• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Kmac1 OFFLINE  

Kmac1
  • Member No: 62275
  • 521 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 09:27 AM

Looking at buying a Cessna 150. New engine has 100 hours, new paint, original interior not sure how many hours on airframe or what year it is, but will find out and add to post. It was used as a trainer and is the same one I got my license in years ago. He is asking 20k. Any thoughts, opinions, advice from other pilots or just anyone would be appreciated. THX Willie
  • hamman said thank you

#2 Nxt2doc OFFLINE  

Nxt2doc
  • Member No: 66603
  • 623 Thanks
  • 330 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 09:52 AM

What I know about aircraft wouldn't fill a hollow tooth. But I would be leery of anything used as a trainer. It would seem to fall in the same category as a fleet vehicle which would be used and abused. Having said that please temper my comment with the first sentence.

• Kmac1 said thank you

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 09:55 AM

You might give member Cvans a shout-out.  He's a pilot & has flown planes for years.  And I'm no help at all, as I prefer my feet nearer the ground.  :smilewink:

• Kmac1 said thank you

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 10:13 AM

Kinda hard to plow with that, Willie! Guess you could blow the snow away!

• HANKG and Kmac1 have said thanks

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 10:16 AM

Make sure you check the maintenance logs over really well and make sure all inspections and bulletins have been complied with.  The 150 has been around for a long time so there will probably be a lot of Bulletins and mod's issued.  Might be good to get and A&P to give it a good inspection for cracks and stress before you buy it. 

In the Navy we had to do Transfer and acceptance inspections on aircraft, I'm not sure civil aviation requires the same.

• Kmac1 said thank you

#6 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 10:19 AM

Kinda hard to plow with that, Willie! Guess you could blow the snow away!

You can plow one time with it.

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, tinbender7 and 3 others have said thanks

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 11:16 AM

Check the aircraft logs and make sure they are up to date. Damage sustained if any and repairs made. Oil usage, tires, and general upkeep. An oil check for metal content is a good idea also. 

Pull every inspection cover you can get to. Look for corrosion and and signs of damage. A wrinkle in the skin can mean serious problems underneath. As Nxt2doc stated, trainers tend to live a hard life. Oil leaks, even small ones need to be thoroughly investigated. Look closely at the area where the landing gear meets the fuselage  for any sighs of stress. Paying a qualified technician to do a pre-purchase appraisal can save you a lot of money down the line. 

I've not flown a 152 but have been in and around them. If your a larger person or you plan to take larger people along with you it 's going to get crowded as interior room is minimal. The 152 has been around a long time and seems to have a very good track record. 

If you personally know the history of the plane and the present owner as being reputable some of these checks can be skipped. 

I am not a licensed pilot and do not fly anymore. The checks listed are only suggestions and things that I would look into. Again, a pre-purchase inspection by a qualified technician is money well spent.

Good luck with your purchase and be safe. 

Edited by Cvans, January 26, 2015 - 11:18 AM.

• Kmac1 said thank you

#8 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,911 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 12:05 PM

Spend the twenty large on GTS imagine the collection you could have, and if the engine blows on one of them you don't take a dirt nap.

• Kmac1 said thank you

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 12:17 PM

Be careful! Flying is one of the things I never did but always wanted to.
l Iike Chris said Chec k it over very carefully. Those light planes seem to be the ones I read about in the paper too often due to unplanned landings and often fatal. For some strange reason there have been a lot of crashes in Jasper County, ia.?
  • Kmac1 said thank you

#10 WH1055 OFFLINE  

WH1055
  • Member No: 10981
  • 26 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 12:27 PM

My son is a pilot and after through investigation into purchase, maintenance, storage, fuel, insurance, etc. he decided to just rent. He says it was a good decision for him. Good luck.

• Kmac1 said thank you

#11 Little Irish Men ONLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 664 Thanks
  • 386 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 12:28 PM

When you say little plane "Cessna" one thing comes to mine  Buddy Holly , Ritchie Valens and J.P. Richardson " The Big Bopper" February 3 1959 The day the music died.

Good luck ,

Patrick.

• KennyP and Kmac1 have said thanks

#12 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 05:02 PM

My son is a pilot and after through investigation into purchase, maintenance, storage, fuel, insurance, etc. he decided to just rent. He says it was a good decision for him. Good luck.

I totally agree with WH1055 , just rent one , when your not flying it don't cost you a dime,I do that with boats in the summer.

• Kmac1 said thank you

#13 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 07:36 PM

When you say little plane "Cessna" one thing comes to mine Buddy Holly , Ritchie Valens and J.P. Richardson " The Big Bopper" February 3 1959 The day the music died.

Good luck ,

Patrick.

And as was mentioned in the other thread, Rocky Marciano in 1969 just two miles from the airport here in Newton. You really have to stay on top of the maintainence on light planes..

Edited by JD DANNELS, January 26, 2015 - 07:37 PM.

• Little Irish Men and Kmac1 have said thanks

#14 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 10:54 PM

Are there clubs anymore?  I bet there are.  Or even time-share an aircraft?  I used to fly alot, found it better to rent it wet, did not have to mess with repairs, annuals, etc.  Most guys I knew that owned their own would rent them out to the club to help play for them.  As for one used for teaching, I would walk away, there is no way to tell just what has happened to it over it's life.  Good with tools?  Build a kit plane.  just my 2 cents

• Kmac1 said thank you