daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 08, 2011 - 12:41 PM

gapper, :welcome: glad you are here. Hope you find how to post pics soon, would love to see more of your project

#17 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 08, 2011 - 01:19 PM

gapper,:welcometogttalk:

Glad to have you with us.

#18 gapper OFFLINE  

gapper

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2232
  • 5 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted March 08, 2011 - 07:23 PM

Yes i think i will try to find a good weld shop to weld the tank. I think i can drill and tap a new hole. I will need to get a flat bottom 1/4 -20 tap. I have pics of the cracked frame. Will work on getting them posted. I sure wish i had taken pics of my tractor before i started. I will not be able to show before then after pics. Anyone have good ideas for paint? Thanks all.

#19 gapper OFFLINE  

gapper

• Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted March 08, 2011 - 08:46 PM

Here is the pic of the damage to my frame.
Posted Image
:dancingbanana:
Can anyone tell me anything about this ser.#
Posted Image
Anyone ever see a fuel pump like this on a horse before?
Posted Image

Edited by gapper, March 08, 2011 - 09:04 PM.

#20 MikesRJ OFFLINE  

MikesRJ

One of the 1st 500!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 462
  • 70 Thanks
  • 118 posts

Posted March 09, 2011 - 01:55 PM

Not sure, but that looks like a Briggs and Stratton pneumatic pulse pump. Certainly not original. If the original metal-cased fuel pump is still installed you might be able to get a rebuild kit from these folks: Fuel Pump Rebuilding Kits - Then And Now Automotive

E-mail them and ask for what you are looking to rebuild. Sending pictures of the original pump will help them identify the correct kit as well.

#21 gapper OFFLINE  

gapper

• Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted March 09, 2011 - 07:27 PM

Thanks mike, The "original" pump spot on my motor has a plate over it that looks like it belongs there and has a nipple in the middle to hook up the pulse line. The plate is a machined part that someone with machine shop skills could have made. The carb is a carter model N. Maybe someone put a carb off something else on my tractor. At least they did a nice job if that is the case. I think i will let it this way just to be different and the way i found this little girl. Maybe it gives her a little charm. Thanks for the info. Really nice to be able to get info from a group nice people here on GT Talk. Rick

#22 MikesRJ OFFLINE  

MikesRJ

One of the 1st 500!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 70 Thanks
  • 118 posts

Posted March 09, 2011 - 09:04 PM

The carter N carburetor is correct for that engine, I believe you have a K141/K161/K181 there. Not much of the picture to go by so it's a guess at best. Here are the manuals for them, the parts list depends on which model you have.

Owners Manual: http://www.mywheelho...93_f_all_OM.pdf
Service Manual: http://www.mywheelho..._tp_2379_SM.pdf

#23 gapper OFFLINE  

gapper

• Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted March 10, 2011 - 03:03 PM

Yes it is a K161. Thanks for the links. They will be very helpfull. I did more cleaning of parts today and after close inspection of the plate for the pulse line to the fuel pump must have been made at a home machine shop. The part is made very well but i think it was someones way of getting around buying a new stock fuel pump. I am going to try and run the motor with the pulse pump and see how that works out. I was able to find a rebuild kit for that pump.It's a AUTOPULSE MODEL 3021. Thanks for the continueing help. Rick

#24 MikesRJ OFFLINE  

MikesRJ

One of the 1st 500!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 70 Thanks
  • 118 posts

Posted March 10, 2011 - 05:21 PM

Here's the parts manual for the K161:

K161 Parts List:
http://www.mywheelho...P_TP-1053-A.pdf

Along with the second-generation Owners and Service Manuals:
http://www.mywheelho...181_1968-OM.pdf
http://www.mywheelho...1_1972-SM-2.pdf
  • gapper said thank you

#25 gapper OFFLINE  

gapper

• Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted March 10, 2011 - 08:13 PM

Thanks for the additional links, They all will be a great help! Mike, can i ask what paint you used for your tractor. Some are telling me that the IH red is very close to wheel horse apple red. I found a paint code for PPG paint (wheel horse red 72034) I also got a match for the off white for the wheels PPG# 83461-A. I know the white is acrylic enamel not sure about the red. I will find out asap. Is acrylic enamel paint a good paint to use. I want something that will not fade in the sun. Thanks again, Rick

#26 SKunkle OFFLINE  

SKunkle

• Member No: 750
  • 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted March 28, 2011 - 06:46 PM

If you need a gas tank I have one from a 502. Here are some pics from my 701. hopefully they help.152.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 020.jpg
  • 023.jpg
  • 018.jpg
  • 030.jpg

#27 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted March 29, 2011 - 09:01 PM

Thanks for the additional links, They all will be a great help! Mike, can i ask what paint you used for your tractor. Some are telling me that the IH red is very close to wheel horse apple red. I found a paint code for PPG paint (wheel horse red 72034) I also got a match for the off white for the wheels PPG# 83461-A. I know the white is acrylic enamel not sure about the red. I will find out asap. Is acrylic enamel paint a good paint to use. I want something that will not fade in the sun. Thanks again, Rick

DO NOT use Valspar i tried an it does not flow. i had a really har time with it. i went to my local case ih dealier an got there rough red with hardner its the same as the old ih read. with the seering wheel, seat, oil bath, letters and gas not original but i like it, valspar amond but in a spray can.

#28 MikesRJ OFFLINE  

MikesRJ

One of the 1st 500!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 70 Thanks
  • 118 posts

Posted March 30, 2011 - 05:51 AM

If you tried Valspar and it "didn't flow", you weren't following the directions on the can. I panted my entire RJ with Valspar Restoration Series paint, and i all the restorations I've done over the years you're not likely to find a better paint out of a spray can anywhere.

DO NOT use Valspar i tried an it does not flow. i had a really har time with it. i went to my local case ih dealier an got there rough red with hardner its the same as the old ih read. with the seering wheel, seat, oil bath, letters and gas not original but i like it, valspar amond but in a spray can.

#29 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted March 30, 2011 - 10:47 PM

If you tried Valspar and it "didn't flow", you weren't following the directions on the can. I panted my entire RJ with Valspar Restoration Series paint, and i all the restorations I've done over the years you're not likely to find a better paint out of a spray can anywhere.

i tried regular valspar. what kind of thinner did you use mike?

#30 MikesRJ OFFLINE  

MikesRJ

One of the 1st 500!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 70 Thanks
  • 118 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 11:20 AM

Regular Valspar is also of very high quality. As hard as this might be to believe, my Rj was painted entirely with rattle-cans. But, I have tried both Valspar's using HVLP. I used Valspar's thinner and hardener, under the correct temperature and humidity suggestions, and had no issue with the flow or results. In fact I was quite impressed with the results, especially considering the relatively low price compared with automotive paints. One rule of thumb I've always followed, never mix different manufacturers (paints, thinners, hardeners, primers, etc.) products unless you have extensively tested their comparability yourself.