• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JohnDeere214 OFFLINE  

JohnDeere214

• Member No: 6990
  • 57 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 09:21 AM

OK as promised some pics and info regarding getting deck rebuilt on my 317(or 317.5 since its got the magnum18 engine LOL)

Got the spindles removed by cutting the carriage bolts and then started trying to remove the pulleys.  The one on the left(non-discharge side) came off the spinde easily.  the right one would not budge.  Ended up taking them to my friends house(he has an enclosed garage and a big vise LOL).  After applying some heat the double pulley(powerflow) came off the spindle.  Lastly, the center drive pulley, was a BEAR to get off.  Soaked for days at a time with PB Blaster, used heat, etc could not get it to budge.  Finally after several tries was able to get spindle out of housing, with upper bearing and pulley still on spindle.

Again was able to get some help and got spindle pressed out of pulley, shearing the key LENGTHWISE in the process.  Had to cut new keyway in spindle.

Finally was able to rebuild spindles, using bearings from O'reilly AutoParts.  Local dealer wanted 11.75 each for bearings, got these for 3.79 hopefully they will last.  Can post part number later if anyone wants the info.

End of last week got deck stripped down and had hole repaired.  Hole appeared to be where Idler spring should attach to deck.  Looks like when it broke off, Idler spring was attached to spindle housing.  Right now planning on making a bracket to hold Idler spring and priming and painting deck as weather allows.

P1220285_zps291ed148.jpg

P1220292_zps4c4ffa15.jpg

Updates to follow................

• Trav1s and Gabriel have said thanks

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 11:18 AM

Rebuilding a deck is a whole lot cheaper than replacing one.  The JD yellow is real expensive paint.  I try to keep the deck on my JD F525 washed out after each use.  I have a pole set in the ground at about a 25° angle with a hand winch at shoulder height and a pulley at the top.  I drive the mower up under the lowered cable and hook it on the center carrier roller.  Raise it up till it hits the mower frame.  That is high enough I can lay down on the grass with the pressure washer wand and really clean things out good.  Run the mower for a minute or two to get rid of any water, then grease it good to push any water out of the bearings.

That blue wrench will solve a lot of problems.  Can also create some!

#3 JohnDeere214 OFFLINE  

JohnDeere214

• 57 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 10:33 AM

Finally got some time and fairly warm weather this morning and got back to the deck.  Knocked off as much of the rust as I could with a 3m pad on a drill.  During this process found another pin hole near the spindle mount on discharge side.  Dont really want to spend another 40 bucks on welding, so probably will go the JB Weld route.  May get it welded next year on keep my eyes open for a better deck as this one has several thin spots on top of the deck.

Then sprayed it with Rustoleum Rust preventer(thought it was a rust converter when I bought it  DOH) had plenty of runs and thin spots due to the wind that kicked up but got pretty good coverage.  Gonna let it set now for at least a week, another cold spell coming in then will hit it a coat of regular Rustoleum primer.

Pics coming soon..........

• KennyP and Gabriel have said thanks

#4 JohnDeere214 OFFLINE  

JohnDeere214

• 57 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted February 14, 2015 - 03:21 PM

Heres the pics as promised..............

Rustoleum Rust preventer/converter

P2100296_zpsa2a34c15.jpg

And pics of the deck after application.............

P2100297_zps8a687d28.jpg

P2100298_zpsd90168d1.jpg

Was hoping  to give it a shot of primer today but a little too cool and wind is really kicking up with another cold front on the way so it will have more time to cure before it gets any more work on it.......

• Gabriel said thank you

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,669 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 06:12 AM

Just remember with the Rust Reformer to let that set 24 hrs. before covering it.

• JohnDeere214 said thank you

#6 JohnDeere214 OFFLINE  

JohnDeere214

• 57 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 08:23 PM

Just remember with the Rust Reformer to let that set 24 hrs. before covering it.

Yea its gonna have at least another week I think due to the weather, dont see it warming up any time soon!!!