Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Sandblast cabinets, let's talk about them.

blast cabinet sandblaster sandblast cabinet

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,664 Thanks
  • 39,046 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 03:40 PM

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#32 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,404 Thanks
  • 707 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 03:57 PM

I figured it is time to update the thread. With mom's passing I haven't had much time to be on here. We did start working in the shop again last weekend and cleaned some stuff up to make room for the new sandblast cabinet I ordered. I ended up spending more on it than I originally planned but the more I thought about it, if you are going to spend the money on one I may as well get one larger than we should need. I also don't have the time or initiative to build our own right now.
We went with the TP Tools 979 cabinet. I had ordered it on Saturday and confirmed everything on Monday with them to have it shipped to my work since we have a loading dock there. Made payment and got a notification that the order was ready for shipment. It shipped out Tuesday and was at my work Wednesday through Ward trucking. I took the pickup and trailer to work on Thursday and brought it home after work. We managed to get it unloaded and all setup Thursday night and even blasted our first part which was the main frame for the Bolens Wizard. Took about 10 minutes to blast it clean. 
We currently have the 50 lbs of media that came with the cabinet in it. I did bring home two 50 lb bags of Black Beauty from work in medium grit to try. Also got the wheel kit so we can move it around in the shop if need be. Plus it will be nice to be able to roll it outside when the weather gets nice. However the cabinet is too short and hard on my back. Right now we put it up on 6" x 6" blocks which makes it much more comfortable to use. I am going to get some wood to block the casters down to raise it the same amount and still have it on wheels.
It's already been the best investment I have ever made for the shop other than the welder. This is the most the air compressor has had to work since I got that put together. I am going to start another thread on it to see what the best way to run it would be. It is able to build pressure and hit the shut off while blasting which is good I guess. Just don't want to be running the compressor too much. Here are some pics.

Glad you got it , IMO you won't be disappointed in TP Tools quality, couple things , rotate the tips as suggested, get the HEPA filter kit till you vent it outside, a lot of this old stuff we work on is probably lead base paint. And if you stick with TP's Media , try their "fast cut max" a lot quicker removal of paint, rust, etc. And way less dust than the "skat majic" that came with the unit & last keep spare sight glass tearaways handy once they're distorted by the media you are blind, good luck and again IMO, you hit a home run in your blast cabinet choice.
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#33 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,053 Thanks
  • 2,093 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 04:52 PM

Good choice on the cabinet, George!  :thumbs:

You will not regret buying it.

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#34 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

• Member No: 61995
  • 887 Thanks
  • 545 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 05:13 PM

You'll love the sandblaster. We have one at work. I think they are all too short. They are hard on my back, too. Keep the sight glass clean. If your tear away starts to go stop and change it. It doesn't take long to abrade your glass and then you are spending more time and money. Put a milk crate or something inside your cabinet to sit parts on. It makes life a little easier.

Keep your air dry. Add a wet tank and a second filter if you're in a high humidity area. Blisters consume a tremendous amount of air. If your compressor is running a lot try and add an extra tank in line for more stored volume.
  • NUTNDUN, sacsr and TomLGT195 have said thanks

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted March 14, 2015 - 08:05 PM

So far the sandblaster has been a terrific investment. Made short work of the Wizard Walk Behind and I am sure it will work great on many other projects in the near future. I do want to get a water filter. So far the air compressor has done a good job and we haven't had any moisture problems yet but with how humid it gets here in the summer time I do want to get water filter. The line does have a water separator at the regulator but it should still have a dedicated water filter.

#36 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,739 Thanks
  • 2,158 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 06:33 AM

I agree to that , never hurts to have a little extra protection.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blast cabinet, sandblaster, sandblast cabinet