Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Sandblast cabinets, let's talk about them.

blast cabinet sandblaster sandblast cabinet

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 09:48 PM

After tearing down the Western Auto Wizard and realizing the whole thing could be sandblasted in a cabinet provided it was large enough I have got the bug to see about getting one. I have posted before that I have wanted one but still have yet to follow through on that want.

I have heard some mention the sandblast cabinets from TP tools. They have their cabinets listed on ebay also which is where I would buy from giving a little credit to the site. Here is the one I am looking at: http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I know the price isn't cheap but I am also looking more at the long term investment and how much we could use it. Are there any other brands that you would recommend or if you have any experience with the TP Tools sandblast cabinets I would love to hear your experience.

• TomLGT195 and panzersarebest have said thanks

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,602 Thanks
  • 3,906 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 10:07 PM

Takes a lot of air to run a blast cabinet.  Since there is really not much to them the'd be easy to make.  A simple box with a door, a window, and hopper bottom and your mostly set.  I'd build one and use the savings to buy a bigger compressor if you don't already have one big enough. 

I have a small bench top model that works well but seldom use it.  Since I can't stand for long periods its easier for me to take stuff to the blaster guy in town and have him blast it for me. His equipment allows him to blast through a project so quickly its not expensive at all. 

• NUTNDUN, tinbender7, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 10:12 PM

We had a local guy that did sandblasting but has recently quit doing it. It was a side business for him as the primary business was tombstones. I have thought about building one even out of wood. Till I would figure out all the measurements needed, along with the hardware like the foot pedal, nozzle and vacuum I don't know how much further ahead I would be.

• Lauber1 said thank you

#4 cootertom ONLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 717 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 10:30 PM

They say 7 cfm to run this cabinet. In real life it will be more to the 11 or 12 cfm. I have a small table top blaster with a small nozzle that is rated for 5  cfm output to run it. I have two 5 hp 30 gallon compressors hooked together to run it and each has a 6.8 cfm. I use crushed walnut shell to prep old bass lures and it works it out fairly well. Just make sure you have enough compressor to run it or you will be disappointed. 

Tommy

• NUTNDUN, sacsr and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 10:39 PM

I think I have enough compressor. The only thing I may need to do is swap out the two stage two cylinder for a single stage two cylinder compressor but even with the way it sits I think I would be alright. I know this is going to bring up an old topic and trigger the "What's an air compressor" jokes but I had posted a thread about an air compressor to run a sandblast cabinet. It turned in to this 21 page thread about an air compressor. I gotta admit it was one of the best investments I had ever made and it is still going as strong as it ever has.

In the link I posted I linked it to the post where we found the compressor we currently have and it cuts out about 2 pages of the thread.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#6 panzersarebest OFFLINE  

panzersarebest
  • Member No: 36584
  • 523 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 11:21 PM

My brother has the tp skatblast cabinet and loves it. I have used his a couple times and I really like it.
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#7 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 11:32 PM

We had a local guy that did sandblasting but has recently quit doing it. It was a side business for him as the primary business was tombstones. I have thought about building one even out of wood. Till I would figure out all the measurements needed, along with the hardware like the foot pedal, nozzle and vacuum I don't know how much further ahead I would be.

I build my cabinet out of wood, with a steel hopper on the bottom and a slide gate to empty it. I use a pressure pot with a hand valve that goes though a hole in the front. I have angle iron rings with a rubber sandwiched to the front wall to put my hands though. I just use long rubber chemical gloves instead for one fastened to the cabinet. My front folds down, and the glass framed top hinges up. These is a fan mounted on top with a 5" pipe going though the wall to get the dust out of the cabinet. Inside is a flat expanded metal top that I blast the parts on. There are also 3 flood lites mount inside, two in the top pointing down, and another at the side pointing across. My compressor is a 3 cylinder single stage that I built from an old 80 gal. I use the single as it don't make as much water for the separator which is mounted on the blaster. I could get a complete V-8 engine inside the cabinet if I had the need to. I only run the system at 80lbs max, so the compressor has plenty of air. In blasting you don't really need pressure as much as you need the volume. It will blast about an hour on 80# of sand in the pot.

• NUTNDUN, Bruce Dorsi, sacsr and 3 others have said thanks

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,528 posts

Posted January 25, 2015 - 12:26 AM

This one from HF is on sale for $180   http://www.harborfre...inet-68893.html  . I've seen them on CL for under $100. I have a large pressure pot and the small table top blaster. I use them out side on a breezy day and wear a good safety breather mask. The dust can have you coughing for days.

I used to buy close to top of the line tools but have found that the cheaper are okay for the occassional work that I do. Whatever you decide, be very carefull. Good Luck, Rick

• NUTNDUN, HANKG and Sawdust have said thanks

#9 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 25, 2015 - 01:28 AM

Another post on these!!!   I built the TP blaster from plywood that they have plans for. I used angle iron for legs, now they show more wood in pix for that. I used their components, they have a kit for it. I Did later make the window come open on hinges to put the plastics on and sometimes to put a part in, but use side door mostly. I also used expanded metal for the floor and sheet metal on the back and left side to keep wear down. It IS wearing into wood, but has lasted years so far. I have 6 hp 80 gal presser and it runs constant when blasting, I have to let it rest some times on bigger parts.  I made mine the full 48" width of the plywood, tho plans show smaller. Didn't need anymore wood to do that. Oh, yeah, also cut the window 1 x 3 witch is bigger then also. Two spots, one each way for a light, flourescents don't light enough. Things wear out, tips, gun parts, plastic over glass inside, even the hoses and pick-up tube have all been replaced at one time or more. I use their Carbide tip kit, about $50 when on sale, lasts real long time, compared to reg steel or ceramic ones. I put mine on wheels to move outside on some "cleaning days" for it and can blow it all out then in driveway. You DO have to do that sometimes.

I also just bought a HB one from a show just for heck of it.  Gun hoses not as long or nice, the light is useless, rest seems good. It Does leak at every joint and should be caulked before use or seal between the joints as built. I didn't, the instructions said nothing about it, but is needed. It's window is real small, hard to reach in side door to put on plastic. Window is bolted in with nuts, so not easy to remove to put it on. I'm going to change that and make it a quick remove item and bolt from outside only this summer. Might even make that one swivel up to change plastic easy. 

One final thing.....they always plug or have trouble and can really P*** you off at times! Have fun!

• NUTNDUN, olcowhand, Bruce Dorsi and 4 others have said thanks

#10 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted January 25, 2015 - 03:21 AM

After tearing down the Western Auto Wizard and realizing the whole thing could be sandblasted in a cabinet provided it was large enough I have got the bug to see about getting one. I have posted before that I have wanted one but still have yet to follow through on that want.

I have heard some mention the sandblast cabinets from TP tools. They have their cabinets listed on ebay also which is where I would buy from giving a little credit to the site. Here is the one I am looking at: http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I know the price isn't cheap but I am also looking more at the long term investment and how much we could use it. Are there any other brands that you would recommend or if you have any experience with the TP Tools sandblast cabinets I would love to hear your experience.

Maybe we should call your thread....What is a sandblast cabinet? LOL  :poke:

• NUTNDUN, IamSherwood and KennyP have said thanks

#11 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted January 25, 2015 - 07:41 AM

Look for an old industrial electrical cabinet near the size you want.  they have the good heavy duty doors with gaskets and are heavily made, with very minimal effort it could be converted to a blast cabinet.  there are lots of plans out there for these.  the one thing I can say is that blast cabinets are like tires, if you cheap out you get what you pay for, to not buy a harbor freight one they are not good at all.

Summit has some very nice cabinets but they are expensive.  One other thing to consider is that the cabinet can be whatever you want, it is the blaster that makes the difference.  A $1000 cabinet can be crap with a  $10 blaster in it.  go for a pressure pot blaster at least 80 lb with a good heavy duty compressor behind it and put an air dryer in the line somewhere or you will have troubles blasting in the cold or humid weather.  I have has my fare share of blasting and would not do it ina cabinet at all. to much of a hassle for me

Pete

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#12 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted January 25, 2015 - 09:11 AM

I got the HF bench top on CL for cheap. It needed a little tweeked but works great for small parts. I like SB outside. Personally I would build one & buy a couple more GT's with the money I saved :)
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#13 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted January 25, 2015 - 10:23 AM

For my own purpose I built a sandblast cabinet out of a 2 drawer metal filing cabinet...layed horizontally ....in hind sight it was a bit short but great for all the small parts coming off a vintage truck...If I were to build another I would go larger,,,a 45 gallon barrel makes a suitable container,,layed horizontal again...much more width and depth...1 have a 18cfm @90 compressor

Edited by Jazz, January 25, 2015 - 10:25 AM.

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#14 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 25, 2015 - 12:36 PM

Forgot to mention a vacumm for it. I have a 2" vac fitting on side of mine and use a shop-vac. You need a vac, or will just be a cloud in a minute in cab, lights or not. BUT, the vacs filter clogs real fast and cleaning that becomes another ritual in the blast game. AND, it can be hard on the vacumm too, pulling hard when clogging and straining motor. Some even have the vac exhuast blow out the side of garage for less dust in there. I don't.  I want to get one of those large barrel filters that TP has for there units. Many of those blasters come with that system in the price. I would buy that way if you can. These things have a large bag that blows upward and collects the dust, then when turned off it falls down and dumps the trash in the barrel below. Not sure how often you need to empty, they don't say. Can exhaust that outside too then if you wanted. They have improved the design to last longer and protect the motor on them better now. It all takes up space, but think one is good idea. I want one someday.  If you go to auto shows, they have a popular blaster and vac kit priced lower for show, and is one of the best buys they have.  Once you are a customer, they also offer sales in your email if  you wish or sales flyers in mail. That is when I buy most of my tips and needs. They DO ship quick also.

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#15 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 25, 2015 - 12:40 PM

I built mine out of wood as well.  I just use it for soda blasting carburetors, and small parts.  I used 2x2 for the frame and I had a wood box the lift table came in so I used the wood from it to skin it.  I sealed the corners with caulk and used a vinyl cabinet self liner on the bottom so the baking soda would slide easier.  I originally made my nozzle from an air gun but switched to one of these for the nozzle.  The gloves I got out of HF.

• NUTNDUN said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blast cabinet, sandblaster, sandblast cabinet