Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Sandblast cabinets, let's talk about them.

blast cabinet sandblaster sandblast cabinet

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • Member No: 28357
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 09:00 PM

Well, I bought the one from harbor freight because I didn't want to try and fab one. I read through all of the reviews on the site before I bought it. There are a lot of good ideas from some guys that sandblast more regularly than I do. For instance, make sure to take that tape and just use it, but also use your caulk gun and go over every bolt and joint even before you piece it together. I did and I don't have any leaks from it. On another one, one guy said to build a shop vac cyclone separator. I just picked up a cheap one that you mount to a 5 gallon bucket and I keep my shop vacc hooked to it while using it. Another little thing I did was swap out the light inside. It took me about 4 hours to glue it all together. At the shops that I have worked at and my home, I use coal slag. I highly recommend it. I do agree that the almond shells are also another good alternative. Oh, make sure to have a moisture trap inline, or there will be clogging after your "sand" gets moisture laden.

I did also see a few guys that used 55 gallon drums and plywood to make very nice sandblaster cabinets. I would also look into those. I personally did a bunch of research and cost/time benefit analysis before I settled on how I was going to get/make/modify one.

Oh, lastly, they will drink a compressor dry in no time if you don't have one that is big enough.
  • NUTNDUN, GTTinkerer, sacsr and 1 other said thanks

#17 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,485 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 09:31 PM

Mike, what is this cyclone vac seperator thing you have?  Have a brand or link I can see what that is?  Maybe that is what I need to keep the shop vac clean??  I'm not aware of a cheap/small one like that.

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#18 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 10:06 PM

Mike, what is this cyclone vac seperator thing you have?  Have a brand or link I can see what that is?  Maybe that is what I need to keep the shop vac clean??  I'm not aware of a cheap/small one like that.

GL I built one a few years ago & they work great. Here is a link on YouTube to give you some ideas...a good little project & functional.

https://www.youtube....e vac seperator

• NUTNDUN, michael.kitko and Jazz have said thanks

#19 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 10:11 PM

It is a Dust Deputy DIY. I personally found one for 49.95 plus shipping on Amazon and unfortunately I went to buy another and found that it is now 79.95 from the same shop. Anyways, it works wonderfully.

http://www.oneida-ai...0-1E06240A24A4}

• NUTNDUN, TomLGT195, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#20 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 10:13 PM

GL I built one a few years ago & they work great. Here is a link on YouTube to give you some ideas...a good little project & functional.

https://www.youtube....e vac seperator

I was going to build one too, but again, I never seem to have enough time. So, I splurged and just got one.

• NUTNDUN and Sawdust have said thanks

#21 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,441 Thanks
  • 953 posts

Posted January 27, 2015 - 08:02 AM

That is some interesting info on dust collecting.. I just may have to make one....wife complains how much dust I get in the shop from grinding...I suggested she bring the big feather duster in the garage.  

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#22 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,485 posts

Posted January 27, 2015 - 04:07 PM

That cyclone thing is maybe JUST what I should get.  Interesting link to that. I see they offer a complete kit, pail and all with clear funnel. THEN, later they say the black one is less static problems, yet don't see that in a kit??? Also the links for You-tube show many others and some homemade gadgets. Even simple as a pop-bottle on a couple!  Yep! Think this is the answer for the clogging problem I'm having on my vac. Thanks for the links and ideas.

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#23 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,516 Thanks
  • 733 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 08:35 PM

After tearing down the Western Auto Wizard and realizing the whole thing could be sandblasted in a cabinet provided it was large enough I have got the bug to see about getting one. I have posted before that I have wanted one but still have yet to follow through on that want.

I have heard some mention the sandblast cabinets from TP tools. They have their cabinets listed on ebay also which is where I would buy from giving a little credit to the site. Here is the one I am looking at: http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I know the price isn't cheap but I am also looking more at the long term investment and how much we could use it. Are there any other brands that you would recommend or if you have any experience with the TP Tools sandblast cabinets I would love to hear your experience.

Here's mine a TP tool 966 had it for couple years now, they make them at their place in Canfield ,OH.
GREAT tool ,GREAT people ,GREAT service ,plus parts availability and support, HIGHLY recommend. The Texas Blaster is for the big stuff that won't fit in the cabinet. You'll need big air as well. I will put a plug in for my Polar Air also, running out of room so they offer the big 2 stage pump w/5hp motor and the smaller 60 gal. tank has the nice kick into single stage so it will continue to run not on-off when it gets caught up.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20150222_200941_hdr.jpg
  • IMG_20150222_201034_hdr.jpg
  • IMG_20150222_201019_hdr.jpg
  • IMG_20150222_201829_hdr.jpg
  • IMG_20150222_201342_hdr.jpg
  • IMG_20150222_201100_hdr.jpg

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, February 22, 2015 - 10:03 PM.

• NUTNDUN, olcowhand and sacsr have said thanks

#24 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted February 25, 2015 - 06:18 PM

I think I have enough compressor. The only thing I may need to do is swap out the two stage two cylinder for a single stage two cylinder compressor but even with the way it sits I think I would be alright. I know this is going to bring up an old topic and trigger the "What's an air compressor" jokes but I had posted a thread about an air compressor to run a sandblast cabinet. It turned in to this 21 page thread about an air compressor. I gotta admit it was one of the best investments I had ever made and it is still going as strong as it ever has.

In the link I posted I linked it to the post where we found the compressor we currently have and it cuts out about 2 pages of the thread.

you have that backwards. KEEP the 2 stage! They produce a lot more CFMs of air than a similar size single stage.

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#25 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted February 25, 2015 - 06:20 PM

watch the local farm sales and company "going outta business" auctions. You may get one cheaper than the cost of materials to build one.

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#26 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted February 26, 2015 - 08:00 PM

Just ordered the blast cabinet from Harbor Freight.

Used my wife's debit card...It's for my birthday....shhhhhh

• NUTNDUN, sacsr and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#27 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 03:20 PM

I figured it is time to update the thread. With mom's passing I haven't had much time to be on here. We did start working in the shop again last weekend and cleaned some stuff up to make room for the new sandblast cabinet I ordered. I ended up spending more on it than I originally planned but the more I thought about it, if you are going to spend the money on one I may as well get one larger than we should need. I also don't have the time or initiative to build our own right now.

We went with the TP Tools 979 cabinet. I had ordered it on Saturday and confirmed everything on Monday with them to have it shipped to my work since we have a loading dock there. Made payment and got a notification that the order was ready for shipment. It shipped out Tuesday and was at my work Wednesday through Ward trucking. I took the pickup and trailer to work on Thursday and brought it home after work. We managed to get it unloaded and all setup Thursday night and even blasted our first part which was the main frame for the Bolens Wizard. Took about 10 minutes to blast it clean. 

We currently have the 50 lbs of media that came with the cabinet in it. I did bring home two 50 lb bags of Black Beauty from work in medium grit to try. Also got the wheel kit so we can move it around in the shop if need be. Plus it will be nice to be able to roll it outside when the weather gets nice. However the cabinet is too short and hard on my back. Right now we put it up on 6" x 6" blocks which makes it much more comfortable to use. I am going to get some wood to block the casters down to raise it the same amount and still have it on wheels.

It's already been the best investment I have ever made for the shop other than the welder. This is the most the air compressor has had to work since I got that put together. I am going to start another thread on it to see what the best way to run it would be. It is able to build pressure and hit the shut off while blasting which is good I guess. Just don't want to be running the compressor too much. Here are some pics.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0462.JPG
  • DSC_0463.JPG
  • DSC_0464.JPG

• olcowhand, MH81, Bruce Dorsi and 3 others have said thanks

#28 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 03:22 PM

The dust collector seems to do a pretty good job. I had seen the cyclone collection system mentioned somewhere else and I think it would be ideal to put between the cabinet and the main vacuum. I think eventually we will exhaust it outside. I want to see how much dust we get around the area first to see if it warrants venting outside.

• Cat385B said thank you

#29 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 03:26 PM

Sure does beat a wire brush, I will give you that.
We never had a cabinet, but the big tractors really didnt lend themselves toward fitting in one anyways.
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#30 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,756 Thanks
  • 8,924 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 03:26 PM

I'm putting one of those on my Christmas list.

• NUTNDUN said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blast cabinet, sandblaster, sandblast cabinet