Garden Tractor Forums banner

Blizzard in Southern New England Tuesday

6K views 61 replies 28 participants last post by  glgrumpy 
#1 ·
We had slushy snow yesterday, now we may get 1' to 2' starting midday tomorrow and going through Tuesday. We have had very little snow up until last Friday. Now we are going to catch it. Today will be preparing the equipment that I should have done in October. I also will get gas and diesel for my tractors and generators. Good Luck to everyone. Rick

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Not sure what you folks will be into, BUT! I went to out work on the Jake and nearly had to hang onto the tractor. Wind is gusting over 30MPH here today! So all you folks East, batten down the hatches!

#12 ·
We are now getting the 2 to 4" stuff here in IN. Not sure it is gonna be that big yet, seems to move the amount farther south each time they tell about it. Supposed to snow all day today and into the night some. I have to work tonight (3) and will have to move it in AM or when I get up then. All this usually misses us and angles up to the East then and Grows! Good Luck!

#13 ·
Weather update from SW Iowa: Yesterday afternoon. High of 52°, very light breeze, partly sunny. Today: High of 39° at 11:00am. Down to 35° at 1:45 pm. Windy, 25 - 30 out of the NW. Cold. Had rain & snow mixed the morning. No accumulation. Just made the ground wet. Tomorrow talking a high of 55° again. Crazy Iowa Weather.

#14 ·
I'm ready, been outside making sure everything is in order. charging up the battery on the 195. finally get to play with the big snowblower and see how the whole setup works in snow. I'm not sure what we're getting in the the northwest corner, I haven't checked yet. Even when they say we're getting less, due to the elevation I'm at (940' above sea level), we always get more than what's projected around us. I average 2" more than the surrounded lower towns. I even put the snows on the truck and put the 300#steel plate in the bed over the wheels. BRING IT ON!!

Tom

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've heard 2 - 3 feet is possible in my area, closer to Providence, RI than Boston. Wife and I usually use the little electric snow blower, Snow Joe, to make a path to the shed; but this time I took the vinyl cab off and put it on the sun porch ( enclosed) and am leaving the Husqvarna GTH2448T with the Agri Fab snow blower beside the house wrapped in a blue tarp. Neither of us can trek through snow that deep anymore.

When the storm's over We'll unwrap it and pop the cab back on. Got a full tank of gas, and 10 more gallons, so I'm as ready as I can be. Hope we don't lose power. I sold the 7500 watt generator this past fall, because I thought we'd be in TX by now. Ohh well.. lol

#17 ·
I was just talking to abc112guy the other day and he was wishing for snow so he could go out and play. I am boing to kick him in the shin when I see him next !!!! I could go all winter without snow.

Now on the other hand I will get some seat time :D and the snow will help the sap production in two months :thumbs: so this may not be to bad.

Pete

#18 ·
IN again! coming down pretty big and hard, kinda odd, seems like blowing backwards from usual way. Had to run the wife's car up the steep drive, she couldn't. Even took Me 3 times to go to top and in garage. It's pretty wet/slick stuff. I went and got gas in truck too while out,used 4 wheel for that. Already can't see where we've been in yard, filled in about 1 hr later. I could have been out playing in it, but just gonna wait till it's done. Tommorrow now for Me! 2 to 3 FEET?? Ugh! Would put IN down for a week!

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
I spent the day outside preparing for the snow. I cleared the 2000s' parking area. I moved the 4500 into the woods to get it out of the way. I put chains and wheelweights on the 3310 but only have a make shift plow on it(came with it). Dug out the generator but couldn't get the van started that I keep it in. I have an old minivan that I park in the woods. When I want to run the generator, I park the van near the house and have the generator in the back of it. It runs fine with just the vent windows open so I have less noise and less chance of it walking away.

With my back wore out and everything covered, I went out to fill the gerry cans. Gas was $2.15 per gallon and diesel was $3.10 per gallon. $75 dolars to fill 6 cans. Stopped at the store for steaks on sale and cold cuts for if the power does go out. Had my son bring in 8 wheelbarrows of firewood. We are ready for this storm. Now they are talking about 20" to 25" by Wednesday night. They say there might be another storm by the weekend.

BE PREPARED Good Luck, Rick

BTW tomorrow is the 37th anniversary of my relearning to walk, in Walter Reed Army Medical Center. Storm Larry that dumped 2' to 3' on New England was about that time.

#22 ·
haven't seen any snow yet this year. We sure could use the moisture here too. Supposed to get to 60 f. tomorrow, 70 f. by Wednesday. All you folks back north east, please take care and stay safe. I'm a little jealous of the seat time, but.....
I didn't get to put my cab on the tractor so, it will probably be miserable seat time. The wind will be gusting and temps below zero are forecast for later. Hurry up spring. I hope that you do get some percipitation, we've had plenty of rain so far. Good Luck, Rick

#25 ·
Well, the IN storm was a NON-storm for me. Was light,just kinda blew around and drifted some. Got to work fine on roads, no plows, but drove 50 most of way. Today went out and pushed with Deere and was light and easy, and where I cleaned down to pavement was melting before I was done. What a Wimpy Snow Storm!

#26 ·
Good luck to all my NE brothers...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.