MikesRJ

One of the 1st 500!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 462
  • 70 Thanks
  • 118 posts

Posted June 30, 2011 - 11:13 PM

Take a look at this link. This is my 701 which will enter restoration once the Commando 8 is completed for next year's show. Do a compare and let us know.

Tractor Restoration How-To & Tutorials - Wheel Horse Tractor Manual, Owner Manual, Part List, Wiring Diagram, Documentation, Forum and much more - The Wheel Horse Tractor Manual and Documentation Website - My Wheel Horse dot Com

#62 gapper OFFLINE  

gapper

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2232
  • 5 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 08:46 PM

Thanks mike, after looking at your pics of your 701 i do in fact have a 502/702 So glad i got that straight. Now i can get back to work! the parts tractor i got at south mountain will be a great help in getting my tractor together right. Your 701 is looking nice!!

#63 MikesRJ OFFLINE  

MikesRJ

One of the 1st 500!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 70 Thanks
  • 118 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 09:13 PM

The 701 will go into restoration just as soon as the Commando 8 is completed. The 701's been hacked and defiled in her past by previous owners, but will re-rise as good as new soon enough.

#64 gapper OFFLINE  

gapper

• Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 05:20 PM

I started to work on my charger 10 (1969) and found out that i need a starter switch. Anyone have a idea as to where i can get one at a reasonable price? the owners manual part number is 8362, Does that number update to another number? I was told that it needed a starter when i bought it. I put a good starter on it and think that the entire problem is the starter switch. I think i will put a new switch on and see if the old starter is good after all. Thanks for the help.

#65 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 05:37 PM

Partstree has it listed here. It seems to be available, but I don't know that I would call it reasonable. TSC has some universal ignition switches that will work, but the Wheel Horses often have a smaller mounting hole. I bought the Toro switch for mine (different number, similar price) because I didn't want to change the hole size.

#66 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 04:50 AM

The 8362 is a 4-position switch for magneto ignition with a HD circuit for the starter because they do not use a starter solenoid. It also disconnects the voltage regulator in the off position to eliminate battery drain.

You could change it to a more common switch if you add a starter solenoid.

Garry

#67 gapper OFFLINE  

gapper

• Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 05:06 PM

thanks guys, i guess i will replace it with another 8362 switch. I don't want to change it from factory.

#68 gapper OFFLINE  

gapper

• Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted July 18, 2011 - 03:09 PM

WOW!!! What a weekend!! A few posts back i was talking about a 653 i seen sitting for sale in a small town near my cabin. After much thought and the fact that it was still there this weekend when i went to the cabin to spend time with my family, I talked to the man again about the tractor and he was firm on the 200 bucks he wanted for it. I left to think about it a little more. After thinking about it i made my mind up to buy it. Not having my trailer with me i went to a local friend i have in town and got a trailer from him. The trailer was sitting in the weeds and was full of a lot of junk and took some time to get it ready to run down the road. After getting the trailer i headed to the mans home to get the tractor. There was not any room to pull off the road at the mans home so i had to park about one block away. I walked to his house and we made the deal. 200 bucks and i get the tractor with plow and wheel weights and tire chains. The plow and chains were on the tractor but the wheel weights were not. I could not get the tractor to run so i set the weights on the seat and started to roll the tractor to the side walk. One front tire and one back tire ended up being flat but could roll. As it was down hill most of the way to my trailer i thought i would just go on and push it. I had my girl freind along and had her helping(she is a great girl). The tire chains made the rolling tractor bounce a lot and the wheel weights wanted to keep falling off the seat. After getting most of the way to my trailer, I hear someone yelling sir sir, So i look up to see a young man running after us with money in his hand. Now i am thinking, Is this guy going to try and buy this from me before i even get it loaded on my trailer? NOPE!!!! He gets to me and says, I can't let you have that tractor for 200 bucks!!! I said what do you mean??? He tells me that tractor is my dads tractor and the man that sold it to you is not the owner and was not aloud to sell it. Turns out that the man i have been talking to is the brother of the owner and was not aloud to sell it. I told the young man that i did not want any trouble and i would take my money back but i WAS NOT!!! pushing it back up the hill to his house. He said that was fine and before i could say any more there were two more guys there. I guess they got it moved because the next time i went by it was gone. The young man told me that the tractor is indeed for sale but not for 200. They think it is worth 350 and i think they will have it a long time for that price.

#69 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 18, 2011 - 08:58 PM

Wow! It's not just a hobby, It's an adventure! It surely takes all kinds of folks to make the world go 'round, but that's just ignorant! Selling someone else's stuff! Would've been a pretty good deal at $200, but $350 not running is a stretch. I would probably have tried to deal with him...you know, "saved" him the trouble of pushing it back up the hill LOL! I think you did the right thing though. Sorry about the disappointment!
  • 70Blazer said thank you

#70 gapper OFFLINE  

gapper

• Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 10:34 AM

Thanks caseguy, I was a little disappointed, but i think everything that happens has a reason. So i guess the universe has someone else in mind for that tractor. Guess i will keep looking for others.

#71 gapper OFFLINE  

gapper

• Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted September 27, 2011 - 02:51 PM

Now i know why i was not meant to get that tractor. I was meant to get the wagon i bought over labor day weekend. That wagon was only a few miles down the road from where the 653 was sitting out for sale. So i guess it was all meant to be!!! FYI, The tractor is still sitting at the house i seen it at. I guess he is holding fast at wanting 350 for it. I don't think it will sell none to fast at that price.

Edited by gapper, September 28, 2011 - 07:29 PM.

#72 MikesRJ OFFLINE  

MikesRJ

One of the 1st 500!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 70 Thanks
  • 118 posts

Posted September 27, 2011 - 03:50 PM

Now all you have to do is remember to spell "meant" correctly, when you really "mean" it, then everything in the world would be right for you! {smart-arsed chuckle goes here}

#73 gapper OFFLINE  

gapper

• Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted September 28, 2011 - 02:53 PM

darn that "a" lol!!!

#74 70Blazer OFFLINE  

70Blazer

• Member No: 6187
  • 10 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted September 29, 2011 - 09:43 AM

:bigrofl:

#75 gapper OFFLINE  

gapper

• Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted October 17, 2011 - 11:57 AM

YES!!! I got a nice air dryer setup this weekend. Now i will be able to get my sandblaster working without water spraying on my fresh blasted parts. I am going to get this dryer plummed into my system ASAP so i can get back to work on my 702.