caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 01, 2011 - 08:37 PM

BUY IT! I stopped in to look at a 953 locally (same production year). The guy was asking $400 extra firm for and it was gone 2 days later! It was not in perfect condition either. IMHO $200 is a steal especially if it runs, drives, and has all the extras!

#47 gapper OFFLINE  

gapper

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2232
  • 5 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 08:47 AM

Thanks caseguy, I think i will pick her up if she is still for sale. I will need to make a few phone calls to see if she is still sitting out for sale. I should have bought it while i was there. I had my trailer with me and it was empty for the most part. Now i will need to figure in the extra gas and road trip into the cost. I think it will be worth the trip now that i know a little more about this tractor. I would have gotten it if i had known that the motor was the right one. I guess this is part of learning a new hobby and passion!!!

#48 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 06, 2011 - 09:45 PM

Best of luck gapper! Hope it's still there for you! Keep us posted and let's see some pics when you get it in the driveway!

#49 gapper OFFLINE  

gapper

• Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted June 07, 2011 - 07:31 PM

Thanks caseguy. I hope it is still around when i can make the trip. With gas prices these days i am going to hope it is still for sale when i get that way over the 4th of july. If i am ment to have it she will be there. I will try to get some pics of the commando 800 that was given to me a few weeks ago.

#50 gapper OFFLINE  

gapper

• Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 08:15 PM

Well i got started again on my 702(502) I got the block at the machine shop and started to sand blast and paint parts. I am giving the valspar restoration spray cans a try. I can't afford to have someone paint it for me. The powder coat deal fell through for me. I know one thing, the paint job might not be the best but the motor will run like a champ when it is done. All new or machined parts. Should be better than new. How many cans of paint to do a tractor? I need some new front wheel bushings, where is a good place to find them? Thanks for the help guys.

#51 MikesRJ OFFLINE  

MikesRJ

One of the 1st 500!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 462
  • 70 Thanks
  • 118 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 06:52 PM

You'll need alot of paint, probably 8-12 cans before your done. I'd get 5 red and 2 linen to start, then buy what more you need. Bushings: I'd replace them with bearings. Can't remember the OD, but the ID is 3/4" and the width should be at lease 1/2". I'd go with a 3/4" width. Measure yours for OD/ID and buy good quality flange bearings to replace them. Any bearing place will have them, but you need to supply the OD/ID/Width

#52 gapper OFFLINE  

gapper

• Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted June 20, 2011 - 11:46 AM

Thanks mike, i didn't know i could replace the bushings with a bearing. I will do that for sure. I like the idea of haveing bearings in there. I think i will need to get more paint! Mike, will you be at south mountain this weekend? I am going to go and camp out there. I am getting a step van ( truck like a ups van but white in color) from my brother in law to use as a camper. I am looking forward to getting to know more people and seeing lots of tractors.

#53 MikesRJ OFFLINE  

MikesRJ

One of the 1st 500!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 70 Thanks
  • 118 posts

Posted June 20, 2011 - 03:59 PM

I will be there all weekend, as will a few other WH friends of mine. Just look for several red tents at or very near the front entrance to the show area. One of them will have my MikesRJ/RedSquare banner hanging from it.

Just and FYI:
I stated in an earlier post that a company in Massachusetts sells Kohler fuel pump rebuild kits. They now have a flier to go with their webpage for the kits. See below.

Here is the webpage: http://www.maritimed...arts_cellar.htm

Here is the Brochure: http://www.maritimed...LER_ENGINES.pdf

Edited by MikesRJ, June 20, 2011 - 04:09 PM.

#54 gapper OFFLINE  

gapper

• Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted June 20, 2011 - 07:12 PM

I will try to get buy and meet you. I hope to have a running horse of my own to run around but if not i will be on my brother in laws 857 that has a 16 hp kohler mounted in it. I made an offer on a 79 C-101 today and hope i can get it. Keeping my fingers crossed!!! Thanks for the link for the fuel pump rebuild kits.

#55 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 07:55 PM

I also will be at the show this weekend. I'll be sure and look you up Mike! Hope to meet you also gapper! I'll likely be wearing a GTTalk T-shirt.

#56 gapper OFFLINE  

gapper

• Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 07:10 PM

I had a great time at the show!!! It was nice to meet you mike. Not sure if i seen you caseguy. I had a great time but now i am just a little confused. I picked up a parts 702 tractor. After getting home and starting to compair the parts to the one i am restoring, I see there are some parts that are not the same. The one part that i see that is different is the fenders and tool box. My toolbox has two little tabs on it that bolt to the piece that goes around the shifter and up to the upright piece that holds the fuel tank. there is no tabs one the 702 i just bought and no holes in the fenders for support rods. mine has the holes. I seen a 701 fender and toolbox on ebay and it looks like mine. It has the tabs and the support rods on the fenders. The serial numer of my tractor is 62-11934. i guess i have a tractor that is parts of many tractor put together. The belt guard says 502. I am so lost it is not funny. But had a great time at the show!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#57 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 07:33 PM

Serial 62-11840 is a 702
The 62-11934 is a 1962 serial number.
Serial 62-12127 is a 702

A 502 used a recoil start Lauson HT55C-3088

Garry

#58 MikesRJ OFFLINE  

MikesRJ

One of the 1st 500!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 70 Thanks
  • 118 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 10:23 PM

@Gapper, Post a few pictures of what you have and what you're looking at. Perhaps we can un-befuddle you.

As usual the show was a blast. Me and the "Girlie Dog" had a great time, and even let an old friend get a picture of me sitting on his ugly-as-hell horse! He calls this thing the "Yeller Cow". Go figure! One of these years I'm going to do a midnight repaint of this thing and make it RED again.

Posted Image

#59 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 30, 2011 - 06:48 PM

Mike and gapper. Somehow I missed both of you at the show. I even looked...of course there were a lot of distractions LOL. I wrote an article about the show and took about 4 sets of batteries worth of pictures. The article is here. Give it a look over and be sure to check out the link to the pics at the end. Let me know what you think.

#60 MikesRJ OFFLINE  

MikesRJ

One of the 1st 500!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 70 Thanks
  • 118 posts

Posted June 30, 2011 - 11:10 PM

Vwey nicely done CaseGuy. Good job.
  • caseguy said thank you