2 replies to this topic

#1 MountainMichael OFFLINE  

MountainMichael
  • Member No: 61630
  • 167 Thanks
  • 81 posts

Posted January 25, 2015 - 06:25 PM

1968 Sears Super 12 front ball bearing conversion:

This covers the wheels I selected for the 4.00-8 Deestone 3 rib tires.  You can see my Tire Changing technique here: http://gardentractor...ne/#entry536502

Next a link to the product I bought in ebay.  I emailed the guy in advance and learned that the wheels are supposedly rated to 750 pounds each.  While expensive, I decided to do this instead of the wheel barrow wheels that are rated at 200 pounds each.  Not sure they are that much better; it's just how my decision process went.  Linky:

http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

So how much adaptation do they take?  Not a lot, really and a nice bonus surprise ending for us Super owners!  Ya' probably know where that's going.

Anyway, if placing the wheels on with the valve stem and grease zerk inboard for Super tractors, the hex of the zerk wants to drag on the steel sleeve of the tractor's inner dust cover.  The first step for that is to turn the zerk hexes to best rotation for clearance.  To start with, both had points of the hex pointing up - which is not optimal for clearance:

Grease zirq with point up.jpg

Take a 9/32" socket and tighten it just a bit so that the flat is level.  My toaster wasn't feeling well so it made this pic blurry.  It's old and cranky like me. 

Grease Zirq with flat level.jpg

Not sure what the variance is, but the left front wheel required more end play.  I could've removed the inner spacer washer Sears has in there but that would have aggravated zerk clearance. 

Here is the spacer I used for more end play on the LF:

LF Wheel end play spacer added.jpg

Then on the RF, after leveling the grease zerk hex and filing it some, there was still interference.  So I took three .020" spring steel tempered shims (3/4 ID of course) and moved the RF wheel out a bit.  Clearance obtained. 

RF spring steel 020 spacers.jpg

And that in turn required a bit more end play on this side done just as the other was done.  No pic of that.  Sorry.

And now the cherry on the cake.  For us Super owners, the baby moon wheel covers fit the ebay wheels!  Albeit a bit loosely.  I took each wheel cover over to a hardwood bench and used a body hammer to tap the 4 clip locations per side out until they were sufficiently tight.  Tip:  Because of the paint or powder coating, they will never feel tight going ON.  I stopped when they were tight coming OFF.  Ya' know what I mean; the scraping screeching noise of the clips and resistance to a 'pry-driver' :D means they won't be falling off.  

Earlyheimers and all that, since the wheel covers are staying on, I used a Sharpie to mark the LF wheel under the wheel cover "REVERSE THREADS" so I don't forget that again.  

LF of tractor with Deestone 3 rib tires in place.  Looks a lot more tractor like than the Super go-cart looking tires, no?  

LF View of tractor with wheels and covers on.jpg  

A few washers and that's it?  That's a pretty easy ball bearing conversion if'n ya' ask me.  On the other hand, I don't think this will be as easy on later model tractors with different wheel/bearing retention methods. 

Attached Thumbnails

• LF Wheel with wheel cover in place.jpg

Edited by MH81, January 25, 2015 - 06:40 PM.

• MH81, KennyP, tinbender7 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted January 25, 2015 - 06:36 PM

Michael,

Another nice writeup.  I split it out on it's own if that's OK with you.

• chris m and MountainMichael have said thanks

#3 MountainMichael OFFLINE  

MountainMichael
  • Member No: 61630
  • 167 Thanks
  • 81 posts

Posted January 25, 2015 - 07:35 PM

Michael,

Another nice writeup.  I split it out on it's own if that's OK with you.

I think that's a good idea.  Should help make it more searchable. 

Thanks!