Garden Tractor Forums banner

Holy cow! It worked! Pics

1K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Jazz 
#1 ·
We built a garage this past summer and, now that I have a smooth concrete floor, I decided to try something. I usually take the FEL off the Massey in order to mount the snow blade for the winter. I just actually did that today and here it is, the last part of January! Anyway, I kept trying to decided where best to put the FEL for the remainer of the winter. It had to be out of the way but in a place where I could install it again pretty easily when I'm ready. Then it hit me, WHEELS! Why not put the thing on wheels so I can move it around the garage? I had a furniture dolly and decided to order a couple more little three wheel dollys for the stands. I wasn't sure what to expect but, as you can see from the pics, it worked great! I had it where you see it in the pic while I mounted the blade. Once I decided where the tractor was going to park, I pushed the FEL over against the backwall for now. I love it when a plan comes together!

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Tire Wood Plant Vehicle
Wood Floor Flooring Gas Hardwood

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Very nice. Why not just take the bucket off and put a plow on the loader. There have been many times when I've needed to push the piles to 9'+ with my FEL just to get the snow out of the way. Congratulations on the new garage too. Good Luck, Rick
I almost got the plow that mounts on the loader arms but the whole rig became ridiculously long and I didn't have the place to put it under roof like that. This works for me. Here's a picture of the rig with the blade on. Love power angle! Pic was taken last year before garage. You can see the track for the door on the right. This is why I needed a shorter machine.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Attachments

#5 ·
That worked like a charm! That's one of the things I'm really looking forward to whenever I finally finish our new shop.....smooth floors! It's gonna be nice being able to move heavy objects on floor jacks easily. Our old shop's floor is full of irregularities, pits, ridges, etc, and makes for a lot of aggravation. Do those furniture dollies come in 10,000lb versions? :smilewink:

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Do those furniture dollies come in 10,000lb versions? :smilewink:
Kinda doubt it. These ones are good for 300 lbs I believe. Pefect for this application because all the weight in on the bucket end. I was worried about the small wheels but they seem to work well.

#8 ·
I almost got the plow that mounts on the loader arms but the whole rig became ridiculously long and I didn't have the place to put it under roof like that. This works for me. Here's a picture of the rig with the blade on. Love power angle! Pic was taken last year before garage. You can see the track for the door on the right. This is why I needed a shorter machine.

attachicon.gif
Massey blade 1.JPG
That tractor is too pretty to take out in bad weather. You need to get an ugly tractor to use in ugly weather. Good Luck, Rick

#11 ·
Another thing that works well are those dollies your can buy for moving snowmobiles. They have four casters and are rated at 1500 lbs. I've had good success with them.

attachicon.gif
Grip three-piece snowmobile dolly set.jpg
I looked at those but my budget wouldn't allow it. The ones I got work well for this because they are low in the center so the posts sit down in and don't move or try to come off. I'm really pleased with how this works.

#12 ·
That tractor is too pretty to take out in bad weather. You need to get an ugly tractor to use in ugly weather. Good Luck, Rick
But snow is pretty. That pic was taken when I only had a couple of hours on it. It doesn't look quite as good now. You buy them to work, you know?

#13 ·
I would like to see some more pics of the Massey. Looks like the front end loader removed from the tractor easier than the old Johnson loader like I have on my Massey 1655. Being able to wheel it around on the skates is an awesome idea. :thumbs:

#14 ·
I would like to see some more pics of the Massey. Looks like the front end loader removed from the tractor easier than the old Johnson loader like I have on my Massey 1655. Being able to wheel it around on the skates is an awesome idea. :thumbs:
I don't actually have too many pictures of the Massey. Guess I'll have to work on that. Maybe some action shotd if we get this snow that's supposedly coming in.

#15 ·
I don't actually have too many pictures of the Massey. Guess I'll have to work on that. Maybe some action shotd if we get this snow that's supposedly coming in.
You should know by now pics are a much requested aspect of the site. :D

I would definitely like to see more pics of the tractor and see how it is setup. Action shots would be wonderful as well.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
You can salvage the wheels off wrecked shopping carts. .usually victims of the snow plow operator. You can find them out back of your supermarket. I have made carts for years and those wheels have no problem supporting a car or truck.. I likely built my first pair of car skates 25 years ago,,and being able to move vehicles,tractors around or just up against the wall ,,,they are real space savers

Attachments

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
1/4 steel plate,,,,with a piece of angle iron welded at each end to keep vehicle from rolling off...use 2" to keep vehicle from rolling off. I used 1" and it is not suitable,,,if a tire looses air it can roll out the skate,,real special when you are under the car...I learned this a couple weeks ago when I found a car had kicked out a skate so I lifted car back up and set it on the skate..minutes later it kicked the skate out again!...so I brought air up in tire( it was down to 8 lbs) and it was fine...this had never happened before and there is always a vehicle on skates... scrapyard steel of course! My favourite scrapyard gets plenty of goodies from the Bombardier plant across the road...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.