21 replies to this topic

#16 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 922 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted January 25, 2015 - 06:55 PM

I think it is cool. If it were near me I'd be interested in it for the engine for a large frame repower. Might be a fun project.

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#17 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted January 25, 2015 - 09:23 PM

I think it is cool. If it were near me I'd be interested in it for the engine for a large frame repower. Might be a fun project.

That would be an interesting project. I have thought about repowering an engineless 1886 I have sitting around with a Ford V4. Saab used that engine a number of years ago and high wheel ag sprayers around here also have used them. A Honda Civic radiator will fit with no modification to the Bolens hood. (And for those of you that might cringe at the thought, this particular 1886 was mostly parted out when I got it.)

• Husky and blackjackjakexxix have said thanks

#18 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 922 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 12:34 PM

That would be an interesting project. I have thought about repowering an engineless 1886 I have sitting around with a Ford V4. Saab used that engine a number of years ago and high wheel ag sprayers around here also have used them. A Honda Civic radiator will fit with no modification to the Bolens hood. (And for those of you that might cringe at the thought, this particular 1886 was mostly parted out when I got it.)

So a v4 would just look really neat. I guess a few issues would be the additional weight up front on the axle and spindles and the other issue would be too much power for the hydro. I believe that eaton12 had an internal pressure bypass which may work as a safety. The thought of this type of repower is just interesting to me. I've got a parts 1886 out back too.

• LPBolens said thank you

#19 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,141 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 02:13 PM

When a re-power ends up with an oversize motor, it does not mean one has to use all available power.  Re-set the throttle control to where it only opens up about 2/3 or 3/4 throttle and that is the end of available power.  Would love to see a V4 in a GT.  I do't have either but it sure sound interesting.

• OldBuzzard said thank you

#20 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 442 Thanks
  • 251 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 11:07 PM

So on an off topic kind of.  My cousin repowered a D6 cat with a 427 chev truck engine with 4 spd tranny.  Keeps trans in 2nd so lots of torque starts easier that the diesel.  Made a good cheap farm cat.

• Alc said thank you

#21 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 04:17 AM

When a re-power ends up with an oversize motor, it does not mean one has to use all available power.  Re-set the throttle control to where it only opens up about 2/3 or 3/4 throttle and that is the end of available power.  Would love to see a V4 in a GT.  I do't have either but it sure sound interesting.

:ditto:

I looked at the specs for that engine, and it's rated anywhere from 45 to 56 Hp, at RPMs in the 5100 to 5700 range.

Rev limit it to the standard 3600 that most of the GT engines run at, and it probably doesn't put out much more power than a big Kohler twin.

Even if you were getting 40 Hp or so, it wouldn't do you any good as you would lose traction long before you could use all the power anyway.

Oh a V-4?  How about a V-6?

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_3924.JPG

Edited by OldBuzzard, January 28, 2015 - 04:20 AM.

• LPBolens, Alc and blackjackjakexxix have said thanks

#22 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 235 Thanks
  • 196 posts

Posted January 29, 2015 - 01:51 AM

I don't know about V4's, but if you look up Bungartz tractors they used flat 4 VW engines in them, seen a couple a time or two.

• LPBolens and Alc have said thanks