and I am pretty sure that these will be a good transaction without a problem. Just know more about these folks that you would do than those who use Craigslist and Kiji.
Just want you to be safe as we enjoy this hobby of ours. As well we need to treat others that we deal with with the same honest and complete deals. Be Safe. Roger.
  • Bolens 1000, olcowhand, rustyoldjunk and 14 others have said thanks

#2 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 11:33 AM

I agree.  My wife wanted to buy some baby stuff off people after only talking with them over emails.  The house was located in the middle of no where.  I told her she was not to go alone, wait till I got home, or took her dad, or my dad, or something along.  She waited for me.  And it was on the up and up, but what if it wasn't?

Any time I go for a craigs lists deal, I am armed. 

• olcowhand, GTTinkerer, hamman and 2 others have said thanks

#3 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,439 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 12:04 PM

The best deal is always between two men, eye in eye! I don't buy anything in the internet (like my wife and my sons do).

• hamman, bgkid2966, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#4 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 661 Thanks
  • 385 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 12:19 PM

Roger you are so right.   The little cow town I live in, the police dept. has one detective  that deals with all the craigslist complaints it takes one to two days a month of his time . He told me this when I made my report. PUBLIC PLACES NOT BY YOUR SELF  CASH ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!

• GTTinkerer, hamman, bgkid2966 and 2 others have said thanks

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 12:32 PM

The latest news is that they have a suspect in custody in the case here in GA.  No body's and no motive as yet but they have arrested the guy. Craigslist is a hot bed for criminals of all kinds and you can never be to careful.

• GTTinkerer, hamman, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,742 Thanks
  • 7,514 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 12:56 PM

Hamman: Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that someone isn't out to get you. I'm usually very paranoid, it goes with being an engineer to the bone. An engineer is supposed to figure out everything that can go wrong and then design so that the product can with stand it within codes. I have dealt with alot of people on CL and some have become friends. I buy wierd stuff that doesn't attract many people so I tend to be dealing with characters like myself( honest but strange). I'm also big enough to intimidate people.

Your concern is spot on and you are wise to be wary. Good Luck, Rick

• hamman, tinbender7, bgkid2966 and 2 others have said thanks

#7 wvbuzzmaster ONLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 02:32 PM

Ive done many a dealing on craigslist, and so far so good. I sometimes take Dad along, sometimes not. Regardless, i let my parents know where i will be and when. And i always call after the deal is done and im on my way home. It is little things like that that keep me safe. Several times Mom called me to see if i was ok because well... I got to talking with the seller because we shared common interests. It is always a good feeling to know that someone has your back.
  • hamman, KennyP, bgkid2966 and 2 others have said thanks

#8 cootertom ONLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 717 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 03:23 PM

Ive done many a dealing on craigslist, and so far so good. I sometimes take Dad along, sometimes not. Regardless, i let my parents know where i will be and when. And i always call after the deal is done and im on my way home. It is little things like that that keep me safe. Several times Mom called me to see if i was ok because well... I got to talking with the seller because we shared common interests. It is always a good feeling to know that someone has your back.

All my dealings has been on the up and up when I called about something. I made a run north during the summer and picked up 4 tractors with no problem.  I have went to buy a item one time and didn't like the location after a 1 1/2 drive and called them as a no show. Just be careful and car.try a buddy if possible.

Edited by cootertom, January 27, 2015 - 08:04 AM.

#9 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,795 Thanks
  • 2,192 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 03:24 PM

If i feel comfortable with the conversation we've had , I might let him come to the house. I'm kinda ruff looking so most people are more worried about me. But today you really don't know who your dealing with. at least there is some decency amongst tractor guys. 

#10 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 03:59 PM

I might let him come to the house.

This is the other side of it.  You are the seller.  Do you let people come to your home to purchase or look?

I do.  But what I am selling is pulled out into the drive way, garages shut, sheds shut and locked. 

After talking to them if we hit it off and I feel comfortable with them I then may let them look at what we have in the sheds or talk about the different stuff we have.  Otherwise I stick to the selling. 

• MH81, GTTinkerer, hamman and 6 others have said thanks

#11 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,639 Thanks
  • 1,052 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 04:45 PM

Once I wanted to buy a car off c/l we agreed to meet in the lobby of the police station.Two problems arose ,first he had it listed as a 2002 model but the title said 2000 after I haggled the price down a bunch I asked for his ID to make sure he was the owner and the name didn't match the title,told him to stuff it that I don't buy cars from title jumpers he got a bit huffy about it.Glad I was in the police station or things might have gotten really out of hand.   

• KennyP and bgkid2966 have said thanks

#12 Jack OFFLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 04:46 PM

They found them

http://www.walb.com/...ing-couple-case

• Alc, hamman, bgkid2966 and 1 other said thanks

#13 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 06:11 PM

Hmmm, well I think some of you is paranoid and others may just be crazy.

• bgkid2966 said thank you

#14 cootertom ONLINE  

cootertom
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 717 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 06:35 PM

Hmmm, well I think some of you is paranoid and others may just be crazy.

I'm the crazy one!!  LOL

• Lauber1 and bgkid2966 have said thanks

#15 cootertom ONLINE  

cootertom
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 717 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 06:36 PM

Follow your feelings, if it feels bad or wrong don't do it. Can't trust many people anymore.

Edited by cootertom, January 27, 2015 - 08:07 AM.

• hamman, Lauber1 and bgkid2966 have said thanks